Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sunshinemakesmehappy

Using essential & carrier oils

I am wanting to find out if anyone has tried using carrier oils such as jojoba and essential oils on their skin. What results have you had.

I have been using bergamot, geranium & tea tree with jojoba. My skin is actually getting really dry, very surprising considering I am applying oils.

I used jojoba oil and at first my skin was absolutly perfect, than after about 2 weeks it became dry. I read somewhere that it is a wax, and does not let the skin breath when used pure.

Hi Sunshine...-!

Thank you for starting this topic.

I am actually in the process of doing much research in hopes of creating a facial product that can help myself and others. It is fascinating! I am very interested in natural components, including essential oils.

May I ask, how do you mix the oils, how do you apply the combination and when? And have you ever used oils prior to this?

I do not have my information in front of me, but if I am not mistaken and mixing up oils, I believe bergamot is one of the main ones that should be avoided due to its risk of causing photosensitivity, so that is why I wondered when you were using it, because if it is during the day, I would especially not recommend it. Also, tea tree is very known to be used for the treatment of acne, but personally, I found it to be irritating, and studies show it is an oil with potential of irritating the skin.

Certain oils could promote dryness, absolutely.

Perhaps certain of the oils you are using, or the combination, do not agree with your skin. As you know, many oils can have wonderful benefits, but if the wrong ones are used or the blend isn't ideal, it may not work as effectively for you.

strawberries and sunshine - there is debate at times about jojoba (and yes, it is said to be more of a wax, and yet is still very much considered an oil). It is claimed to be one of the closest matches to our own sebum, and that it helps balance excess oil by absorbing it. It is often said that it does not clog pores, but there are claims that it can. I think it has potential to be a good carrier oil, but perhaps a minimal amount is better.

Maybe emu oil would be a better alternative to jojoba, as it has many benefits and does not clog.

Hope this helps a little! eusa_angel.gif

Li B.

Bergamot is useful for acne and psoriasis. Or so they say. It does slightly increase photosensitivity- just wear suntan lotion. I don't personally like it.

Other oils that are said to help are Cedarwood (caution, common allergen), Clary Sage (my favorite), Lemon (not juice- essential oil), Lavender, Spearmint, Rosemary, Tea Tree and Tangerine.

I personally use Clary Sage, Fennel, Lemongrass and Tea Tree, mixed and diluted in macadamia nut oil and mixed with moisturizer. Very soothing, and a good preventative.

I don't know much about Jojoba- I mostly work with almond, macadamia, avocado, coconut and olive oils. I've heard jojoba is very good, but we don't have an organic supplier 'round here.

Hello sunshine,

Yes, so it was indeed bergamot.

As Mischa mentioned, the oil could be useful for acne, psoriasis, and other skin problems (cold sores, chicken pox, eczema). However, it is still considered one of the most photosensitizing oils, so it would be wise to avoid applying this oil before going outside, especially in direct sunlight. Using it in a cleanser could be a better option. Or, there are also bergamot oils sold with the specific component related to photo-toxicity removed. Perhaps this could be an option.

It is so important to verify the cautions of essential oils, especially in regards to pregnancy, epilepsy and other important conditions. Though everyone's skin is different and can be sensitive to different oils, I feel it is better to avoid oils that are known to have potential of being irritating to the skin. For example, certain citrus oils, etc.

Mischa - thank you for sharing with us a combination that is effective for you.

Clary sage is considered good for mature skin, and I was just curious as to whether you have ever considered trying frankincense instead?

It is nice to hear that the oils you are using are not irritating for you, because certain information warns that fennel, lemongrass and sage could potentially irritate sensitive skin. What skin type do you have?

Take care everyone. eusa_angel.gif

Li B.

Thanks so much for your input everyone.

I have never looked at using oils before and just recently started looking into it.

I was recommended 5 drops bergamot, 5 drops cypress, 3 drops geranium with 25 ml jojoba. I have not been using this exact mix as I have not been able to purchase all the oils at once however I have been using the jojoba, bergamot & geranium followed by dabbing directly to spots with tea tree. Basically with this mix I do 10ml jojoba with 1 drop of bergamot & 1 drop geranuim.

I would not say this it is improving my skin but it is not hurting it either and I certainly feel better about using something that is more naturally derived than many other products I have tried.

This is the info I have on these oils, please let me know if you know anything more or anything different to this info:

Our skins sebum which consists of 25% to 30% liquid wax esters is almost identical to jojoba explaining why it penetrates the skin so well. Jojoba mixes with sebum and does not cause clogging or congesting. In fact, it will help to emulsify clogging and congestion of blackheads by dissolving the blockages. Collagen and elastin is also strengthened by jojoba. Being a wax it is very stable and does not become rancid easily which means it has very high anti-oxidant qualities. This high level of anti-oxidant activity also prevents certain types of bacteria from growing which makes jojoba oil a useful treatment for most skin conditions, especially infections and acne. It must come from a reputable supplier and grower with extraction being cold pressed. Jojoba changes with the weather to give the appropriate level of protection without clogging. If you live in an extremely cold climate sometimes jojoba may solidify, just put it under running water.

How to use: 2-3 drops apply it as you would your moisturiser.

