Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PBJTime

Electric Razors and Skin Keratinization

There are plenty of knowledgeable people here on these forums, so I thought I'd ask a question I haven't been able to find the answer to by searching these forums and by searching the web.

I seem to vaguely recall reading somewhere that shaving with a blade actually takes off the outermost layer of skin (generally speaking, I mean a whole layer of skin isn't actually removed), which forces your skin to replenish lost skin cells by forming new ones. Consequently, frequent shaving can cause irritation as well as clogged pores because the skin tends to rejuvenate itself at a quicker pace.

The above is actually factual, but I was wondering if anyone can confirm the following: When you begin to shave with an electric, keratinization continues as if you were still using a blade, which is why exfoliation during the first 1-2 weeks of use can dramatically decrease any type of irritation from switching to an electric. Then after the 3rd or 4th week of use, keratinization slows down as the skin adjusts to the electric razor not taking a whole layer off.

Does anyone know if that's the case? It makes sense logically, and I think I read that somewhere but it'd be great if anyone could confirm, 'cause then using an electric razor would likely lead to an improvement in acne, especially if coupled with retinoid topicals. (and yes, i'm thinking of switching to an electric for this reason biggrin.gif )