Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest niko

Cortisone Shots for Permanent Filler

Guest niko

Well as some of you know I had a slight over injection of Bio-Alcamid filler at Clinica Estetica in Tijuana

Tried to have it removed as BioAlcamid claims it can be squeezed out "like a pimple" total lying bastards..

anyway long story short I still have this lump although now it's bigger then before and somewhat hardened.

I really don't want to have to get it cut out...my question is can a Cortisone shot break this down? The area has a swollen appearance and has so for the last 4 months...I tried to have it removed 5 months ago so I don't think this swelling/lump is going anywhere. eusa_wall.gif

If Anybody has any knowledge/experience..or information they can share with me it would be much appreciated.

Hey niko:

I'm battling the same thing. I talked to a derm here who has had success removing restylane with a #11 needle and comedone extractor. We talked about doing the same for bioalcamid, but she's going to look further into it. I decided against having any more bioalcamid because of the risk of overfilling. And they (the clinic) have also said some things to me that make me question their integrity a little.

I had success treating a few hypertrophic scars a long time ago with corticosteroids, and I also thought about this...if it would suppress the bioalcamid. The way I think it works is that the corticosteroids inhibit fibroblast growth and inhibit an enzyme which results in collagen degradation at the site of injection. It may degrade the collagen encapsulating the bioalcamid, but I don't know if it will degrade the bioalcamid itself. I'm going to send an email to my derm, and see what she says about this.

Guest niko

Alright Kooky there is also someone else with a similar issue....you know what Ellen said to me about the lump..."just rub it in" can you believe that!! They are the most unproffesional team I have ever seen! What a sham!!

Anyway I'm seeing a top plastic surgeon tomorrow..I will try to brainstorm ideas with him and see what he says...i'll mention the comedone extractor idea with the 11 needle...i'll keep you updated...

Hi. I thik I remember a while back when I was researching bioalcamid that it could be dissolved with by injecting hydrogen peroxide. Can't remember where, but I think a google search with those as keywords might dredge up the article. I'm bummed to hear about this as the BA seemed to be really promising and the clinic down in TJ sounded very legit. Aside from the lumps, were you pleased with the scars which weren't over-injected? Were you both injected by Anna or the other Dr.? I've heard she's much better but doesn't do it much. Anyway, best of luck to you both.

--leopolda

Guest niko

The scarring is better then it was so that's a relief....and i think they also matured...so that's a good thing but i'll take the scars over this current situation...the thought of going around looking like I had plastic surgery makes me sick...I'd rather be a scarred dude then a dude that looks worked on..can't stand it. It's not my personality...i'm sure it makes other people happy but when I see people with the duck lips/eyes pulled back/ etc..they look owned...like a victim of society...not my bag

I'll look up the hydrogen Peroxide thanks leo smile.gif

Thanks for the tip leo -- I am still pleased with the filler itself. It filled in my deepest scar quite nicely. The rest of my scars are so clustered together over my temples and are of all different depths and shapes that it would take a lot of time and someone extremely skilled at injecting to probably get the area completely level (without under- or over-correction). Not worth the risk of overcorrection in my case.

Niko - keep me posted. FWIW, I found Dr. Casavante's extraction method off google. Maybe you can show that to your PS to see what he/she thinks.

Extraction technique by Dr. Luis Casavantes:

Even though CAT scan technology can be used

to locate the implant and help in the procedure,

it is seldom used, because a detailed palpation

is always sufficient to find it. Proper aseptic and

antiseptic measures must be applied, then a

small amount (0.2 - 0.5 cc) of local anesthetic

is injected in the center of the implant a few

minutes before the next step: a large needle

(18, 16G) is cautiously inserted until the change

of consistency is noted when its tip reaches the

core of the implant; after retrieving the needle,

pressure is applied to the edges to extrude the

gel. Many times it seems to be that no more

product can be extracted,but waiting for several

minutes will make it gather, making it easy to

continue the extraction.

After the specific amount of product is extracted,

the entry point must be cleaned of Bio-Alcamidâ„¢

traces to allow it to seal within a few minutes.

It is very unlikely that oozing can occur, unless

strong pressure is applied to the area before the

entry point seals and heals.

