Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was watching a program on the discovery channel just now about various conditions that can effect peoples appearances, they also discussed a study which conclusivly proved that good looking people generally have more friends, earn more money and are more likely to be helped in an emergancy.

I hate society.

I guess thats a big f*ck-you to all the people that believe "its whats on the inside that counts" eh?

I was watching a program on the discovery channel just now about various conditions that can effect peoples appearances, they also discussed a study which conclusivly proved that good looking people generally have more friends, earn more money and are more likely to be helped in an emergancy.

I hate society.

I guess thats a big f*ck-you to all the people that believe "its whats on the inside that counts" eh?

Didnt we all know that already seeing as that its common knowledge that if ur born beautiful, tall and slim then you can be a model and earn a living off your looks-a damm good living.

its not fair evil.gif

I am living proof that this theory is true. I am dashingly handsome, have loads of mates and have a massive bank balance because that is only matched by the size of my ego. As for the help in emergency thing, the other day I walked into a ladder whilst admiring my reflextion in a shop window. The window cleaner who was at the top fell off and broke both his legs, fractured his arm and had a bucket stuck on his head. When the ambulance arrived, they imediatly rushed me to hospital suffering from a stubbed toe and slightly bruised ego. The poor window cleaner had to make his own way to hospital, which must have been pretty difficult, with the aforementioned bucket on his head.

I am living proof that this theory is true. I am dashingly handsome, have loads of mates and have a massive bank balance because that is only matched by the size of my ego. As for the help in emergency thing, the other day I walked into a ladder whilst admiring my reflextion in a shop window. The window cleaner who was at the top fell off and broke both his legs, fractured his arm and had a bucket stuck on his head. When the ambulance arrived, they imediatly rushed me to hospital suffering from a stubbed toe and slightly bruised ego. The poor window cleaner had to make his own way to hospital, which must have been pretty difficult, with the aforementioned bucket on his head.

lol.gif you are joking arent you??

i dunno i'm one the lame saps taht say it's on the inside that counts to

if you a bitch or a huge ego trip no matter how hot you are you can fuck off

IMO being nice is probably one of the most attractive things in a person =)

Guest David

I actually recall reading an article that directly contradicts this; it said people find it easier to make friends with average looking people rather than good looking people since subconsciously we prefer friends to have some kind of flaw in them.

Either way, don't look for excuses. Just live your life the way you want and fuck everyone who doesn't accept it. Don't take that last line literally.

Peace.

Guest Benzamycin

I hate society.

'its what is on the inside that counts'

that commonly used line would be true if society is filled with people like us , and other not superficial people.

Beauty = a factor of success

no wonder ive been so unsuccessful in everything..

whereas my pretty older sister does nothing, and is so damn successful!

great to know.

if my sister and i get in a car accident, i know who will get help first.

When i had clear skin and was tan i got asked out less than i do now. And the guys that asked me out were always the biggest assholes. I don't know if people used to be afraid to approach me or what? Or maybe i'm nicer now? Either way, I had more confidence in myself tho then... which made a big difference in how happy I was. Though i do agree overall, beautiful people do get away with more.

It is worth considering that people who are more attractive may tend to be genetically more advantaged in other ways as well, as a result of their attractive progenitors tending to attract mates who themselves were "the pick of the genetic litter"-- ie the highest-status males having the choice of the highest-status females and vice-versa, ie alpha males mating with alpha females for "super-status" offspring.

For example, studies have demonstrated that the more symmetrical an individual is (facial symmetry universally corresponding with degree of perceived attractiveness), the higher he or she will tend to score on IQ tests.

I find it ironic that so many who post in threads here lamenting the unfairness and cruelty of "the cult of beauty" have pictures of attractive celebrities in their sigs and/or avatars.

We find people attractive for the most basic biological reasons, accounting for socialized preferences to some extent.

It is not our fault that a symmetrical face signals an individual's strong developmental stability-- ie physically manifesting their genetic code for proportional facial development despite a harsh environment-- or that clear skin signals normalized sensitivity of hormone receptors on the oil glands rather than the abnormal sensitivity of oil gland receptors in those with acne. Nor is it our fault that men tend to find women with a 3:2:3 breast:hip:waist ratio and a BMI of 17-22 more attractive, just as women tend to find men who are taller than themselves, have broad shoulders, are strong and powerful, and have a BMI of 23-25, more attractive than other men. Of course there ARE exceptions to all this, but by and large this is what humanity seeks out and prefers in mates.