GERANIUM: An antibacterial, which normalises sebum production and is an antiseptic astringent. It foster the regeneration of new skin cells and soothes inflammed skin.

BERGAMOT: Do not use before exposure to UV light. Renowned for cleansing. Antiseptic yet gentle, makes ideal for sensitive pimples and spots

TEA TREE: Highly antiseptic, quality makes ideal for pimples and acne infections. Pimples and acne respond well to direct method.

On a seperate note I have not used BP for a month or so, it did not do much for me so I stopped. Out of desperation I used it the other night and it left red marks. My skin got really dry and I have to say that the jojoba has really helped heal my skin from the extreme dryness it went through, I would normally not get dry skin.

Thanks again everyone.

Hi Sunshine!

I was just wondering - who recommended the specific blend you mentioned, and do you use this in the morning, at night, or both?

I suppose it may make a difference when you are able to use all the oils recommended. Please keep us updated on how this goes for you. eusa_angel.gif

Li B.

Hi guys,

I am a huge fan of carrier and essential oils, and have been using them with success for years. At the moment, I'm using a blend of pure emu oil with 'clarifying synergy' added, which is a blend of Helichrysum, French Lavender, Manuka, German Chamomile and Rose Geranium essential oils. It is absolutely wonderful (although quite expensive).

You can get it from here: Nature's Gift

The Nature's Gift site also offers a wealth of information on essential and carrier oils, which some of you may be interested in.

Hope this is helpful.

Paul.

Paul - thank you for sharing the link.

It is actually one of the many links I have come across in my research of essential oils. I was curious to view the blend you use but don't know exactly where to find it on the site. Could you let myself and others know where to look?

Thank you. eusa_angel.gif

Li B.

I got my mix out of a book I read (I can't remeber the name now!).

I have been using it morning and night. I am glad to hear someone has had success using the oils, as I said I don't think it is clearing me (not that I expect it to) but it certainly is making my skin feel better than ever. I do believe my skin problems lay internally so I am not expecting external products to rid me of my acne, I am expecting them to keep my skin as clean, bacteria free and healthy as possible so that when I do correct things internally hopefully my skin will not look damaged.

Thanks for that site, I will make sure I check it out.

I was curious to view the blend you use but don't know exactly where to find it on the site.  Could you let myself and others know where to look?

Thank you.  eusa_angel.gif

Li B.

Rossignol - thank you!

I remember I definitely visited this site and saw the information, and even copied and pasted to later research certain ingredients! eusa_angel.gif

I'm glad it is working for you, and hope it can work for someone else.

Yesterday I ordered a new cleanser to try (not from the site you provided) and will see how that goes. It is related to ayurveda. Very interesting.

I will let you all know how it is when I receive it.

Li B.

hi Paul,

When you say " with success" does this mean your skin is clear? Has it helped with the marks? And (if clear) how long did it take for your skin to reach the "all-clear" point? I mean - how many weeks, months etc?

Hi guys,

I am a huge fan of carrier and essential oils, and have been using them with success for years. At the moment, I'm using a blend of pure emu oil with 'clarifying synergy' added, which is a blend of Helichrysum, French Lavender, Manuka, German Chamomile and Rose Geranium essential oils. It is absolutely wonderful (although quite expensive).

You can get it from here: Nature's Gift

The Nature's Gift site also offers a wealth of information on essential and carrier oils, which some of you may be interested in.

Hope this is helpful.

Paul.

hi Paul,

When you say " with success" does this mean your skin is clear? Has it helped with the marks? And (if clear) how long did it take for your skin to reach the "all-clear" point? I mean - how many weeks, months etc?

Thanks for the lengthy and frank response. Even though mandelic acid has really helped with controlling my spots - so far - four months later, it hasn't reduced the the red marks/blotchiness on my skin. It has slowly faded some old spot marks though. Have you found any of these oils effective on the red mark front? Tea tree oil doesn't help I know, and I haven't used emu oil consistently enought to see whether this works.

Although I haven't ever used this in isolation, Helichrysum is the main ingredient in the 'clarifying synergy' blend, and it is reputed to have wonderful healing properties on bruises and thread veins, both of which conditions are related to red marks. Helichrysum is also an ingredient in Puredeming's Intense Gel, which people have also found to help with red marks, so it sounds to me as if this might be an effective healer for red marks, particularly if diluted in a healing carrier oil such as emu or hazelnut.

It is, however, extremely expensive. (at least, it is at Nature's Gift, although you're certain of its being high-quality if you buy it from there). If you try it, let me know how you get on!

As an alternative treatment for red marks, I know Antony has been getting great results from using 10g/day of MSM combined with 10g/day Vitamin C - this could work out very expensive over long periods of time, but you could try it over a month or so and see if you get any improvement. I haven't tried it myself, but I think it sounds very interesting.

Personally, I've been taking 2-3g of Vitamin C/day for about a year, and my red marks tend to fade quite quickly. MSM is next on my shopping list! smile.gif

Thanks Paul, your responses always resound with good sense. I think I may try the MSM vitamin C business. The healing process must have somethin to do with internal factors. I wonder how Cameron Diaz manages to have flawless skin after her outbreaks - or is it just make-up?