Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
goldengirl

Coincidence? Long time cysts gone in a few days

My son has had spontaneous resolution to two , 2-3 month old cysts. We are trying to determine what to attribute this to.

He has made no changes in his skin cleansing regimen.

He has been eating watermelon 2-3 times per week.

He started drinking a glass of fresh grapefruit juice with one whole fresh lime squeezed and then the fruit added to the juice.

The next day, he said that the 2 cysts he had were about half the size of the day before. I checked and he was right. He is 14 and because he gets cystic acne I try to help him once a day with his regimen so I can feel if he is getting worse or better. He is doing very well with his routine on his own though.

We have now added this grapefruit cocktail daily and both the cysts are gone. Took about 3-4 days.

I hope it wasn't coincidence. We have been eating a lot of watermelon as well and I've heard that it is a good detoxifier. I would like others opinions as to which element, the grapefruit or watemelon, may have contributed to the speedy cyst resolution.

I read somewhere that grapefruit juice is good for people with sugar, insulin issues. I can try to find more info.

Thanks.

Interesting... thanks for sharing that! I haven't heard anything about grapefruit juice being beneficial for acne, but if you do find that it is, that's wonderful. Please keep us updated smile.gif

Here is a BBC article regarding a study involving Grapefruit and weight loss.

Note the references to insulin / Diabetes and metabolism.

Grapefruit may help weight loss

The volunteers ate or drank grapefruit with every meal

Eating or drinking grapefruit may help people who are obese to lose weight, a study suggests.

Researchers in the United States say adding grapefruit to people's diet may also protect them from diabetes.

The findings are based on a study of 100 obese people, who ate or drank grapefruit for 12 weeks.

The researchers are now planning a much larger study to see if the results are the same, according to a report in Chemistry and Industry magazine.

Grapefruit with meals

Ken Fujioka and colleagues at the Scripps Clinic in San Diego California enrolled 100 obese patients with an average weight of 218 pounds in the study.

One group of volunteers ate half a grapefruit before each meal three times a day, while another drank a glass of grapefruit juice before every meal. A third did not include grapefruit in their meals.

This could be a potentially exciting discovery

Emma Bunn,

Diabetes UK

After 12 weeks, those eating grapefruit had lost an average of 3.6 pounds, and some shed as much as 10 pounds.

The participants drinking grapefruit juice lost an average of 3.3 pounds. But those in the control group who consumed no grapefruit only lost an average of 0.5 pounds.

The researchers said the weight loss was probably linked to lowered levels of insulin, which was born out by measurements of glucose levels.

Insulin is used to metabolise sugar. The more efficiently sugar is metabolised, the less likely it is to be stored as fat in the body.

Lowering insulin levels also makes people feel less hungry. High levels of the hormone stimulate the brain's hypothalamus, causing feelings of hunger. They also stimulate the liver to manufacture fat that can constrict arteries, leading to heart attacks and strokes..

"Grapefruit is already known to affect the metabolism of some drugs," said Chemistry and Industry.

"It improves the efficiency of some common oral medications, such as those taken for blood pressure, sedatives, and some immunosuppressant."

Emma Bunn, diabetes care advisor at the charity Diabetes UK, said: "If grapefruit does significantly lower insulin levels this could be a potentially exciting discovery.

"We know weight loss reduces the body's resistance to insulin and therefore improves diabetes control, so weight management is important in prevention and treatment of diabetes.

"We will be following any further research in this area closely to establish if grapefruit could provide genuine benefits."

This is so interesting...I was just reading that grapefruit seed extract is a very powerful natural antibacterial, used to fight all sorts of infections, including candida. Apparently no known bacterial strain has ever become resistant to it. Here's a link, if you're interested:

http://www.pureliquidgold.com/

Of course, they are trying to sell grapefruit seed extract here, but I also stumbled upon someone's post claiming that GSE in high doses helped clear their skin immensely.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showtopic=53877

So it seems very likely that the grapefruit would be helping your son. I am thinking about trying this method (GSE), as antibiotics have worked for me in the past, but are horrible for longterm use.

