Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i just spent a 1/2 hour infront of the mirror picking at my face. i had some little clear bumps that are now red and inflamed. ive tried to get an idea just what these little blisters are, but no one has given me a clue. i had a little tiny bump that now looks like a cyst. i picked out a few white heads with a pin and it is now like a patchy looking rash.

i just cant stop. i make it sooo much worse than it is, but i think i am obsessed with my skin. i know i am.

has anyone ever delt with this? i need to get some help, but don't know where to start.

i just spent a 1/2 hour infront of the mirror picking at my face.  i had some little clear bumps that are now red and inflamed.  ive tried to get an idea just what these little blisters are, but no one has given me a clue.  i had a little tiny bump that now looks like a cyst.  i picked out a few white heads with a pin and it is now like a patchy looking rash.

i just cant stop.  i make it sooo much worse than it is, but i think i am obsessed with my skin.  i know i am. 

has anyone ever delt with this?  i need to get some help, but don't know where to start.

have you ever spoken to a professional? i'd be interested to know what they have to say. i am also interested to know what kinds of meds or therapy you have had?

i got home from work and washed my face-straight to the mirror and the pin. scary! i tel myself the same thing-"its only making it worse" but i keep on doing it. am i nuts?

people, you're not supposed to be picking at your lovely face! a pin point can carry millions of microbes, how much more your hands.

i know, i know, i do that too. but i try to just keep an inventory of what's in my face.

then i remind myself that God created us with brains on top, to control the ones below. so hands stay put.

well, it's a obsesive compulsive disorder. I have tried paxil, and welbutrin. But both made me sick. So I try not to do it, but i cant help myself.

Dont worry i dont know if u have a disorder but i have the same picking problem and ive often wondered if its an obsessive compulsive thing. About a month ago i picked at a TINY whitehead underneath my skin and i picked it and broke the skin and pushed it deep inside and it slowly got painful and ended up as a huge cyst that stayed for 3 weeks!!!

I have done this to myself many times over the past 6 months and it definatly makes things a hell of alot worse, afterwards im always so angry with myself and tell myself il never do it again, sometimes i even cry because i jut think whyyyyyy did i do that!!!! but im so frustrated that i go back to my mirror 10 mins later to squeeze and analyse some more! Its pathetic and i should have learnt that picking doesnt help by now.

I had to draw the line and after this one last huge cyst i told myself that i would actually never pick again. I now have a couple of small under the skin whiteheads which arent noticeable but im just dying to squeeze them, its so hard not to! But with the help of this website im managing not to as ive been told sooooo many times that i shouldnt

so please try not to squeeze and pick as im trying to do the same thing so we can all do it together and by knowing that someone out there is also managing to resist it will make my life much easier!

just had another long session of picking i dont see how people ever stop. i get so frustrated with myself. usually throwing down the pin and walking away in tears once my skin is red and inflamed. my lips are so swollen from picking around my lip line. the funny thing is, i finally left my house for the first time this weekend and although i noticed the few tiny little spots on my face before i walked out the door, i thought i looked pretty clear. as soon as i got home, i washed my face and the cycle began. i did it again after working out. i look pretty bad now. i hate my skin. it is consuming my every thought. i wish i could get over this. i have alienated my friends and my family. the worst part is, i know my skin could be much worse , but i obsess about every little flaw.

sorry to be such a winer. dont have anyone else to talk to.

Before yesterday I had these two TIIIIINY "dots" and they were hard to pop... So I squeezed, bled, squeezed...........

now im stuck with a scab the diameter of my pinky... sad.gif(( and they were waaaayy smaller the dots sad.gif

Picking almost certainly made and makes my acne worse! eusa_naughty.gif

Just when your face is loooking better you want it perfect, so you decide to pick at the imperfections! next thing you know your back to square 1 (who the hell made up that figure of speech?) and you've got a line,circle of spots next to the spot you tried to pick at!

If you make the skin bleed is that a bad thing? what indication is there that you've pushed the spot further in to your face?

Braking the skin? is that the same as the bleeding with a spot?

I am 39 years old and have been picking my face for at least 20 years. It is terrible! I can't stop. I have used pins, razor blades, wort medication (crazy idea), dental floss, loufa, etc. You name it, I've used it to damage my skin. I can relate to everyone here about how crazy they feel not being able to stop!! I have also taken medications for OCD and depression including Prozac, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Luvox, etc. Nothing works for me!!

so, are we all doomed? i just did it AGAIN!! i can't believe it. you should see my chin. it is sooo red and inflamed. there are about 5 new spots that i picked and messed wish that werent there when i got up. i finally just slathered bacitracin all over my chin and threw away all my safety pins. what is the deal? you all who have been to see someone, a therapist, they couldnt do anything for you? i cant imagine doing this for 20+years, i will absolutely lose my mind. not to mention, my skin is going to be so scarred and awful-more so than it is now.

the main cause for all this is my derms failure to diagnose these damn blister like things that form all over the lower 1/2 of my face. they are like tiny blisters. sometimes they are just plain blister-like bumps. other times, they almost look like tiny mosquito bites. does anyone have these too?

the other thing is these bumps that arent like acne, they're just flesh colored bumps. are they scars from former mash sessions that i just keep picking and aggravating?

i would appreciate any input. do you thing the antibiotic ointment will help? it is awfully greasy. dont want to lay a breeding ground for more crap.

