Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest niko

Cortisone Shots for Permanent Filler

Just an update on my cortisone shot. It has been about 2.5 weeks now, and I must say, that cortisone shot was the best thing i've ever done. I am starting to become convinced I had a cyst in there and not filler (though it was near where filler was injected). I had problems with redness, and it would get bigger/smaller, etc. Well, no redness now, no bump, nothing. And where I thought I had lost filler, it has filled in to where it was before. I had a small indent there still, and I decided to do a little restylane myself there. Its been about 4 days since injected restylane, and it looks tremendous (not sure how much of it is swelling, etc).

Anyways, I fought with that bump for 5-6 months. I seemed to have conquered it (though like watching a horror movie, i am not sure it won't reappear). Amazing how a red bump can preoccupy you.

I'll see how the restylane goes. Not sure I want to keep injecting that every 2-3 months. I may actually consider more bio-alcamid in that area, and any others that need touch-up next year sometime, now that I think it wasn't an overinjection. I am pleased with the bio-alcamid results now (w/Anna injecting).

Hi, mrstupor,

Nice work and I feel happy for you.

So, in your book, cortisone shot is the best solution if the bump is actually a cyst. What if the bump was indeed caused by BA filler, would you still think cortisone shot a solution for that?

I still have a few lumps and they're driving me nuts. The information I've collected thus far gave me a few options - 1. cortisone shot ?? (if there is a dermatologist out there who is experienced and skillful in this procedure) 2. Find Dr. Soren White in NYC (Is he still practicing in NYC? I just kept getting voice mail.) and have him take a look at it. It seems to me that he is the ONLY DOC in USA that has experience with BA and knows how to eliminate it. 3. Going back to Tijuana and spend $500 for one touch-up (guess what, they don't even feel interested in answering my email, maybe $500 is not enough for them for one hour of work)

option 1 seems convenient for me if I could find a local doc who is willing to do it for me. Option 2 takes some traveling but should be less risky.

I'm still awaiting response from niko as to what doc he was seeing (Dr. Swartz?) but haven't heard anything from him.

Good day

JL

I have bioalcamid from clinicestetica too. Almost 3 years old. As I'm getting older though the lower face is falling and the BA doesn't look so great. the clinic removed a little a year ago and moved the filler around in my face, but I'd like some more removed, but haven't figured out how to yet. I'd have to pay $500 just to see the doctor down there and the airfare, etc.

Has anyone found a dr. in california to do this?

Also where can one get restylane from canada. And is it really that easy to inject oneself?????

Luz, just curious, how much bio-alcamid did you get put in? how much in each area? was it only for acne scars?

as far as restylane, you can buy at any canadian pharmacy, and its pretty simple to inject.

I have bioalcamid from clinicestetica too. Almost 3 years old. As I'm getting older though the lower face is falling and the BA doesn't look so great. the clinic removed a little a year ago and moved the filler around in my face, but I'd like some more removed, but haven't figured out how to yet. I'd have to pay $500 just to see the doctor down there and the airfare, etc.

Also where can one get restylane from canada. And is it really that easy to inject oneself?????

Guest niko

How is everyone doing. I haven't attempted anything yet. I'm considering Cortisone shots though. Is Jenny still here?

Hi Everyone,

I've been removing Bio-Alcamid lately. I space my injections out once per month, mostly because it is so painful and I don't want to puncture holes repeatedly in a short period of time. I use an 18 gauge sterile needle and go as deep as I can handle. In my experience, the lump gets smaller only when you draw blood, if you don't, there is no improvement. In each of my injections I have seen improvement, but like everyone else said, it's a slow process. The lump has decreased by 30 to 40% since I started removing the Bio-Alcamid, and I hope to get once last bit out before I'm done with trying to remove more, its a small lump anyhow (which is why I thought it would be easy to remove).

Hi Everyone,

I've been removing Bio-Alcamid lately. I space my injections out once per month, mostly because it is so painful and I don't want to puncture holes repeatedly in a short period of time. I use an 18 gauge sterile needle and go as deep as I can handle. In my experience, the lump gets smaller only when you draw blood, if you don't, there is no improvement. In each of my injections I have seen improvement, but like everyone else said, it's a slow process. The lump has decreased by 30 to 40% since I started removing the Bio-Alcamid, and I hope to get once last bit out before I'm done with trying to remove more, its a small lump anyhow (which is why I thought it would be easy to remove).