The obtained gel after extraction varies in

appearance, depending on the time that has

been placed.The longer the implant time, the

yellowish the product might look. Sometimes it

is contaminated with blood, but it is usually

obtained as the fresh, clear product that was

initially inserted.

Due to the avascularity of the implant and its

manipulation during the extraction, antibiotic

and mild anti-inflammatory medications are a

good prophylactic measure.

Guest niko

Nice one Kooky..I just came across that as well...it seems there is also a huge blackmarket for bioalcamid...especially in the states...guys like Dr. Soren are getting this stuff illegally so quality could be compromised.

As for treating the Bio...I have read cortisone shots should break it down..(not bio specifically but permanent fillers in general) the question is how will it look after...i'll ask this tomorrow

Leo- I came across one site backing up the h202 claim...it's an office in Dublin, Ireland...i'm going to call them in the morning...they claim hydrogen peroxide dissolves bio....not sure thoughand it could be risky as who knows if the bioalcamid in tijuana is truly chemically stable ...these people have lied to me about little things...makes we really wonder how they handle the bigger issues.....

More to follow..

I had a consultation with Dr. Soren White in NYC. He seemed to be a very competent doctor who knew what he was doing. He does not do Bio-Alcamid for acne scars b/c he stated that the bio-alcamid will push not only the acne scar out but the skin also, leaving you with what appears to be a bloated face. He said it wouldn't look very natural and although I didn't ask, he probably wouldn't even do it if you still wanted it. He strongly recommends silicone b/c it is inject superficially into the skin vs. bio-alcamid which is injected deep into the skin. Thats the 411 on Dr. White in NYC.

rRyan

Guest niko

Um that's great..but last I checked Bio-alcamid isn't approved in this country..that means he is getting it illegally..which means his judgment is lacking..

I'm sure he is a competent able doc...but seriously....docs in the U.S are not permitted to inject this stuff yet...don't be so naive...you think he's getting it from somewhere legit?..maybe...but we don't know that...he could be getting conned. In the medical field docs need to stay within the law. When docs start cutting corners and breaking rules...standards are compromised and you put yourself at risk.....think about it.

I didn't get Bio-alcamid just for scars I got it because I actually had a serious volume loss in the scarred area...from what.. who knows..might of been the smoothbeam...either way the bio corrected it and improved the scars...it's the overinjection i'm trying to fix...

Here's my 2 cents....

As you know I've had 2 sessions at the clinic in Tijuana. The first with Dr. C, where his precision was lacking on a few scars. Then, secondly with Anna, who precision was excellent. I got 1 CC each time. I am extremely pleased with the results, EXCEPT for one area. Anna seemed to really go after one scar, and injected alot above the scar (maybe to smoothen out the area?). But I am left with a sizable lump that is above the scar (the scar is filled in). It is really only noticeable in certain lighting angles, but also its kinda red which makes it standout more in certain angles. Right now, I am in the process of looking into getting the b-a removed, but I'm a little nervous about that. Part of me thinks if the redness went away, I could probably deal with it, but I would prefer the lump to go away. I'll be following this thread to see what my alternatives are before deciding what to do. I also heard from someone else that the clinic charges you for removal?

Its a long trip back to Tijuana for me, so I am looking at local options. I wonder if a plastic surgeon or derm could attempt to remove the b-a?

Bio-Alcamid

Bio-Alcamid is a prosthetic implant made from water and a synthetic polymer. It is designed to fill bigger areas like scars, lips, deep wrinkles and sunken cheeks. Think of it as a replacement for fat. It's permanent but, unlike liquid fillers, if you have a reaction, your doctor can easily nick the skin and take it out, or dissolve the implant with an injection of hydrogen peroxide.

I got this from

http://www.ailesburyclinic.ie/fillersimplants.shtml

also found this in a clinical trial paper written by Casavantes and Love:

"It can be safely extracted (partialy or totally) even months after the implantation procedure. In order for extraction to be possible, the original implant must be done correctly to assure the encapsulation; this means, in the subcutaneous level and in a minimum amount of 0.3cc in each site"

0.3cc? hmmmmm.

Guest niko

My appt is Tuesday..I had the wrong date down...i'll keep everyone updated...also I sent emails to the clinic in Ireland with the h202 claim.

