Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Twoism

bodybuilding diet+acne free = non-compatible

This is some information i found in regards to diet and acne which contradicts everything i have learned about a bodybuilding diet.

Acne and Calories:

Consuming excess calories can result in an anabolic state which influences hormone levels. You may notice your acne worsening after eating too much. Calorie restriction means taking in enough calories to maintain your ideal body weight.

but adding excess calories to your diet is essential in order to gain significant amounts of muscle.

Acne and Protein intake

Testosterone is converted to a more potent form called dihydrotestosterone (DHT) by an enzyme called 5 alpha reductase. Acne patients show an increase activity of this enzyme resulting in more potent androgens to cause more oil production and clogging of pores.

Acne diet tip: By maintaining a higher intake of protein in relation to carbohydrates you reduce the activity of 5 alpha reductase and thus the formation of the more potent DHT. Avoid consuming carbohydrates which total more than 60 to 70% of your diet and keep your protein intake about 40 to 45%.

Since I gear most of my diet towards vegetarian, I avoid meat. They can contain hormones, pesticides, residual antibiotics and saturated fat. The best source of protein is from whey. Whey protein powders are a superior form of protein which require minimal digestion and depending on how it was manufactured, contains low fat and minimal lactose plus other ingredients beneficial to health.

Although whey protein is often used to supplement a bodybuilding diet, the ratio of protein to carbohydrates needed when bodybuilding contradict what this information is saying, you need to take in more carbohydrates than protein when bodybuilding.

On top of this information, there is also the fact that bodybuilding raises testosterone which plays a big role in excess sebum production, and important bodybuilding foods such as peanut butter (We all know saturated and trans fatty acids are harmful to health. These type of bad fats tend to promote inflammation in the body and contribute to more oily skin. Peanut butter and its oil is especially bad for acne, It seems to increase oil production) and Turkey and broccoli ( which have medium to high iodine concentrations), can all contribute to acne.

eusa_wall.gif

I always thought that peanut butter triggers acne. I'm glad to hear you confirm my thoughts. But broccoli and turkey because of the iodine content? That's interesting and it make sense.

If you search one of my earlier posts, I've gone in some what in depth abt what protein shake to use in order to avoid acne. It's worked for me pretty well. Or just use tuna (I know ure a veg. , just a tip for other users).

Instead of 100% Optimum Whey, use Zero Carb Isolate. If you want more info, i'll be glad to expand. Lemme know.