Hello, I thought i would use my experience with aqaumid removal (similar to Bio-Alc).

I found the best way to remove it fast and is recommended by the company is to inject a saline solution into the area with the BA or Aquamid. Then aspirate it out. Everytime my cosmetic physician does this i get about 50 percent or more out easily, sometimes in one go, she was instructed by the aquamid representative on how to do this.

We tried the needle only method but going in so many times actually created scar tissue to form that would replace the lost augmentation so its not so good. With the saline solution its basically a one shot its over method. The only problem is that when we blindly take it out we need to reinject very conservatively just to make sure everything is even. This is the case with the needle method too, cept with the needle method you end up getting lots of scar tissue aswell from going in too many times.

I've had this taken out since 2004 and tried all methods.

REMEMBER: Space your removal 2-4 months apart so you are not chasing any residual swelling. Even longer if you've been continuously removing...you could have alot of edemas staying around that would distort the true picture.

Every time I have tried removing b-a from my one bump, it seems to have worked after about 1 week (when swelling is compleltely gone), but then always seems to come back. This has happened each of the 3 times I have done it. So, I have gotten some reduction in the bump, but still have some left that I would like to get rid off. My bump is about 1 cm by 1 cm. I also sleep on it, so I think that may aggravate it some, as I still have problem with redness. I haven't done anything with it for over a month.

I am considering needling it. The theory being that this will poke the encapsulate b-a, and cause it to leak out, then i would apply alot of pressure to the bump, and hopefully this would cause the b-a to move around some. Who knows. I just think that I am not getting much b-a out the other way. Any thoughts?

this is because scar tissue is forming in its place.

You need to get your doctor to inject a saline solution to break up the encapsulated filler and make it float and dissipate throughout the injected saline solution. Then you can aspirate it out completely in one go, then in a few month reinject conservatively to even it out

Well I guess we have some interesting trial and error going on. I came across a thread about a doctor in California named Dr. Schwartz. Apparently he succesfully used liposuction to remove Bio-alcamid from someone's face. I'll dig it up...very interesting. I think Bio-Alcamid can migrate when you puncture it. Reason being...after I tried to have it removed the deep scar it was originally correcting came back just as prominent. A few months later the Bio swelled/migrated in that area and the scar is 100 percent unnoticable. Anyway...i've been in contact with a doctor from Ireland who is experienced in Bio. He admits it's not easy to get out at all. He seems to be a really nice guy and is brainstorming ideas himself. I will keep you all informed.

Yep i had it migrate...but we chased the migration down...with saline...we find the area its migrated too...inject the saline locally...then its reduced alot.

went to clinic estetica for three series of ba last year. somewhat improved scars, but they did overinject. they refused to try to remove it. during my consult they said it can be easily removed if they overinject. does anyone know how to get in touch with dr schwartz, or have his full name? does anyone know how to reach dr schwartz in nyc? my google search wasnt successful.

I think it can be removed easily if you plan properly and use the correct technique...I wish i had known that at the start!

The needle only method was useless

i had about 20 scars injected on each cheek , 3 sessions , the last in aug 2004. my face took on a fat bloated appearance which i have never had before. an earlier post stated a consult with dr soren white said this could be from the bioalcamid. i called dr white and he confirmed this.

my problem is a little different. its not one site which is ovberinjected, a lump, but an overall fat appearance.

does anyone have any helpful thoughts on this? i called dr casavantes and he said he could remove it, even though my injections were minimal amounts of bio. i also have another dr who can do it as well.

i guess the feedback im looking for is a confirmation that the bio may indeed have caused the bloated look, before i have it removed.

thank you

These fillers are water based so they tend to inflate alot...if you are having a bloating effect maybe try some arnica cream or anti-inflamatory to help with it.

Hi Jayjay,

I had been getting some weak cortisone injections for the BA lumps. It is an extremely slow process to shrink the lumps this way. However, I am concerned about tissue atrophy injecting too much cortisone or if my doctor happens to miss. For some of my smaller lumps, I had thought of injecting saline into them, thus dissolving the implant and massaging it to spread the BA out more evenly. Do you think this might work (without actually physically removing the BA)? Was it really a "one-shot deal" to remove the BA injecting saline first before aspiration? I ask because later in your post, you also mention that the removal should be spaced out 2-4 months. I'd think it would involve a bit of trial and error to get it right. Also, could you PM me the name of your doctor who did this for you?