Hi.  I thik I remember a while back when I was researching bioalcamid that it could be dissolved with by injecting hydrogen peroxide.  Can't remember where, but I think a google search with those as keywords might dredge up the article.  I'm bummed to hear about this as the  BA seemed to be really promising and the clinic down in TJ sounded very legit. Aside from the lumps, were you pleased with the scars which weren't over-injected?  Were you both injected by Anna or the other Dr.?  I've heard she's much better but doesn't do it much.  Anyway, best of luck to you both.

--leopolda

I am going back to the clinic in a few weeks to have the lump taken care of. I will let everyone know how it goes. One of these days I will post before and after pictures of my left side. They are unbelievable. Its just the lump on my right side (only scar treated on that side) that needs to be corrected. Niko, please let me know how your appt goes today. I may need another out if things don't work out in a few weeks with the lump I have.

I am going back to the clinic in a few weeks to have the lump taken care of. I will let everyone know how it goes. One of these days I will post before and after pictures of my left side. They are unbelievable. Its just the lump on my right side (only scar treated on that side) that needs to be corrected. Niko, please let me know how your appt goes today. I may need another out if things don't work out in a few weeks with the lump I have.

Niko, Mark and anyone else who've had BA removed. Can you give us an update? I'd like to gather as much information as possible before I head in for my appt to have it removed in a couple of weeks. As of now, my bumps have become a little larger and much firmer....especially the areas the doc injected where there were no scars. mad.gif I'm glad BA's worked well for some, but for me, after almost a year, my assessment is that BA was a big mistake.

If Anybody has any knowledge/experience..or information they can share with me it would be much appreciated.

** WARNING ** I do not recommend doing what I did

My lump was still bothering me, so I decided to remove it myself. I took a 18 gauge sterilized tattoo needle, and injected it right in the middle of my lump and penetrated what I thought was enough to pierce the bio-alcamid (i couldn't detect a "change of consistency"). After removing the needle, I had some blood come out. Then, I pushed and pinched as hard as I could. I only saw more blood come out (ok, lots of blood). After a few minutes I gave up. I assumed I didn't get any of the bio-alcamid out. I was expecting to see some yellowish or clear liquid, but it was all red coming out. I put some neosporing on it, and iced it. It was very red for at least one day, and swollen all around where the lump was. On the 2nd day, it was still a little swollen and red. At this point, I was more worried about doing any further damage to the lump, and just wanted the lump to get back to it original lump. But lo and behold, on day 3, it seemed that the lump was maybe smaller. Day 4 was even better, and now on day 5, the lump is gone. Its still a little red (not much) around the area. I assume the lump is gone forever. I still have a fear it will come back. I'm assuming that I must have gotten some bio-alcamid out with the blood that came out.

All in all, it wasn't very painful and easy to do. I don't recommend it though. I am nuts. I am very pleased now that the lump is gone.

Wanted to add to this. My dermatologist attempted to remove 3 BA lumps last Tuesday. I gave her Dr. C's method for BA removal, but she ignored it. She applied some numbing cream on the areas, poked the center of the lump with an 11 guage needle, and used a comedone extractor to squeeze the BA out. She said a lot of blood spewed out but it was hard to tell if anything was removed. She saw a little bit of a "whitish substance from one of the lumps. Well it's been 5 days and 2 out of the 3 BA lumps are gone completely. eusa_dance.gif The third one looks about 50% removed, but it is still healing. All in all, it did seem like a relatively simple procedure. I'll wait a week or two, and if some of the third lump is still there, I may try removing the BA myself using the "Don't try this at home kids" method that mrstupor described.

The prices at Clinica Esthetica are getting ridiculous. Ellen was trying to charge me 400 for removal of their overinjection, saying they think they got a hang of this, yeah right. Anyhoo, I ordered 16 and 18 gauge needles, and also have a comedone extractor. I think I'll be able to do this myself. Will update.

The prices at Clinica Esthetica are getting ridiculous.  Ellen was trying to charge me 400 for removal of their overinjection, saying they think they got a hang of this, yeah right.  Anyhoo, I ordered 16 and 18 gauge needles, and also have a comedone extractor.  I think I'll be able to do this myself.  Will update.