Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jeffnmadd15

On Amnesteem Now, Starting Journal(Please Read)

MAY 23, 2005

My name is Jeffrey, and I have had mild acne for about 2-3 years now(I am 15 now, turning 16 July 11). I have tried a few different options to eliminate my acne, but to no avail. I tried Retin-A-Micro, Differin, Minocycline, Docycycline, Evoclin, and quite a few other over-the-counter medications. The acne seems to be resistant to these treatments. So after like 2 years of trying a ton of medications, my dermatologist finally prescribed the isotretinoin Amnesteem.

Today I began the course of Amnesteem. I took my first pill at 11:40 with about 14 ounces of water, and a can of spaghetti-o's. I plan to take the second pill tonight at 8:00. I must alternate my doses though. Today I take two pills, tomorrow I only take one pill. It averages out to 60 mg per day, or 1 mg per kg of my body weight. Today also marks the beginning of my usage of Aquaphor instead of Blistex. I really want to prevent my lips from getting too dry. I don't want to have to kiss my girl friend with dry cracked lips. Anyway, I am hoping to avoid the nosebleeds. I really dislike nosebleeds. With the Aquaphor, maybe, just maybe, I can avoid the dry lips too. I am going to take a picture today too, with a disposable camera. Just as a reference. I think that I will only take a picture once a month though, that way I don't get discouraged.

I am also going to be telling people to watch out for and alert me if the see any mood swings. I really don't want to end up being another Amnesteem suicide statistic. I highly doubt it though. I have a girlfriend who seems to be supportive enough, and few of my friends ever say anything about my acne to begin with. I am a bit worried about the initial breakout, my dermatologist says that nearly everybody who uses the medication experiences an initial break out. I have never experienced an initial breakout before, and hopefully I don't this time either. Anyway, I feel that this is the beginning of the end for my acne. Although a plethora of side affects await me, I feel it is ultimately worth it to be able to go in for a kiss, and not have to worry about my skin.

eusa_angel.gif hihi!!! Jeffery!!!

i'm in 'tane on 24 May, just 24 hours after you started yours~~~

i really appreciate your positive attitude biggrin.gif you know what, since my derm introduced me that drug, i started my little research on web, in bookstore..... the more i read, the more i get confused~~~ i hesitated at first...........

but now, i understand that i shall put an end to my miserable acne life..... it hinders me from leading my normal life, it crashes my confidence down~~~~~~~ i shall regain my life, my real life and pursue my dream ~~~

i'm also very worried about the initial breakout, but i tell myself to keep calm if it happens~~ (i know if it does happen, it's hard to tackle, but we shall try our best to survive it!!!)

keep going!!!!! eusa_angel.gif

Thanks for the reply Swim

May 24, 2005

I know that it seems impossible, but it almost looks as though the Amnesteem is taking effect( I will try to post a picture soon. I am hesitant to post my picture, because it may be a tease to the ladies, but I am already taken, Sorry haha). My face and lips are already starting to dry out. I had three pimples just fall off today, and only my second day of treatment. I wont update like this too often, but I had to make a record. Also, there is a tiny pinpoint whithead on my upper lip. Thank God that I don't have school tomorrow(I got suspended), because my whiteheads(or pustules) get big. Hopefully the Amnesteem will dry it out quickly. I am still pretty worried about the initial breakout. I am probably going to spend the night with my girl friend saturday(I love her, and the time we spend together), so I hope I don't break out. Oh well, I have discussed this with her, and I am happy because it doesn't bother her. She is the greatest, she really likes me for what I am beneath the blemished surface. Haha, how lucky am I to have a girl friend like her, she doesn't realize how lucky.

I just shaved today(I don't grow facial hair too much, so I shave about once a week), so I hope I don't breakout from that. I got a an ingrown hair, ouch(and I am finally getting a bit of stubble). I am also making sure that I have a host of different options for the chapped lips. Blistex Clear Advance, for outside, spf 30. Blistex Lip Medex(blue container) for instant relief. I tried aquaphor, and I still have it, but I swear, the lanolin alcohol in it, has a drying effect on my lips. So I discontinued use of the Aquaphor. I must really have smooth soft lips though. I am sure that a kiss is a lot better with soft lips? Anyway, I am sure that my girlfriend will understand, even if my lips do really dry out. She is a really understanding person, one of the qualities I love about her. Does anybody have any suggestions for the lip care while on amnesteem(I really don't want badly chapped and dried lips)??? So this is my second day report for you. The first day I just posted today. Sorry about mentioning the girlfriend thing, I just want everybody to know that I found the girl that I want to spend my life with. I know these are strong words coming from a 15 year old, but I REALLY do Love her. Anyway, I hope you all enjoy my unique posting style, involving my personal life a bit.

Hey there !!

Good luck with Accutane and with ur gf biggrin.gif

Im on accutane as well , but 've been too lazy to start my personal log eusa_shhh.gif

btw , I dont think that u r gonna avoid the dry chapped lips , however u can control it , Personally Im using "vaseline brand Lip Therapy (petroleum jelly) and I find that its helped a Lot .