Thanks,

kooky

Hi Jayjay,

I had been getting some weak cortisone injections for the BA lumps. It is an extremely slow process to shrink the lumps this way. However, I am concerned about tissue atrophy injecting too much cortisone or if my doctor happens to miss. For some of my smaller lumps, I had thought of injecting saline into them, thus dissolving the implant and massaging it to spread the BA out more evenly. Do you think this might work (without actually physically removing the BA)? Was it really a "one-shot deal" to remove the BA injecting saline first before aspiration? I ask because later in your post, you also mention that the removal should be spaced out 2-4 months. I'd think it would involve a bit of trial and error to get it right. Also, could you PM me the name of your doctor who did this for you?

Thanks,

kooky

Yes its definitely trial and error...but i have found the saline one to the most effective (even tho there is some error involved).

I dunno if spreading it around will work...it would seriously be hard to make it more even seeming you dont exactly know where it is...I guess it could be possible...But once you inject the saline and spread it your moving the product all over the place and it would be even harder to track it all down if its still not right...i'd say its better to remove some of it and re-inject...Also i've found your never going to get it as even as if you take some of it out and then add some back to even it out. This is where i say to wait 2-4 months so that you know exactly what you have before you either remove more or add back to make it even. Aquamid and BA tend to look deflated early then inflate at about a month post op.

It was a one shot with with some, some took 2 times at most. I wouldn't inject anymore cortizone that sounds so dangerous and can cause serious skin damage.

I rang up the company and they instructed my physician on how to do it...perhaps ring up the company that supplies BA and ask them if the saline solution is approved over there--they usually have state trainers that can tell you what you need to do and who is the most qualified in your area.

When i got it re-injected i did it without a nerve block to avoid any kind of swelling prior to make sure we knew exactly what we were injecting. Was painful but not impossible :) -- keep your spirits up...this stuff can definitely come out given the right planning and technique -- i am just telling people so that they wont make the same trials and errors i did when there are more easier and faster techniques available. I would have been finished ages ago if i didn't bother with that needle puncture technique.

Also on a side note...My doc also tried injecting a temporary(collagen) over it and found that to be a disaster. Reason being aquamid and BA tend to swell as they are made up of water...so they inflate while your temporary doesn't and this made it look uneven. Lesson learnt, dont try and take shortcuts!

HTH

I've been away from the forums for awhile, and I come back and there is some good discussion about bio-alcamid removal. excellent.

My bump/overinjection is doing pretty well. It is not near as noticeable after the cortisone shot I had 3-4 months ago. There is a small bump still there, that I would like to still remove completely, but all the redness/irritation is long gone since the cortisone, so I'm happy.

I'm a little confused by this saline injection to dissolve implant and then aspirate. Are you saying to inject saline with a 30G(?) needle and then immediately suck it back out with the same needle? Can you even aspirate with a small 30G needle? Does the B-A implant dissolve that quickly? Or do you inject with saline and then wait awhile and then aspirate? Not really sure how this aspiration is done. Sounds promising, but I'm still confused. Also, exactly what type of saline solution do you use?

As far as scar tissue build-up that you talk about above ..... maybe thats what I had, and maybe thats why cortisone shot worked. If its scar tissue build-up, sounds like removal technique above may not work as there may be zero B-A left, just scar tissue.

I've been away from the forums for awhile, and I come back and there is some good discussion about bio-alcamid removal. excellent.

My bump/overinjection is doing pretty well. It is not near as noticeable after the cortisone shot I had 3-4 months ago. There is a small bump still there, that I would like to still remove completely, but all the redness/irritation is long gone since the cortisone, so I'm happy.

I'm a little confused by this saline injection to dissolve implant and then aspirate. Are you saying to inject saline with a 30G(?) needle and then immediately suck it back out with the same needle? Can you even aspirate with a small 30G needle? Does the B-A implant dissolve that quickly? Or do you inject with saline and then wait awhile and then aspirate? Not really sure how this aspiration is done. Sounds promising, but I'm still confused. Also, exactly what type of saline solution do you use?