Thanks for the responses.

Pumpkin Thanks for the links. I agree, this is very interesting. I think the liguid GSE sounds like a good idea. I think we are going to give it a try here.

We are continuing the grapefruit/lime cocktail for now and I will post back.

Again, thanks for responding.

biggrin.gif

A couple of months ago I bought a swedish Cosmopolitan and on there health or buty pages there was this litle sentence, that was almost hidden in all the other text, that said something like: "If you have problems with acne eat a half a grapefruit after every meal. It has been known to help."

grapefruit is an alkaline fruit.......many americans unlike other socieities are very acidic because of the refined foods and sugars that we over eat.......our ph balances are way too acidic......the body at a healthy ph balance, slightly alkaline, is immune to disease...disease cannot grow in an alkaline enviorment.......IF YOU DONT BELIEVE ME DO SOME GOOGLE RESEARCH....prob is, that its hard to maintain a healthy ph balance because of our eating habits.....wonder if this could have anything to do with it..

grapefruit is an alkaline fruit.......many americans unlike other socieities are very acidic because of the refined foods and sugars that we over eat.......our ph balances are way too acidic......the body at a healthy ph balance, slightly alkaline, is immune to disease...disease cannot grow in an alkaline enviorment.......IF YOU DONT BELIEVE ME DO SOME GOOGLE RESEARCH....prob is, that its hard to maintain a healthy ph balance because of our eating habits.....wonder if this could have anything to do with it..

do a google search "ph food chart"....will give you a list of foods on both sides......also Coral Calcium is suggested...

The coral reefs of the world need protecting, not exploiting for the latest health fad that comes along - they are the rainforests of the sea and are on the front line of global warming. We have lost 16% of the worlds reefs in just the last 5 years and ultimately it is carbon dioxide absorbing ecosystems such as these that are standing between us and an irreversible temperature increase that will alter life on this earth beyond recognition. Coral calcium is not even proven as an available source of calcium, plus it is expensive and basically if you buy it you are lining the pockets of some greedy unethical arseholes who don't give a shit what they do to the earth.

It is hard to be healthy in this world where food is not what it should be due to intensive farming degrading the soil and denying us the nutrients we need to live, but lets not make it worse by making unethical and environmentally unsound decisions. I'll get off me soapbox now...

grapefruit has my vote, i have buying it recently just for a change up in diet and i have always loved grapefruit ( and lemons too) i have noticed my face has been heaps better since doing this, i am also taking a small teaspoon of cream of tartar in the morning before i eat anything so i dont really know what the element is that is working, maybe a combination of both but i am going to continue what im doing anyway, but thanks for the clarification on grapefruit i was simply coincidently buying it smile.gif

has it got to be a grape fruit or can you drink grapfruit juice, would that work just as well?#

It is important to note that there is a difference between the pH values of food before and after they are eaten.

Citrus fruits, such as lemons and grapefruits are highly acidic, but turn alkaline when they are metabolized by the body.

Excessive consumption of citrus fruits will cause the urine to become more alkaline.

Normal urine pH of may range from 4.6 to 8. Urine is usually more acidic in the morning. Many holistic doctors recommend that urine testing be done first thing in the morning before any foods are consumed. During the day the pH may be heavily influenced by the acid or alkaline forming potential of the foods people consume.

You can test your urine pH with pH test strips

This sounds really cool. I might give this a try and see if it cuts down on some of the oil on my face. Thanks for the tip!

Only 1 new cyst and it does appear to be diminishing. Using Benzaclin in the AM and Tazorac in the PM aplied to the cyst.

I continue to read that grapefruit should be included in diets aimed at supporting healthy skin.

Plan to keep it up.

I will be at the supermarket tomorrow so il try and pick up a grapefruit, thanks for your advice!!

Hey i was looking around the net for more info on this stuff. A few sites sell liquid to apply on the skin, and at the same time have to in pill form to swallow.

If I were to take the pills, would it still work?