Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Well, I went the Derm. about two weeks ago to see what I can do about my mild acne. She put me on these medications:

1. Doxycycline

2. Prascion (sodium sulfacetamide and sulfur cleanser)

3. Tazorac

My question is, who has been on these medications, and did it work? How long before it started to clear up the skin?

I've been on Doxycycline for about five months. It seems to have better longevity than my previous antibiotic (Minocycline). The bacteria haven't really become resistant yet. It works alright for me in fighting acne, but not great. It might work better for you.

I'm on oxytetracyline thats like doxycyline. Its so crap i cant eat teo hours before taking it and for 1 hour after and then it doesnt even work.

I've been on it a month too.

i was on doxy for about 1.5 years, which is longer than you're supposed to be on antibiotics, i know. but my doctor never said anything!!! booo.

however, the doxy did help a bunch. i had severe acne which was reduced to moderate/mild acne & my redness went down a lot! it couldn't get me quite completely clear, but it was helpful enough. also, i didn't get an initial breakout, which was wonderful. however, one of my friends was on doxy too & had the most hideous inital reaction ever, so i guess it just depends. oh, i'm not sure how long it took to work, but i started taking it over my winter break (1 month long) & when i got back to school, my friends noticed an improvement in my skin. so it worked in less than a month for me.

i'm immune to it now, i just stopped taking it one day & realized my skin remained the same. sooo yeah.

I have been on all three of those, the doxy is the only one that i saw a real improvement with. I started taking it about 8 months ago, and saw a big improvement after about 1 week. My prescription was for 2 100mg tabs per day. Never had any issues with upset stomach or light sensitivity.

The issue I had is that the doxy seems to have stopped working. My derma told me that i should cut back my dosage to 1 a day, which i did, but within the last month, my acne is back, if not worse than it was before the doxy. I have been doing a lot of research and have found that doxy kills good and bad bacteria. Now i believe that i have a candida problem.

Im going to start on some GSE and a low sugar and carb diet to see if i can get rid of the candida problem. I will be posting on my progress.