Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aaah21

did anyone have a LONG TERM success with mino?

Guest Craigems

most people only have short term success. Minocycline usually only works for about 5months then it looses its effect. Some people get clear on it, and generally those who have milder acne it helps them for good. But for more moderate cases ... acne tends to strive back.

the mere fact that mino is an antibiotic makes it not good for long-term use because the body build up an immunity to it. it worked well for me for several months then...............ugh

I was on mino for quite some time. I think I was on it for about 8 months 'cause I had a bad dermatologist. It helped clear up my somewhat minor facial acne, but I was only going to a derm for my cystic bacne. To this day, I get like one or two zits on my face every other week, but it definitely didn't help my bacne, and I'm on accutane right now to fix that. I finished mino about a year ago.

Hope that helps.

I was actually on a lower dose of mino for 2.5 years and it worked fantastically...then stopped as you would expect an antibiotic to...40mg accutane for 5 months has kept me totally clear for 8 months now...using brevoxyl 4% once a day w/cetaphil SPF...and then maybe splashing before bed...everyone reacts differently to antibiotics...you might do better with doxy/tetra...usually mino works better b/c it has a better absorption rate and doesn't have some of the requirements the others do (regarding milk and food)...i'd say an antibiotic and a nice wash might work well for you...best of luck...

I've been on Mino for 8 months now. In the past 2 things have gotten worse. Actually, my skin is still clear. But the nose cyst acne that plagues me is becoming more prevelant. I don't think anybody can have lasting success with mino. One reason I think antibiotics are used for acne is that it can be used on teens in the shorter term to help them pass through an acne stage. Personally, I'm 24 and I need a cure, not a short term fix.

Used it for 18 mo. which I now know is too long. It worked well for the first yr (still had breakouts, but much less severe), then became ineffective afterwards. I also started developing some bad side-effects but I think that is common when taking any antibiotic for a long time.

It's a good short term solution if it doesn't make you sick to your stomach.

im on mino and retin-a micro now... Ive been taking retin-a for about 2 monthes. I hope that retin-a will reduce my break outs after mino.