Keep us posted !!

MAY 25, 2005

Today is my third day on Amnesteem, and I must say that I am impressed. I may be easily impressed, but it seems like this stuff is really taking effect already. The little whitehead above my lip did grow a bit bigger, but it seems to be drying out already. Alos, I have gotten two new pimples on the right side of my head right along my hairline. They are just really red. Over all, I must say that I am pleased with the results already. I know now that my lips are already starting to dry, and the medicine is taking effect. Not only are my lips drying, my hip hurt when I woke up. Maybe it is a coincidence, but I have never had hip pain before.

I kind of wish that it wasn't "stereotypically gay" for a guy to wear makeup. It sounds like my inner cross-dresser speaking, but makeup would be nice to cover up the red spots, but oh well. I would rather have red spots showing than wear makeup, I don't like makup, except on girls. Besides, I don't think that people would understand if I wore makeup to school haha. I hate school more now for the reason that they use flourescent lighting. For all of those with acne, you know flourescent lighting can be a bitch. At least flourescent lighting is rarely used in houses an places like that, or I'd hate even being in my own house. Sun doesn't make acne look that bad either, but it isn't good for the acne so I avoid sunlight too. I really hope my face is a bit clearer by Saturday, I am supposed to spend the night with my girl friend. Actually, I just hope that I have so pustules or whiteheads because they are disgusting if you ask me. I hate having to pop a pimple, like a whitehead, but if I absoultely have to I do. I used to put salicylic acid 2% on it, with a BP persa-gel. The acid dries it up, and the BP kills the bacteria, so both causes for acne are covered.

Well, I seem to have been updating too much recently, but I am really amped up about starting this new medication. It has the reputation of being the last option, as close to a cure for acne as you will get. So I guess that fact is kind of giving me the idea that everyday my face gets better and better. I am definately being optimistic, but I really do feel like I see an improvement in my face. My face is still oily when I wake up, and I don't need to moisturize yet. I hope that soon, my face will start to dry, so I can see the real benefits. I kind of think now that some people just DO NOT get initial breakouts. I believe I am one of the lucky ones who doesn't. It has only been three days so maybe I will still get a breakout;I sure hope not. If I do, I am sure that I can cope. I got to go, so I will update soon. Bye.

heya jeff.. congrats on started tane.. you wont regret it.. im about 2 and a half months in and im on my way to a smooth and clear face.. keep a positive attitude and dont let those breakouts get to you.. cus tane works different for everyone.. but in the end.. you'll be clear..

MAY 29, 2005

Today is the end of my first pack of 10 pills. I am already experiencing a lot of the mental side effects. I have been having drastic mood swings, depression, and even crying spells. I haven't had any suicidal thoughts yet, but I am beginning to worry. I talked to my girlfriend about it, and she said that I should probably stop the medicine, but I really don't want to. I love the thought of clear skin in the near future. Maybe I am just adjusting to the medicine, so I am getting hit hard with the side effects now??? Or, it could be that I really am crying because of legitimate things lately.

Whatever it is, I am not liking spending almost half an hour a day crying. It is so embarrassing, I am not supposed to cry, I am a guy(no offense ladies, just stereotypically I am not supposed to cry). It feels so good to cry though, just let the flood gates loose I say. Apart from the mood swings, the only other side effect is dry skin and lips. It seems already my face is loads better. I actually went out the other day with like only two active pimples, which were on my forehead. I got a small cyst today on my forehead, but it isn't bad at all. I have also been experiencing joint and muscle pain, mostly my neck and back. I will update later to let you know of anything new going on.

Hang in there! 15 is a tough age to begin with, let alone adding acne into the mix. But you're doing something about the acne and that's what you've got to remember. You're just getting started, but in just a few months (or weeks even) you will not believe the results. Probably before school starts back you'll have much clearer skin. biggrin.gif This is my second round of generic accutane, my first (amnesteen) did clear up my skin A LOT. But I have adult cystic acne (I'm 34) and it came back a year later. So, I'm doing it again! Sometimes it takes 2 courses.

And about the makeup stuff, have you ever tried Clearasil's tinted bp cream or the tinted sulfur cream (adult acne)? It's not makeup, but it's tinted to somewhat cover up redness. I'm a girl, but sometimes when I'm just hanging out around the house I'll put some of it on my really bad zits to take some of the red out. It might be too drying down the road, but right now it might help? You won't need it for long because the accutane will start clearing them all up, you'll see.

Just keep in mind that you're not alone! There are a lot of us acne sufferers out there. eusa_wall.gif And it can be a tough battle, but we WILL prevail!

So, chin up! And keep writing!

hey jeffrey- i am also starting amnesteem today so im kind of nervous

it is really aweosme that it is working so well for you

however, you really should tell your dermatologist about the mood swings and crying spells just to be on the safe side.

the makeup deal- clinque's Acne Solutions Concealing Cream- it has 2% salicylic acid in it, does a pretty good job about covering them up and you can't really tell you have any makeup on.it's only $13, and works pretty well.