Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amcgill

Help! Frustrated! Still acne on week 5?!

I've been on this regimen for 5 weeks now and i am still getting some acne and have way more red marks than I have ever had before? Should I stick it out or try something else? I am getting very frustrated.

I had acne through my teenage years and then started to clear up in my early 20's never perfect but survivable. Over the past year I have been having many hormonal issues and my skin has went crazy!

Current regimen:(morning and evening)

wash face with spectrogel

apply BP (Dan's)

apply moisturizer (emu oil at night and cetaphil in morn)

Anyone have any suggestions or had the same problem?

It took a lot more than 5 weeks for BP gel to work for me, so you might just need to give it some more time. I was using BP gel (morning and night) for probably 8 weeks and there was some improvement, but I was still breaking out fairly regularly. I finally figured out that I wasn't using enough of the gel and that it worked better (for me anyway) to use it only at night. I also did a lot of experimenting with cleansers and moisturizers before I figured out what combination worked best for my skin.

But it paid off because now my skin is pretty much totally clear and when I do get a blemish, it clears up within a couple of days (I still have some red spots, though). Considering that I have been on just about every medication there is (including accutane..twice) and NONE of it worked, the regimen has worked wonders for me.

Anyway, so my advice would be

1. Give it some more time

2. Double-check the regimen info to make sure you are using enough of the gel

3. Test a few different things (one at a time) to figure out which products work best for you

If you need some ideas of what to try, this is what finally worked for me:

Morning:

wash face with Cetaphil (just bought some Burt's Bees Lettuce Scrub to try in place of this)

Olay Complete All-Day Moisture Lotion for Sensitive Skin (SPF 15)

Night:

wash with a mixture of Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash and a pinch of baking soda

BP gel (I use quite a bit and spend 5-7 minutes gently massaging it into my skin until it is all absorbed)

Anyway, I hope this helps!

It took a lot more than 5 weeks for BP gel to work for me, so you might just need to give it some more time.  I was using BP gel (morning and night) for probably 8 weeks and there was some improvement, but I was still breaking out fairly regularly.  I finally figured out that I wasn't using enough of the gel and that it worked better (for me anyway) to use it only at night.  I also did a lot of experimenting with cleansers and moisturizers before I figured out what combination worked best for my skin. 

But it paid off because now my skin is pretty much totally clear and when I do get a blemish, it clears up within a couple of days (I still have some red spots, though).  Considering that I have been on just about every medication there is (including accutane..twice) and NONE of it worked, the regimen has worked wonders for me.

Anyway, so my advice would be

1. Give it some more time

2. Double-check the regimen info to make sure you are using enough of the gel

3. Test a few different things (one at a time) to figure out which products work best for you

If you need some ideas of what to try, this is what finally worked for me:

Morning:

wash face with Cetaphil (just bought some Burt's Bees Lettuce Scrub to try in place of this)

Olay Complete All-Day Moisture Lotion for Sensitive Skin (SPF 15)

Night:

wash with a mixture of Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash and a pinch of baking soda

BP gel (I use quite a bit and spend 5-7 minutes gently massaging it into my skin until it is all absorbed)

Anyway, I hope this helps!

Anything that works takes a long time.

A friend of mine, for example, was on acutance for 5 months before she was clear.

I've been on ot over a month myself and I'm still getting breakouts, but I'm pretty sure it's slowly getting better. Only consistency and time will tell.