As far as scar tissue build-up that you talk about above ..... maybe thats what I had, and maybe thats why cortisone shot worked. If its scar tissue build-up, sounds like removal technique above may not work as there may be zero B-A left, just scar tissue.

I'm happy your injection worked! thats great news :)...you must have had abit of scar tissue build up, definitely.

I was just wondering, who recommended the cortizone technique to you?

I'm not exactly sure how my doctor does the saline technique...but ring up the company representative and they will instruct your doctor on what to do. I think what happens (from my lack of medical knowledge lol) is that she injects the saline and squeezes it out onto a tissue or medical pad. She says the aquamid looks clear when it comes out.

As you've still got a lump, i bet theres still some BA left, i dont think the scar tissue would cause that much augmentation. You kind of know when the Product is gone...you lose alot of augmentation, and it feels different.

Try and feel around for the product...i usually can feel a hard lump where the filler is -- altho i guess this would be different for everyone!

Hope this helps you out...keep me updated with your progress mrstupor.

jayjay,

how is it squeezed out? i am still confused.

is it aspirated by a needle, or is it squeezed out like pimple after making a hole with a larger gauge needle?

thanks.

jayjay,

how is it squeezed out? i am still confused.

is it aspirated by a needle, or is it squeezed out like pimple after making a hole with a larger gauge needle?

thanks.

Yes its squeezed out like a pimple, after injecting the saline with a larger gauge needle.

Kooky, if you try to inject saline solution to dissolve and move around, let me know how it goes. At this point, I am content with the smallish overfill I have. I don't want to mess it up trying anything else. But I think Kooky's idea is a good one, especially in cases where the bumps aren't very big, and its nearly impossible to get anything else out. Injecting saline into the filler and then massaging may spread things out and diminish the bump. I just think trying to stick a 16g needle in there and squeeze stuff out is hit and miss, and it just causes other complications. And its messy.

So, I may attempt saline to dissolve and spread out ... So, Kooky let me know that goes if you try it.

Doesn't cortisone shots contain saline also?

Ok, so I tried the technique described by jayjay. I injected some sterile saline solution with a 30G needle into my bump. I injected a fair amount. About 1 minute later, I inserted a 18G needle into the bump, and squeezed out what I could. Not much blood at all came out, and after pushing for just a little bit, a clearish gel-like material popped out. Not a huge amount, but a significant amount. I'm assuming this is the bio-alcamid. Its been a few days since I did this, I still have a little swelling, but it does appear that I successfully removed some bio-alcamid. Its important to note, that I have tried removing bio-alcamid but without injecting saline solution, and I never saw any bio-alcamid come out. So, it appears the saline solution makes a huge difference. I'm gonna wait awhile, and then maybe attack my bump again if necessary.

But the good news is that this technique appears to work. Good luck.

Great news mrstupor...how much better does it look now?

Also guys, just be careful with the saline technique as it does take out alot, so be prepared for the possibility of re-injecting.

Great news mrstupor...how much better does it look now?

Also guys, just be careful with the saline technique as it does take out alot, so be prepared for the possibility of re-injecting.

It looks great, I can't believe the results. I strongly recommend this to everyone who has bio-alcamid overfill. And you don't need to go to a doctor to do it. Its very simple.

Hi jayjay1,

I really appreciate your info. Just wondering, how long did you have the aquamid in before removing it? I've had mine for 4 months, and i'm just hoping it wont be too difficult to remove it. I heard its not too much of a problem up to a year.

^Hey about 2 years max but i had some removed at 1 year and at various intervals in between 1 and 2 years. I had it injected in various areas so its not like i could take it all out in one go. I dont see how it would be a problem removing it past a year. The saline would still break the collagen encapsulating the aquamid as the pressure would be so much.

I'm still reinjecting now..the first re-injection looks good, maybe so ever slightly underfilled but i dont want to overdo it again! Go back for next injection maybe in about 4 weeks. I'm lucky because the doctor is storing my suringe so i can put as little as i want over as many sessions and not have to pay more!

