Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Basically I've had acne since I was 9. This was really depressing as most people at that age don't even know what a spot was and I was sitting there plagued with them. I've tried every single OTC product imaginable with all different brands- oxy , clearasil, simple, neutrogena, tea tree oil, salycic acid etc. I've had 2 doses of topical erythromicin(not sure how you spell it)...this cleared me for a short period but the acne quickly returned. I've also tried diet approaches, which I have seen improvment but would have to drink 3 litres plus of water to notice any, and I can't really do this everyday. I've also tried various vitamins like vitamin b5, vitamin c etc and also chucking everything out and going back to basics with cleansing and moisturising(what a bad idea!)I'm now on antibiotics prescribed by the doctor. Again, I'm seeing no improvement. The only thing I've seen a good improvement in is Dans regimen with bp gel. This had cleared up my face somewhat.

I wouldn't say I have severe acne but do have pustules/ papuples/ whiteheads/ blackheads on my face at any given time. I don't suffer with cysts, only the occasional 4 or 5 per year but usually are on my nose and I have still have red marks from where they have been. I suffer terribly on my face with oil.. I mean terribly. People have commented on it and I just can't put on makeup without it running off my face 20 mins later. I also have acne on my chest and back with lots lots of little spots, red marks, and a couple of cysts. This is starting to spread to my lower back too and I can't wear any little tops like my friends. Nothing has worked on my back including the antibiotcis to clear it up.

I just really feel like nothings working for me and because the underlying cause of my acne is oil, I feel like I'd benefit greatly from accutane. I know you will probably say it's your age n puberty n bla bla but I feel like this is never going to go away as I've had it for as long as I can remember. I've read up on all the side effects for months and feel prepeared to take it. Should I ask my doctor for it or am I just wasting my time? Thanks for reading, and please reply

Basically I've had acne since I was 9. This was really depressing as most people at that age don't even know what a spot was and I was sitting there plagued with them.  I've tried every single OTC product imaginable with all different brands- oxy , clearasil, simple, neutrogena, tea tree oil, salycic acid etc. I've had 2 doses of topical erythromicin(not sure how you spell it)...this cleared me for a short period but the acne quickly returned.  I've also tried diet approaches, which I have seen improvment but would have to drink 3 litres plus of water to notice any, and I can't really do this everyday. I've also tried various vitamins like vitamin b5, vitamin c etc and also chucking everything out and going back to basics with cleansing and moisturising(what a bad idea!)I'm now on antibiotics prescribed by the doctor. Again, I'm seeing no improvement. The only thing I've seen a good improvement in is Dans regimen with bp gel. This had cleared up my face somewhat.

I wouldn't say I have severe acne but do have pustules/ papuples/ whiteheads/ blackheads on my face at any given time. I don't suffer with cysts, only the occasional 4 or 5 per year but usually are on my nose and I have still have red marks from where they have been. I suffer terribly on my face with oil.. I mean terribly. People have commented on it and I just can't put on makeup without it running off my face 20 mins later. I also have acne on my chest and back with lots lots of little spots, red marks, and a couple of  cysts. This is starting to spread to my lower back too and I can't wear any little tops like my friends. Nothing has worked on my back including the antibiotcis to clear it up.

I just really feel like nothings working for me and because the underlying cause of my acne is oil, I feel like I'd benefit greatly from accutane. I know you will probably say it's your age n puberty n bla bla but I feel like this is never going to go away as I've had it for as long as I can remember. I've read up on all the side effects for months and feel prepeared to take it. Should I ask my doctor for it or am I just wasting my time? Thanks for reading, and please reply

My daughter has acne just as you describe. She is 13, and has had it like you since she was much younger. She is being treated by a dermatologist, by taking an oral antibotic along with benzaclin in the morning and retin-a micro at night. She is seeing much improvement on her face, and a much slower improvement on her back and arms, but improvement. Like you she will not wear anything near a tank top because of her skin.

The dermatologist said that the next step would be Accutane but he would like to control it a bit with the other medications as long as he can because of her age. He didn't rule out accutane at her age just suggested we try these other methods first. He is most concerned about growth. He indicated that the Accutane calcifies (sp) the bones and stunts growth while on the medication. That is not an issue with us since she is already 5'8.

Just thought I'd try and help you out. I do understand your frustration.

my mate went on it when he was 14.... cleared him up fine... and the twitch went after a year lol.gif

If i recall correctly, i was 15 or 16 when i took Accutane. If you are female, your doctor may be reluctant to prescribe it if you are sexually active, since teens tend to be less responsible about consistent use of birth control. (That's a generalization, i know that there are also very responsible teens, i'm just talking about the group as a whole.) They may also not beleive you if you say you are not, i wasn't and they still made me go on birth control "just in case." However it's been used successfully on teens your age so i don't think your age alone would disqualify you.