You are definately not alone...my skin is actually not that bad but since I pick it honestly makes it about 75% worse looking..and my skin is very fair so it scars very very easy and it takes a long time for the scars to fade and go away (if they even go away) I don't know how many times I've vowed to myself that I don't pick again ...I have developed a stress disorder because of my skin which makes me physically ill and unable to eat or sleep..which in turn makes me upset so I end up crying ..and this all relates back to me picking my skin...I've tried looking at myself in the mirror when I have a big mark from picking and yell at myself "Look! never do this again you understand?" So I am determined to stop picking..I am waiting for one major mark to heal or improve..I know that if it is a very severe compulsion then some things won't work..but try getting yourself a little tiny 'reward' when you can make it through a day (or even half a day) without picking. I know that it isn't that great but it's all I can think of and may be suitable for those who don't have a severe complusion. Best of luck guys I definately feel your pain and understand where you are coming from!

thanks for your words of encouragment. the little reward thing isnt half bad, but i have given up so many food things for my skin, chocolate was the first thing i thought of, but cant allow myself. any other suggestions? it is funny, i can give up choc, alcohol, cheese and dairy, etc (all rosacea triggers, which i have) but i cant stop scratching at my face. which is def the worst thing i could do.

i am so depressed all the time. i am going to the doc in a few weeks. gonna ask for the name of a good therapist. i used to be fun, funny, loved to go out. now is just work, watch tv, walk every night for over an hour and pray about my skin, watch tv, and sleep. that is my life. ive lost so much weight, i am getting worried. the walking is another compulsion ive developed. yikes! i scare myself!!

hey guys, i have just read this page on picking and i can relate along with so many others. My difference is that i used to pick and now do not. It is an extremely tough mind over matter scenario. One day i finally told myself that i wouldn't pick anymore, i mean i really told myself, now i know you are all saying " we tell ourselves that too but sooner than later we are back in front of the mirror at it again" well maybe like you say counselling could be a good idea just to give you the strength and will power that you will beat this compulsion... i dont know whether i should give this tip or not, but whenever i used to be tempted to pick i just focused on covering it, like with just a basic complexion powder not foundation, now i know make-up is terrible for acne, but putting things into perspective covering it mildly is far better than opening it up making it far more succeptible to bacteria and infection. FIGHT THIS GUYS, U KNOW LEAVING IT WILL HEAL THE PROBLEM A LOT FASTER THAN PICKING IT. I BELIEVE IN YOU GUYS BE STRONG!!!

I have had acne since being about 16 and Im 21 now. It varies from being quite bad to moderate but never goes away. I think my diet helps it as Istopped eating chocolate totally (which depresses me as it was one of my favourite treats!!) dramatically cut down on butter an stopped drinking milk and therefore cereals as well.

As for picking i do that a lot and cant help it. Personally i have an obsession with picking blackheads to 'prevent' morre spots but it usually doesnt work. But i have found that sometimes if i dont pick a large spot for a long time, it doesnt go away at all!! Does anyone else find this happens?

I totally understand the feeling of wanting to pick spots...its the 'last one and theyll be gone' feeling-never true.

getting tons of red marks from picking has definately stopped me from touching my face.. STOP PICKING!

biggrin.gif

I always have a problem leaving my pores/blackheads alone which then gives me tons of inflamed spots.

If i don't pick for a week or so my skin is so much better and then i can go on for a few weeks only picking the occasional inflamed spot because I am quite happy that my skin is looking ok-ish.

But if I am down one day or bored and i start picking i can't stop, then when my skin looks shit i find it harder to stop...meaning a few weeks of crap skin until i see some sense and give it a rest for a week or so.

If I am having a hard time stopping picking i try and keep out of the bathroom by keeping busy, even telling my mum to shout at me to get out helps. And when Im putting my make up on i cover my mirror with moisturiser for example in crossed lines so i can't see all the imperfections just enough to put on my make up!I know that seems a bit odd but i know what its like when you can see those spots staring back at you!

What helps me is the fact that I can control the lighting when I look into a mirror. I try to only look into a mirror when it's dark so I can't see my redmarks/bumps. It really helps.

i put a 40 watt bulb in my bathroom and took out the 60 watt. that helped a bit. i threw away all my "tools", too. but, i got new ones!

i squint when i apply makeup. helps to mask all the crap i would rather not see. i wont brush my teeth when looking in the mirror. i also try to wash my face, then let it dry off and settle before going back to slather on the differin/antibiotic ointment. it seems like it is a bit more inflamed freshly washed. sometimes, some of the spots arent as puffy when it dries.

yes, i am a freak.

still pickin' though.

i put a 40 watt bulb in my bathroom and took out the 60 watt.  that helped a bit.  i threw away all my "tools", too.  but, i got new ones! 

i squint when i apply makeup.  helps to mask all the crap i would rather not see. i wont brush my teeth when looking in the mirror.  i also try to wash my face, then let it dry off and settle before going back to slather on the differin/antibiotic ointment.  it seems like it is a bit more inflamed freshly washed.  sometimes, some of the spots arent as puffy when it dries. 

yes, i am a freak.

still pickin' though.