Just checking back in. I have tried jayjay's technique 3 times around the same bump to remove bio-alcamid. The first time I definitely saw bio-alcamid come out, the 2nd time, I think i saw some, and the 3rd time appeared to be just blood. I think I have removed as much as I can, and it looks really good. The bump is pretty much gone ...... after it agonized me for many months. I still check the area regularly, for fear it will come back. Time for me to move on.

In general, bio-alcamid has given me unbeilevable results. I am very pleased.

I just got back here after months away. I wonder if anyone is still around. I had gotten a lot of bioalclamid put in the lower face and it's just too full on one side. I don't want to go down to tijuana just to get it filled again.

I'm going to call them just to see if they'd give me removal instructions so I can get it done by a dermo. here. Anyone know of someone who might do that in CA?

quote name='mrstupor' date='Nov 29 2005, 07:15 AM' post='858780']

Luz, just curious, how much bio-alcamid did you get put in? how much in each area? was it only for acne scars?

as far as restylane, you can buy at any canadian pharmacy, and its pretty simple to inject.

How are we all???

My removal has gone fantastic and i've finished adding back about 6 months ago.

Look great and feeling great ;)

So glad it worked for you mr stupor and that my posts are of some usefulness. I know how upsetting it can be to have a permanent filler and be unable to remove it. Please dont surgically cut this out there are better ways that alot of doctors unfortunately are unaware of!

Starting back in 2003, I had a series of several Bioalcamid injection to plump up a receding chin. I had about 5 injections of 3-5 cc each spaced about 6 months apart. At the end of 2005 I noticed a gradual shift in the material which started to devide up into 2 main "lumps" and the end of my chin. I gave the Bioalcamid one more chance and went back to the physician to fill in the gap between the lumps. That was back in May 2006. I recently decided I want to get rid of all the filler and get a solid chin implant. I found a plastic surgeon who was willing to remove the Bioalcamid and insert the solid implant (in 2 seperate procedures).

2 weeks ago I went to have the Bioalcamid removed. The doctor completely numbed the area (I couldn't feel a thing) and spent about one and a half hours removing the material with a syringe and relatively thick needle (I don't know what number). Most of the stuff came out as a viscous red "gook" with quite some blood in it. Some also came out as the clear yellow Bioalcamid gel. My guess is that he managed to get out about 50-70% of what went in.

The first 2 days after this procedure were fine - some swelling, but nothing drastic. On the third day the swelling increased, i developed a fever and the whole ae became red. After another 2 days I looked like I was hiding a bunch of grapes in my mouth.

The doctor gave me several types of antibiotics and I am now on a combination of penacillin and tetracyclene. Today, while shaving I must have nicked myself and puss/BA/blood starde oozing out of the cut. I applied pressure and drained over half a come of redish-yellowish liquid. My swelling has gone down a lot due to the drainage and I am hoping for the best.

Hi Everyone, its great to see that people have had great results.

I've tried the removal with saline but to no success. My problem is probably putting in enough saline to break the Bio-Alcamid apart from the encapsulated scar tissue. It's also been about two years now since my injection. My results have been mixed. I am almost positive that Bio-Alcamid dissipates over time. The best success came in my temples, but after two years the scars reappeared. They've diminished once again as I've used TCA Cross with great success on my temples. My main problem now is getting rid of the Bio-Alcamid overinjection (I have at least one site, not sure if the other site is scar tissue or BA), I might have a physician do the removal since I can't take the pain when I do it myself. I have a question regarding the procedure. Is the 16 to 18 gauge needle used simply to create an opening to squeeze it out, or is it kept inside the hole as the filler is squeezed out?

Guest niko
Hi Everyone, its great to see that people have had great results.

I've tried the removal with saline but to no success. My problem is probably putting in enough saline to break the Bio-Alcamid apart from the encapsulated scar tissue. It's also been about two years now since my injection. My results have been mixed. I am almost positive that Bio-Alcamid dissipates over time. The best success came in my temples, but after two years the scars reappeared. They've diminished once again as I've used TCA Cross with great success on my temples. My main problem now is getting rid of the Bio-Alcamid overinjection (I have at least one site, not sure if the other site is scar tissue or BA), I might have a physician do the removal since I can't take the pain when I do it myself. I have a question regarding the procedure. Is the 16 to 18 gauge needle used simply to create an opening to squeeze it out, or is it kept inside the hole as the filler is squeezed out?