In the US, family doctors can prescribe Accutane (unless this has been changed recently) but often don't because of Roche's paperwork and testing requirements. They must be registered, get the stickers that authorize the prescriptions, etc. I'd recommend finding a dermatologist anyway, because they are more familiar with the specifics of dosage and side effects.

thanks for the replies people and keep em comin. biggrin.gif It's great to hear your daughters acne, needtoknowparent, is clearing up. I'm not sexually active so I'm not sure what would happen with the whole bc pills stuff. I am getting an appointment with the docs in about 2 weeks time because that's the time the doctor said to come back and check up on the antibiotics I've been taking. I just feel that because my acne isn't severe(but enough to depress and restrict me from certain things) and I'm quite young that my doctor won't prescribe it me or refer me to a dermatologist. Bearing that in my mind, she is very comfortable to talk to and does seem understanding. I'll just have to see how it goes... eusa_think.gifrolleyes.gif

I'm 15 and I've had acne since I was 10... Nothing has really worked for me either. My dad wants me to go on accutane as soon as I get a dermatologist after we get insurance. Ahh, what's it taking so long for?!

I'm 15 and I've had acne since I was 10... Nothing has really worked for me either. My dad wants me to go on accutane as soon as I get a dermatologist after we get insurance. Ahh, what's it taking so long for?!

I have a 17 yr old fighting acne since he was 13 and a 14 yr old dealing with it for a yr now. We can relate. It is very difficult. Because they have cystic acne, and it teeters between moderate and severe and is scarring, accutane likely for them.

I am very concerned about the drug and its effects on my younger sons growth. I was hoping we could manage it till he has finished growing. May not be the case,

Goldengirl,

I'm assuming your the parent. Glad to see other parents out there.

I like you am willing to give up my daughters potential future growth if I could help her with this acne problem. She has pretty severe back acne. Her back and arms are way worse than her face.

She is a swimmer and is in the water 6 days a week, she seems to be fine with that group of people it's the school mates that she won't expose her back to (hence no tanktops).

How long should I allow her to use other forms of drugs to control the acne before I insist on Accutane? (her dad has been through the treatment) She is already 5'8 so growth isn't a problem.

Sorry for this question, she hasn't had a period yet. Does anyone think that would be a factor?

In the Uk it is pretty hard to get "tane" unless u have been through about 3 - 4 different treatments of antibiotics and all the cleansers and stuff. I sometimes think why cant they just say cut all this short term rubbish that dont work out and instead just give you accutane. I mean its not like its hard to make or anythin its just a derogitive from vitamin A. Vitamin A is in abundance anyway init so if ur willing to go on it u shud be able to get it "like that".

I have a 17 yr old fighting acne since he was 13 and a 14 yr old dealing with it for a yr now. We can relate. It is very difficult. Because they have cystic acne, and it teeters between moderate and severe and is scarring, accutane likely for them.

I am very concerned about the drug and its effects on my younger sons growth. I was hoping we could manage it till he has finished growing. May not be the case,

Doctors are not supposed to prescribe Accutane without trying other treatments first, it is supposed to be a last resort because of the side effects. As far as Accutane stunting growth - there have been some "reports" which means that some people anecdotally blamed their stunted growth on Accutane, but that effect has never been confirmed in scientific studies.

Ellie, I don't think you're too young for accutane (assuming your doctor agrees). My daughter, who is 12 - almost 13, has had acne since she was 10. Her derm told me about a year ago that she wanted to try to hold off on accutane until she was 14 or maybe if necessary 13. Her reason for holding off wasn't because of growth isssues -- my understanding is that you have to have quite a large dose to have stunted growth. Her issue is more that the younger you take it, the more likely that you'll have a relapse. The derm thinks that because my daughter's acne started at a young age, she is likely to have to have more than one course of accutane, but she'd like her to have as little accutane (fewer courses) as possible. The derm believes, however, that accutane, if used carefully, is safer than years and years of antibiotics.

FYI, currently my daughter's acne is being controlled nicely with cephalexin, benzaclin and tazorac. It's not working perfectly, but good enough for now. Also, my son recently finished a course of accutane and was completely cleared. I know it can do good things although there are some risks (as with any drug, including antibiotics). Your doctor can help you decide if it's right for you.