Monozygous twins (100% genetically identical) raised apart rarely vary more than 5 to 10 points in their performance on IQ tests (regardless of the validity of IQ tests for evaluating whatever we understand is meant by 'intelligence,' the fact that two genetically identical individuals perform almost the same on tests despite being raised apart makes an interesting point in favor of nature in the nature-vs-nurture debate). Many individuals clearly have higher intelligence as a result of a highly intelligent family background, and the likely genetic component of certain heritable abilities, especially in mathematics and music, is likely only heightened by their upbringing in such an environment. Almost everyone who is professionally musical or mathematical tends to have at least one other person within their immediate family who is as well, and the majority of students currently enrolled in medical school in the US have at least one parent who is him- or herself a doctor.

Taken as such, how is it any more "shallow" to find someone attractive for their genetically and environmentally bestowed appearance than to find them attractive for their genetically and environmentally besotwed intelligence? Some people ARE as born with intelligence as others are born with looks. Ramanujan was a poor Indian child born in the middle of nowhere and went on to become arguably the greatest calculational prodigy in the history of mathematics-- this was an instance of freak-of-nature genetic quirkiness without almost any particularly conducive environmental advantage. Elle "The Body" MacPherson's own genetics pre-programmed her to develop "the perfect female body" at 36-24-36, without any great effort on her part in that direction.

Why should it be shallow for a man to find Elle MacPherson attractive for her beauty but NOT shallow for a woman to have found Ramanujan attractive for his mind?

Your outside is as much a part of who you are as your inside. That is why we should love our bodies and take care of ourselves as best as we can-- we only have one body our entire lives (well, maybe except for Michael Jackson!). And while who you are on your inside may be more of a personal accomplishment within your control, who you are on your outside is a genetic accomplishment that tells everyone who looks at you where your genes have been and where they are going. As politically incorrect as that is, it is as important for our unconscious impressions and mating decisions as any amount of personality. Thankfully though we DO tend to see far more interesting personalities and "better" inner qualities in those who are not as attractive, probably because a deep inner intuition tells such people that they had better compensate for their looks with some redeeming qualities in order to 'stay in the game' and still manage to propagate their genes.

Guest Avian
Thankfully though we DO tend to see far more interesting personalities and "better" inner qualities in those who are not as attractive, probably because a deep inner intuition tells such people that they had better compensate for their looks with some redeeming qualities in order to 'stay in the game' and still manage to propagate their genes.

Is this true? We expect more of the personalities of unattractive people? And will settle for a dud personality as long as the person is attractive?

To me, this means that acne sufferers have a harder time being accepted and making friends. 'Period'.

The more attractive you are the more you can "get away" with being duller, dumber or even meaner. And I believe that people who are less attractive realise this on some intuitive level and correspondingly have a greater compulsion, a greater 'need', to cultivate and "flesh out" their inner qualities (intelligence, charm, humor, wisdom, grace, kindness, experience, various skills and abilities) in order to compensate and be more "attractive" as a package for potential mates.

The more attractive you are the more you can "get away" with being duller, dumber or even meaner. And I believe that people who are less attractive realise this on some intuitive level and correspondingly have a greater compulsion, a greater 'need', to cultivate and "flesh out" their inner qualities (intelligence, charm, humor, wisdom, grace, kindness, experience, various skills and abilities) in order to compensate and be more "attractive" as a package for potential mates.

Futurama - I Dated A Robot

----

Narrator [in movie]: Ordinary human dating. It's enjoyable and it serves an important purpose. [He turns the table over and a crying baby appears. He turns it back again.] But when a human dates an artificial mate, there is no purpose. Only enjoyment. And that leads to...tragedy.

[The woman behind him turns into a blank robot and the man downloads a celebrity onto it.]

Billy [in movie]: Neato! A Marilyn Monroebot!

Monroebot [in movie]: Ooo! You're a real dreamboat (mechanical voice) Billy Everyteen!

