Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wishfulthinkin

switching for proactiv to the regimen

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone on this board has ever switched from using proactiv to bp gel. I've been using proactiv for about 4 months now, and so far it is the only product that has ever even remotely worked for me. I've even tried Accutane and it only worked while I was on it. As soon as I stopped taking it I broke out again. Anyways, the proactiv does work somewhat (it has reduced my pimples by about 70 percent), but it is expensive. I've ordered some bp gel to see if that will be more effective for me, but I'm nervous because I've heard that people have experienced some bad breakouts after going off the proactiv. Will this still happen if I replace it with the regimen? Can someone please help? Also, do you think the regimen will work better than the proactiv? Maybe make my skin 89-90 percent clear.

Thank you so much biggrin.gif

The last thing I had tried before starting the Regimen, was Proactiv. It was my second attempt with Proactiv, both times it did nothing to improve my skin, and actually made it worse. Plus the cost, as you mentioned, is awful. I went straight from Proactiv to the Regimen, and only had vast improvements. You should be fine switching from one type of bp product to another. They both use 2.5% bp, the only big difference is you will now be using a gentle cleanser, not the granule cleanser like Proactiv, and you will use a moisturizer, and no toner involved. It is also cheaper, and much more effective for me.

So, give it a go and report back how it is going for you. And remember, you are going to be applying much more bp than the proactiv recommends.

good luck!

I switched from Proactiv to PanOxyl 2.5%, but I had used it for over 20 years before I used Proactiv for about a year and a half. I found the PanOxyl, which is an aqua based gel for sensitive skin, somewhat more drying than Proactiv lotion, even when I had applied generous amounts of Proactiv.

With Proactiv, I had some of the clearest skin ever, but periodically, I also suffered from some of the worst lesions in my life, and still have small craters (you can see the circumference from the pimple) from what I think was due to the cleanser, which, even when applied gently, was way too harsh for on my skin.

I think you'll be happy to use a gentle cleanser, not have to use a really useless toner (it also dried out my skin and I used just tiny amounts), and be able to apply your new bp gel with much greater freedom, since you won't worry about running out.

I suffered no break outs from the switchover, which was immediate, i.e. the next day. I don't actually understand what caused these people to break out. Please remember to apply your bp lotion generously and consistently (I only use it once a day, and I have a range of 90%-100%; I can't tolerate it more frequently). I'm guessing that you can do the full dose, rather than gradually, since you've been using bp for several months already. wink.gif

If ProActiv has worked for you, don't worry about mixing BP creams with the cleanser or toner. They work fairly well. I use ProActiv and when I run out of the Repairing Lotion (2.5% BP) I use Neutrogena On-the-Spot Vanishing Cream which is also 2.5% BP, and it works fine, no irritation or change.

As soon as you would stop a topical based regimen breaking out would be natural to occur, they don't cure acne they prevent it.

Oh and about the cost, your paying for 3 products, the cost isn't that expensive it's well worth it. A 0.75 FL OZ tube of On-the-Spot is damn near 10$ in Canada. That's expensive.

revolution, i am curious about using the cleanser & toner from proactiv with my regimen. i have dans bp gel. the reason i wanted to use these products is because when i used proactive i immediatly cleared alot. soon though i would go back to having more acne than before. This may be caused by my lack of only applying a thin layer of proactivs bp gel. if i used the amount dan recommends with these two products, do you think i will stay clear?

I use the cleanser and toner, I think they are amazing products, but it's really on how you feel about them. If you use your ProActiv system with Dan's techniques, you should clear, because that's exactly what I did and I cleared.

Guest TylerD

The regimen is better in every way. The proactiv cleanser is to harsh i always though i just use dove bar soap and it makes my skin feel great then i use a mary kay toner #3 which is very good and then i use dan's bp and ive been doing that for a while and ive had my fair share of breakouts but as today stands otehr then like 3 zits im totally clear.

Oh and about the cost, your paying for 3 products, the cost isn't that expensive it's well worth it. A 0.75 FL OZ tube of On-the-Spot is damn near 10$ in Canada. That's expensive.