Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

oooooh, my first full-fledged topic; i am electric with excitement...

anyways, i'm writing to ask for some inspiration. after MANY painful, seemingly-psychotic episodes where i despised every single aspect of my physical self, i am FINALLY arriving at a state of comfort and gratitude with my body. how i got here, i am not quite sure, although i do know that this state of mind has always been my goal. perhaps after wanting to think a certain way for a very long time, i am actually doing so? i am not obsessing about my skin, my weight, my hair, my nose, my breasts, my veins, my whatever. i have thankfully chilled the fuck out, and i hope that anyone else who feels overwhelmed with shame and crippling insecurity also reaches a point of self-acceptance and appreciation.**

--anyways--

nonetheless, i still have acne, am overweight and am generally (but not severely) unhealthy. but since feeling ugly/unwanted are no longer motivating factors to "fix myself," i no longer have motivation! and that, my friends, is bullshit. so my question is: how, for the sole purpose of good health, do you motivate yourself to be good to your body? when desperation (which used to be the match under my heels) is not there, how do you convince yourself to be good? i plan on doing antony's program over the summer, and that will take an obscene, but hopefully rewarding, amount of dedication, but doing his program for a month is not at all a lifestyle change. i know in the long term that eating healthy, exercising and taking care of my appearance will enrich my life, but right now it just doesn't bother me so much... how do you change your lifestyle if you're not unhappy but you know you should do better?

any and all advice is welcomed. oh, and i know that maybe this would be more suited to the emo forum, but i love the good people who frequent the diet/health section, as it is diet and health that i am trying to improve...

**or at least this is how i feel and how i've felt for a while now... perhaps if someone comments on how unshapely and horrific my blankis/are, i will flip out. but who knows. maybe not. being obsessed with how i look is nauseating and is not a place that i would like to return to. thank you, but no.

for me, it was being in a state of desperation that forced me to change my eating habits/lifestyle. but now, my skin is nearly clear, and i feel like there's no way i could ever go back to eating the way i used to. the other day, i ate a small bowl of cereal (full of sugar, wheat, other crap), and i was like, "why did i just eat that?!" and i felt really gross. i've just come to realize that everything you put in your mouth will help you or hurt you (there are some exceptions of course) and i can't bring myself to put tons of junk in my mouth anymore. when i started eating better for my skin, i would always think, "i can't wait until i grow out of acne, because then i'm going to eat all the pizza and ice cream i want!" now, i know that i will ALWAYS want to eat healthy. it's really really hard at first to eat well all the time, but then it just becomes normal to you and it's hard to imagine not eating that way (at least for me). anyway, that's not to say that i won't ever eat some ice cream again. i think occasional junk food is fine once you're healthy, and you shouldn't totally deprive yourself.

by the way, i don't think that eating well is necessarily a cure for acne. i think it's necessary, and may be enough for some people, but often there are extra things that need to be done. but even if all you do is change your diet, you will probably feel better in general no matter what you look like -- although i don't doubt that it will make you look healthier as well (skin and weight).

by the way, congratulations on overcoming your insecurities. something i am still working on.

I highly recommend yoga, if you don't do it already. Along with diet, it is the most important thing I do for myself. Doing it regularly has eliminated my menstrual cramps, and nothing is as big of a boost for my overall well-being, sense of self, dealing with stress, etc. It is like an overall remedy for your whole being, physical and otherwise. It also feels so good, it's not too hard to motivate yourself to do it. Find a class that you like and go once a week, twice if you can afford it. There are lots of different kinds of yoga and some disciplines are more or less appealing depending on who you are and what you want to get out of it, but most studios offer your first class free, so just go test some out. And don't be intimidated; you will find all shapes, sizes, ages, flexibility levels etc in a yoga class, (unless you go to some Bikram class in Hollywood).

dear kaleidoscope and cjb,

thanks very much for your replies! from what both you two have said, it seems that the key is to just do it and the good feelings and endurance and discipline will follow. that is great advice and encouragement, and i will try once more, do my thing for a while and update on any changes.

thanks again,

i.g.m.p.

:]

hi there, im sorry about the slow response, but i am new to this forum so just read your post recently.i agree with the responses people have given to this post, and can also relate to the original poster. i had a lot of problems (emotional and physical) as well as acne to battle, and most diet programs or conventional medications only made a small dent in my overall health. it was frustrating for me to desperately try one thing after the other (b5, etc) without getting the same results other people were getting. i realized that i personally needed to make some drastic changes (at least for a little while) in order to undo the extensive damage i had inflicted on my body in the past. i finally accepted the fact that although my friends had gone through similar things (and some continue to do so) without the same repracussions, my body is not the same as theirs and repsonds differently. i also managed to stop being so obsessively self-absorbed in my insecurities that i realized hey! my friends have health problems too! like the poster, i had to reach an all time low (twice!) before i was able to change my life around.mindset is the most important and yet difficult thing. loving yourself is very hard, and i congratulate you (ivegotmyphilosophy) on your progress!

