Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I use it over BP. My skin hates BP, so I mostly stick to acids, and yes, it can work. All about finding the right prod for you bc there are so many diff ones out there, and something that combines different acids may be best for some. I'm currently using (and liking) Garnier PureA Night Treatment and Pure Shine Control Moisturizer which both have BA and zinc. Seems to be working well so far, but have only been using for about a week, however have been using BA (SA) for years and generally get better results from this than from BP

BP just makes my skin too red and irritated, so even if I was acne-free, I still looked like I had a chemical burn, and all-over red, flakey skin is harder to cover up than the occasional spot, not that I think it ever worked any better for me anyway (and yes, I did try the Regimine a few years ago and no it did not agree with me).

I use it over BP.  My skin hates BP, so I mostly stick to acids, and yes, it can work.  All about finding the right prod for you bc there are so many diff ones out there, and something that combines different acids may be best for some.  I'm currently using (and liking) Garnier PureA Night Treatment and Pure Shine Control Moisturizer which both have BA and zinc.  Seems to be working well so far, but have only been using for about a week, however have been using BA (SA) for years and generally get better results from this than from BP

BP just makes my skin too red and irritated, so even if I was acne-free, I still looked like I had a chemical burn, and all-over red, flakey skin is harder to cover up than the occasional spot, not that I think it ever worked any better for me anyway (and yes, I did try the Regimine a few years ago and no it did not agree with me).

I couldnt agree more. Salicylic acid isnt supposed to be useful for moderate acne> but for mild, it could be the anwer.

I don't really care for BHA. I've tried it in .5%, 1%, and 2%. All concentrations and topicals I tried it with just didn't cut it. It doesn't do much for active acne, and failed to prevent my acne as well, I won't use it again.

The reason I'm leaning towards salicylic acid over BP is because although BP has a very potent antibacterial effect its anti-comedone affect is minimal. However, whilst salicylic acid is not renown for its antibacterial effect, it is 'suppossed' to be a very good anti-comedone agent.

However, salicylic acid has a reputation as being too mild, and therefore doctors will overlook it is a viable treatment. Infact the guidlines for a doctor dealing with an acne patient are...

''Peeling agents such as sulphur-containing preparations and salicylic acid are generally considered inferior to the more modern topical treatments for acne [bNF 43, 2002][sykes, Jr. and Webster, 1994]. Salicyclic acid may be an option for someone with comedonal acne who cannot tolerate retinoids.''

And these official guidlines go on to recommend BP, Azelaic acid and Topical retinoids or antibiotics instead.

Well, I'm not certain, but my intuition would leave me to believe;

*Topical retinoids- although very anti-comedonal, they dry up the skin too much, substituting one problem for a whole host of others, ie. redness, flakey skin, the need to moisturise... which in turn cause more comedones.

*Azelaic acid- OK antibacterial/comedonal properties, but again creates a whole host of other problems.

*BP- excellent antibacterial agent but poor anticomedone affect. Again, creates more problems with excessive dryness.

*Topical Retinoids- excellent anticomedone affect, slightly antibacterial. AGAIN, causes excessive dryness and more problems.

*Topical antibiotics- only antibacterial.

So, bearing in mind salicylic is mild, but very anticomedonal, I'm leaning towards thinking it is ideal for people with mild acne, and should be the most effective agent. Is the fact that it isn't as potent an antibacterial agent significant?- seeing that the levels of bacteria have been shown to be the same on people with and without acne. Besides, if you remove the comedone, (with the salicylic acid), you simultaneously remove the conditions the bacteria need to cause acne anyway?

Yeah i am starting to lean towards SA also, i not long ago brought the exfol serum from skinbio.com, so i will see what happends to my mild acne

Apparently SA is at its most effective at 2%.

Also, SA does actually eliminate acne causing bacteria i have read aswell as unblock pores.

Tom

Yeah i am starting to lean towards SA also, i not long ago brought the exfol serum from skinbio.com, so i will see what happends to my mild acne

Apparently SA is at its most effective at 2%.

Also, SA does actually eliminate acne causing bacteria i have read aswell as unblock pores.

Tom

The reason I'm leaning towards salicylic acid over BP is because although BP has a very potent antibacterial effect its anti-comedone affect is minimal. However, whilst salicylic acid is not renown for its antibacterial effect, it is 'suppossed' to be a very good anti-comedone agent.

However, salicylic acid has a reputation as being too mild, and therefore doctors will overlook it is a viable treatment. Infact the guidlines for a doctor dealing with an acne patient are...

''Peeling agents such as sulphur-containing preparations and salicylic acid are generally considered inferior to the more modern topical treatments for acne [bNF 43, 2002][sykes, Jr. and Webster, 1994]. Salicyclic acid may be an option for someone with comedonal acne who cannot tolerate retinoids.''

And these official guidlines go on to recommend BP, Azelaic acid and Topical retinoids or antibiotics instead.

Well, I'm not certain, but my intuition would leave me to believe;

*Topical retinoids- although very anti-comedonal, they dry up the skin too much, substituting one problem for a whole host of others, ie. redness, flakey skin, the need to moisturise... which in turn cause more comedones.

Cool. Whats Azalex? does it contain azelaic acid?

Btw, studies have shown no significant difference in the levels of the bacteria Propionibacterium between people with/without acne, infact people with acne tend to have less due to their superior hygiene rituals. (this is fairly common knowledge)

I use SA 2%.

It doesn't cure my acne but I cut it out of my regime for about two months and then brought it back in and realised that it does make a difference.

In my experience SA by itself is just not enough but i think it is one of the necessary components in a good acne fighting combination/regime, complementing other products and enhancing their effectiveness

Check out the 'Salicylic Acid Gets No Respect" thread by Robert in the Scar Forum. There's a 20% BHA peel I've been using from an online company he recommended and I love it.