Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My skin is incredibly DRY. it's flakely from my cheeks, along my jaw line and on my chin. moisturizers don't seem to help even sensitive ones, they just seem to make it worse i don't know why. i've tried jojoba oil and that doesn't seem to be working either it seems to be bringing out more flakes.

i hate it because i can't even cover up my acne with foundation and makeup because with dry skin it just gets all cakey and gross. is there any difference with like using a liquid/powder whatever and it being better for dry skin?

if anyone knows of anything i can do to get rid of dryness? i'm so frustrated and i don't know WHAT to do!

i'm not on accutane.

i'm using sulfacet-r it wasn't even making me REALLY REALLY dry until lately.

i don't use a cleanser because nothing seems to help and it just makes it worse so i'm using a little products as possible.

I would try a gentle cleanser, then exfoliate, and give AHA a try (Eucerin Skin Renewal, Neutrogena, or Walgreen's brand are good) -it should eliminate dry, flaky skin, might take a month to get rid of it all though.

I used to have the same problem-I had flaky dry skin that looked horrible. A little over 1 month on AHA, and my skin is no longer flaky (but I notice whenever I don't use AHA twice a day, the flakes come back rolleyes.gif ).

As for make-up, make sure you exfoliate right before moisturizing, then apply your make-up when your skin is still slightly damp, then make sure not to rub your face on anything. If you exfoliate, your make-up should look good whether it be liquid or powder.

I would try a gentle cleanser, then exfoliate, and give AHA a try (Eucerin Skin Renewal, Neutrogena, or Walgreen's brand are good) -it should eliminate dry, flaky skin, might take a month to get rid of it all though.

I used to have the same problem-I had flaky dry skin that looked horrible. A little over 1 month on AHA, and my skin is no longer flaky (but I notice whenever I don't use AHA twice a day, the flakes come back  rolleyes.gif ).

As for make-up, make sure you exfoliate right before moisturizing, then apply your make-up when your skin is still slightly damp, then make sure not to rub your face on anything. If you exfoliate, your make-up should look good whether it be liquid or powder.

Powder foundations work a lot better on flakey skin than liquids do. If I ever get dry skin, I have to use a powder one, otherwise my foundation is like eugh!

Whenever I have extremely flaky skin, and I really really need to wear a foundation, I use Nearly Naked by Almay. Its the nastiest stuff, and isn't a heavy coverage, but it gives some coverage and hides flakes really well. I always use it with a concelear and just dab some loose powder on it.

If you can buy it cheap I would suggest you try it out.

But, your still going to have to rely on concelear for the spots you really need to cover, cuz like I said this foundation is very sheer, kinda like a tinted moisturizer, and btw it does contain spf. Its also suppose to be non-comedogenic(sp?) and oil-free.

Guest Keeley

I heard that MAC studio tech foundation is really good for those people with really dry skin cool.gif

try an aspirin mask to get rid of the flakes (rub it off lightly with your fingers), or, as someone else suggested, AHAs.

Try applying a concealer all over as foundation, but don't rub it on- dot it on with a sponge. As soon as you rub it'll upset the flakes, so just cover by dotting all over, then sweep with powder. After a bit of light exfoliation and some moisturzer, it should do the trick.

good luck!

this may be scoffed at, not sure..

but ive recently tried dove bar soap for sensitive skin, and this stuff usually takes away all my dryness. have you tried something like cortate?

thanks for the suggestions everyone!

the dryness seems to be getting a little less on it's own... i'll leave my skin alone for now until it gets really bad and then i'll try something new