my advice to you would be to continue to challenge yourself. find holes in your confidence and happiness and pursue them. for me, the biggest hurdle was managing to go out in public without makeup. i still struggle with this when meeting a friend i havent seen for a long time, or going to an important event. but challenging myself in thsi way has left me so much happier and more relaxed. somewhere in the bottom of my brain i actually harbored the absurd fear that "people wont like me as much if they see what my complexion really looks like." challenging that fear forced me to face the fact that my friends, in fact, do not care what my skin looks like. the makeup, which i believed mad eme "feel better," actually stressed me out further. getting rid of it (as scary as it was initially) relieved a lot of stress about my complexion. i think what also helps is to make up a list of things that you want from yourself. thsi can be anything from losing weight or clearing your complexion to going to bed earlier. whatever you would like to change aout yourself. then systematically go about achieving the goals on your list. most importantly, dont give up or stop halfway through- force yourself to stay consistent in your changes. this helped me immensely, as i tend to get discouraged easily and feel hopeless. write down the changes youve been making and put them somewhere where you can see them- looking at what youve accomplished is a great motivator.

one thing i can also recommend is some sort of fasting. this might include eating only cucumbers for 3 days, or drinking nothing but vegetable juice, or antonys apple fast, or whatever suits your need (try to avoid sugary fruit juices if you can, and i would also advise getting some fiber as well- whether its from apples or cucumbers or psyllium seed husk). besides all of the physical benefits, mroe then anything i find a fast to be mentally beneficial- it is an excellent excersise in restraint and nothing beats that feeling of accomplishment. if you can, spring is the best time to try fasting.

good luck with antonys program! it didnt work for me (with all of my problems and history of abusing my body it just wasnt strong enough), but it seems to work for a lot of people, i hope you are one of them. if it doesnt, dont despair- i had to turn to alternative methods and i didnt find them particularly more challenging then his plan. even leos guides are not that restrictive and fairly beneficial if taken in their correct phases and in moderation.

do as much research as you can from reliable sources, and use it to evaluate other sources (such as leo or antony or whoever) so that you may gain insight from them, too. wirte everything down so that you dont feel overwhelmed or confused. for me undoing the damage and staying motivated has been the hardest part, and now that im in the 4th month of experimenting i finally am seeing real, permanent results. once you get through this period, you will find the positive changes youll experience to be motivation enough. the main thing is to get started.

again, good luck! would love to hear how you re doing/what youve been trying.

Do it for everyone who ever said something bad about your physical appearnace. The best revenge is not destroying your enemies, but surpassing them.

Do it because it's easier to live healthy than it is to live unhealthy. It's a common misconception that the lazy people have it easier off. It's actually easier to work "hard" and eat well than it is to live in unhealthy misery.

And do it for yourself. Do it so that you can look in the mirror and smile ear to ear, knowing that everything you are today is something you have created from scratch.

And start here: Dr. Mercola's Nutrition Plan

I believe Dr. Mercola is the most knowledgeable physician out there today and you should take his advice to heart. By following his articles, his book and eventually becoming a patient at his clinic, I have overcome acne as well as many other health challenges. I know that if I can overcome my challenges, you can too.

igotmyphilosophy,

I just want to say that your post really touched me and I very affectionately and sincerely wish you the best of success in your pursuit of self-improvement; above all, I wish you all the happiness you deserve for yourself. Good luck IGMP. smile.gif

Have'nt posted for a while, but like Antony I found your post funny and touching so feel like i want to say so wink.gif

Damn, ain't it hard though? That whole keeping up the good work thing is a struggle, especially this time of year when the sun is shining, the booze is flowing and everyone is having a fabulous time eatin what they want and putting all sorts of junk into their bodies....a huge lesson in self restraint. Right now my skin is probably the best its ever been, and like you igotmy, I have learned to accept the bits that are'nt that pefect in a way that is directly related to the improvements my skin has made. Still working on the foundation rock of a deeply ingrained insecurity accumulated through my adult life (!) but on the whole a hell of alot freer in my outlook and mindset....I have finally chilled the fuck out too!

But how to keep the faith? Good question which unfortunately I still have'nt found an answer to as I am currently struggling with the evil weed (tobacco) yet again after six whole months of knocking it on the head - sigh! Ironically i started it up again after going on my second detoxing water fast (like fiveam I can really recommend the whole fasting experience, both mentally and physically). Christ knows what happened, but one minute i was an occasional social smoker and the next I was puffing away daily. I guess living with a chain smoker (my boy-friend) does'nt exactly help givin up and stickin to it, but i managed it before so not sure what gave really. Hey ho.

Saying that I think sometimes you need to relapse, just to show you waht you did it for in the first place, you know? Being hard on yourself during these times is just counter productive and causes more stress which ultimately is no good for you anyway. I think you just need to make a long term committment to yourself to be healthy from month to month and year to year - if you slip up on a day to day basis then so what? Don't worry about it, just wake up tomorrow and make it different.

I think the most potent way to keep being good to your body is to do things that you truely, genuinely and sincerely love doing, so if you choose a form of excercise make sure it is something that really buzzes you, if you cook wholesome healthy food use a recipe that you will love every mouthful of. That way the interest is already there and you will be more likely to look forward to treating your body like a temple. And then when you feel happy with your new and improved healthy self, you can look forward to treating it a bit more like an amusement park!

Ultimately it's about enjoying your quality of life now, and if being healthy is part of that then it is vital to sieze the day and make it happen while you are still young enough to appreciate it.

Good luck with Antonys program igotmy, from my experience of a 3 and 5 day water fast (not a whole month of strict eating, supplementation and cleansing I know), it feels impossible at first and then day by day gets a bit easier until I got to a point where i was loving every minute of it and felt and looked the best i have felt and looked since being an energetic and worry free kid - and if that is'nt a selling point i don't know what is!