Narrator [in movie]: Harmless fun? Let's see what happens next!

[The scene cuts to Billy's bedroom. He is kissing the Monroebot. Enter his mother.]

Billy's Mom [in movie]: Billy, do you want to walk your dog?

Billy [in movie]: No thank Mom, I'd rather make out with my Monroebot.

[Enter his dad.]

Billy's Dad [in movie]: Billy, do want to get a paper route and earn some extra cash?

Billy [in movie]: No thanks dad, I'd rather make out with my Monroebot.

[Enter his girlfriend, Mavis, from the café.]

Mavis [in movie]: Billy, do you want to come over tonight? We can make out together.

Billy [in movie]: Gee Mavis, your house is across the street, that's an awfully long way to go for making out.

Narrator [in movie]: Did you notice what went wrong in that scene? Ordinarily Billy would work hard to make money from his paper route then he'd use the money to buy dinner for Mavis, thus earning the slim chance of performing the reproductive act. But in a world where teens can date robots why should he bother? Why should anyone bother? Let's take a look at Billy's planet a year later. [The scene changes and a foam hand rolls across an empty American football field] Where are all the football stars? [The foam hand continues to drift across an empty laboratory.] And where are the biochemists? [The scene changes to a split screen of a pair of human and robots making out on beds.] They are trapped - trapped in a soft, vice-like grip of robot lips. All civilisation was just an effort to impress the opposite sex. And sometimes the same sex. Now, let's skip forward 80 years into the future. Where is Billy?

[The scene changes to a post-apocalyptic world. Billy is an aged man but he is still with his Monroebot and still making out with her.]

Billy [in movie]: Farewell!

[He dies.]

Narrator [in movie]: The next day Billy's planet was destroyed by aliens. [in the movie a fleet of flying saucers destroy buildings with a quick laser shot.] Have you guessed the name of Billy's planet? It was Earth. Don't Date Robots!

[A caption appears on the screen with the same words on it and the movie ends. The space pope is displayed on the screen with Crocodylus Pontiflex written around him in English and alien.]

Announcer [voice-over; in movie]: Brought to you by the space pope!

For the most part, it is true that the more attractive you are the more you could get away with, but that's just the way society looks at things. In a capitalistic society it is the perfect plan to make the majority feel unattractive. Companies are just going to profit off your insecurities. If you end up believing what the capitalistic society makes you believe then your in trouble. Yeah i'm sure there are certain features on people that make them more attractive, but it wouldn't affect you or bother you as much if society didn't rub it in like they do. In conclusion, i would like to say everything is mental. Focus and spend time thinking about the things that are the truth and that make you happy as opposed to things that were made up to make you feel helpless and depressed and unattractive.

Can I mention that whether you guys know it or not, a lot of celebrities were not that beautiful before they went under the knife...granted, there are naturally beautiful people in this world, whom we hate and love at the same time. However, being beautiful does not mean you will be successful. If you look at a lot of the celebrity pictures before they were famous, most of them looked like you and me (minus the acne maybe, but hey, nobodys perfect! We can fix that!). Marilyn Monroe wasnt even considered that beautiful before her nose, teeth, and chin surgeries, among others. And that is just ONE example! Oh-here's another one: a woman who everyone loves: Oprah Winfrey! Probably not the most beautiful woman you've ever seen in the world, but, boy oh boy, is she successful!

Hope this helped a little cuz it helps me when I'm feeling blue biggrin.gif

I'm not sure that this is true on every occasion. I applied for a job a few weeks ago, it's this summer job that I have acutally done before, so everyone thought that I would get it. I'm pretty cute during the summer since my tan covers my red spots, but instead of hiring me, they hired some big fat lady. Who had no prior experience. So much for let's hire the sexy one.

Let's not bring marilyn into this. She was still a model before she had plastic surgery and still beautiful. The plastic surgery was hollywood's way of perfecting her into a money making machine. She was never plain or average- maybe when she was a kid- but not after 16 years old when she was married. I saw pics of her and she was pretty. If you want to see someone who didn't look great before plastic surgery, it's catherine zeta jones. there's a pic of her from 1990 when she was on the cover of a magazine. looks like a different person.