Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
grand_champ

Need advice on accutane and sports!

Ok I have decided I am going to go on accutane but the one thing thats holding me back right now is im a little worried if it would affect my boxing career in any way.

I heard on another forum people saying that if you take accutane you can kiss bye bye to your career because it tires your whole body out,makes your skin fragile so I would get cut to bits, and it destroys your joints. And the worst part was they said you will not be able to recover from these conditions because accutane stays in your body forever,so is any of this true?

From everyones experience with accutane would anyone advise me not to take accutane whilst on the verge of turning pro?

At the moment I am on the start of my second month with B5 with little to no results,so I was wondering how long does it usualy take to see the full benifits of B5,because maybe I havent give B5 its fair chance to work yet.

Thanx in advance for all replies,and sorry for the spelling.

appreciated

I played baseball every day for 3-4 hours on Accutane, no problems. You may notice a slight increase in fatigue though.

Chlorine + Accutane is baaad news. I had to stop playing waterpolo becasue the pool water made my face peel like crazy. As for boxing, you do heal slower when on Tane. I didn't notice being any more fatigued, but if you probably will get cut easier.

Ok I have decided I am going to go on accutane but the one thing thats holding me back right now is im a little worried if it would affect my boxing career in any way.

I heard on another forum people saying that if you take accutane you can kiss bye bye to your career because it tires your whole body out,makes your skin fragile so I would get cut to bits, and it destroys your joints. And the worst part was they said you will not be able to recover from these conditions because accutane stays in your body forever,so is any of this true?

From everyones experience with accutane would anyone advise me not to take accutane whilst on the verge of turning pro?

At the moment I am on the start of my second month with B5 with little to no results,so I was wondering how long does it usualy take to see the full benifits of B5,because maybe I havent give B5 its fair chance to work yet.

appreciated

What about the claim that accutane will damage your joints permanently?

Also I wouldn't have thought that it stays in your system forever,I thought some people's acne comes back after accutane?

I have been itching to just go online and order accutane but for once in my life im thinking before I act,because if its true that it makes you fatigue quicker and damages your joints then I dont know weather it would be worth it or not?

I only just ordered 2 new bottles of B5 a few days ago until I figured accutane may be the answer,so I might finish these two bottles of B5 then see where I go from there,but If I cant find any solid evidence to sugest that tane wont affect my career then I will order tane in a blink of an eye.

Don't order it online. You must be under a doctor's supervision, they have to monitor your blood work, check your response and side effects to determine adjustments to your dose. Accutane is not a do-it-yourself drug.

appreciated

I was planning on getting it online and going for regualr check-ups with my doctor. When I explain to my doc that I am going to buy it online I am hoping *fingers crossed* that he will put me on tane but other wise I dont realy care about paying for it myself because money is not everything and im sure it would be money well spent. But that is IF I decide to take the tane route.

I have been on this damn computer all day long just finding out as much as possible about tane  eusa_wall.gif

if you are considering taking this particualrly with your career choice please dont but it online, it can be a harmful drug and you need to be sure of taking the right dose to get rid of the acne and minmise side effects

Hey man. I'm a full time soccer player and I'm very familiar with my body and how it reacts. I definitely have had some tough days on accutane(muscle pains and fatigue) with me being so athletic and training everyday. I'm sure that with you going pro, you train everyday. My worst times came when I didn't drink water. You really do have to force the stuff down. Just drink it continuously throughout the day, ecspecially before and after training. It will help tremendously. A supplement that I take for joint pain is glucosamine. Avoid milk as it is bad for the ligaments. Another more serious approach would be some deca(I'm sure you are familiar with this). But my personal suggestion is to stay with the B5 for now atleast until you make it pro, unless the acne is hurting your confidence to the point where it is holding you back from achieving that. Keep me posted on what you decide to do and best wishes. ~Ade. read my acne story on the link below.

Turnergirl,

The pool she swims in doesn't use chlorine. They use bromine. Thank you for all your comments. At the present time she is using Dove for a cleanser, as suggested by the dermatologist. The products you suggest are readily available to us. We live in a metro area with many sources.

Turnergirl,

The pool she swims in doesn't use chlorine.  They use bromine.  Thank you for all your comments.  At the present time she is using Dove for a cleanser, as suggested by the dermatologist.  The products you suggest are readily available to us.  We live in a metro area with many sources.

Wow, what a great thread. My daughter is a pitcher in fastpitch softball and is 17. She is at the age now where she is being looked at by colleges and I have always wondered how Accutane would affect her pitching, sore joints, fatigue, ect. At this point she does not need Accutane but you never know what the future will bring. She got clear with Blue Lite. Good luck to you Grand Champ and good for you for doing your homework. Just try to make sure that if and when you do take the Accutane, your under a doctor's supervision. That way you can get all your questions answered and when something out of the ordinary arises you have someone to call.

Take Care

grand champ- First of all, I'm a huge fan of boxing- so I think that it's awesome that you are going pro. Boxing is one of my favorite sports.

Aside from that, I would have to say that taking Accutane and boxing is a bad combo. Maybe you should go with 20 mgs at first, just to see how your skin reacts..maybe do some light training, and see how it goes. If you can tolerate the 20, and your skin isn't breaking and you heal relatively well.. either stay on 20, or up it to 30 or 40. I know that professionally, you wouldn't be fighting every week.. usually you fight, and wait a few months- correct? I'm sure you train just about everyday,though- So I'm not sure how that will go.

As far as your joints, I'm pretty sure that it'll be rough while on accutane and training.. But taking fish oil supplements is supposed to help. I have heard that this side effect goes away, and some don't even get it at all. Also, I know that fatigue is a pretty big problem with taners... So, that might hinder your performance..which is not good... So, don't let accutane ruin your record, u know what i mean?? Just think about it pretty intensely before making any decisions, and of course- check with ur Dr. Another thing I think you should consider is the fact that you are being hit in the head.. and accutane can cause brain swelling.. Which I am not sure if being hit continuously would increase the chances of this happening.. but I assume it wouldn't help the situation either.. So keep your health and career in mind. Good luck with EVERYTHING!!! Stay strong- you'll figure out what to do.