Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Minnym0use

SUBWAY LUNCH TEEN

My son is going to the big city tomorrow with some friends and they will eat at mall. He was asking what might be a good choice. Not much to pick from at our mall. We looked up Subway "whole wheat" and it does have some honey and I am sure some white flour. The Atkins wrap has more fiber, 0 sugars and a little more fat. He isn't interested in just a salad as the only acceptable dressing is oil and vinegar and their vinegar isn't balsamic and isn't the most tasty to him. He isn't going to eat cheese or mayo or bacon. When someone ventures beyond their own home diet is often not easily controlled, but they can try to at least pick something that won't put them in a huge tailspin be it acne or weight or blood pressure or cholesterol.

I am happy that he cares to try and pick the healthiest thing he can.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

The atkins wraps are probably his best choice at subway..I asked for the ingredients once- they are made with white and whole wheat flours, and soy flour. Also wheat gluten as a separate ingredient. But it's still better than the bread.

You can get any sandwich made into a wrap- usually the whole meat ones (not processed meats) are healthiest. Tuna is bad because of the mayo they use (cottonseed oil).

I like the chicken bacon ranch with half the dressing wink.gif

The atkins wraps are probably his best choice at subway..I asked for the ingredients once- they are made with white and whole wheat flours, and soy flour. Also wheat gluten as a separate ingredient. But it's still better than the bread.

You can get any sandwich made into a wrap- usually the whole meat ones (not processed meats) are healthiest. Tuna is bad because of the mayo they use (cottonseed oil).

I like the chicken bacon ranch with half the dressing wink.gif

I bring my own food places. I look like a loser, but since I am a vegan things are limited. Your son probably would not want to bring his own bread and tell them to put it on there though.

^^^^^^

They would probably laugh at you. Plus they don't fix up food from other establishments.

It great that he wants to eat healthy but theres healthy and then there's too healthy. Kind of like those guys that go around scared of germs all the time. How about he just eats whatever he wants and let him enjoy his trip? One meal isn't going to ruin his life, even if he breaks out a little. Diabetics eat ice cream every once in a while because you know what, you can't live your life with such a restricted diet such as the acne one many of you follow. What is he going to do when(If) he travels? When he goes places where nobody speaks his language and he doesn't even know what he's really eating? I've had some of the most delicious meals eating things I had no clue about and would probably make some of you on acne diets faint but you know what I wouldn't trade those experiences for the world(Practically my whole time in Vietnam was don't ask just eat what the locals do).

Now this is a little far fetched comparing a trip around the world to the mall but I get the impression that this doesn't happen often so why not let him pig out? Those that have high cholesterol, are obese, hypertension, etc... as long as they eat well most of the time, I've never seen anyone worse off in the long run by splurging once in a while. Sometimes you gotta. I'm not talking about organic dried apricots as splurging(Sorry about the jab biggrin.gif ) but a Mig Mac meal with a blizzard for dessert. He can eat his 4.00 breads and whatnot when he gets home, but he's going to the big city. eusa_dance.gif

Your son probably would not want to bring his own bread and tell them to put it on there though.

I commend your son for trying to pick the best food he can. For someone his age, it's definitely great to hear how he acknowledges the effect of unthought choices. What I feel is, I think you can use this trip to expose your son to the outside world. You can never be beside him all the time, so this trip will be like a "dry-run" as to how he's going to manage himself (including his diet of course) when he's on his own.

Well I agree with the above posters : I think he can eat "unhealthy" for one meal. If he's been following his diet really seriously, one meal isn't going to change anything biggrin.gif

Well I agree with the above posters : I think he can eat "unhealthy" for one meal. If he's been following his diet really seriously, one meal isn't going to change anything  biggrin.gif

Hi minymouse,

I am in a similar dilema this friday night. Its my brothers girlfriends 30th and we are going for a chinese. Now what the hell do i do?

My skin is reall good at the mo.

I went through a bad week but i had slipped up and had chocolate and a few beers which gave me crap skin but now 2 weeks later my skin is fantastic, i have been living on 100% whole foods.

But the chinese is looming eusa_wall.gif

Hi minymouse,

I am in a similar dilema this friday night. Its my brothers girlfriends 30th and we are going for a chinese. Now what the hell do i do?

My skin is reall good at the mo.

I went through a bad week but i had slipped up and had chocolate and a few beers which gave me crap skin but now 2 weeks later my skin is fantastic, i have been living on 100% whole foods.

But the chinese is looming eusa_wall.gif

This is why I can't ever be in the military. There was a woman on Healthboards that was contemplating going into the military and I don't know if she finally did do so, but she admitted and she's an even BIGGER proponent of natural, healthy diets for acne, PCOS, etc than I am, that she would have to eat their MREs. Whereas myself, I KNOW my family history.

I know that on my mother's side there's some overweight and 2 or 3 that are obese among a few other things. I KNOW on my father's side that most of them are either boderline or have Type II Diabetes. My aunts are nurses and they aren't overweight, may have more than theyd like and at least one of them takes 5 pills a day (3 different ones for type II diabetes) and still continues to eat a certain way. I've always heard how I favored one of my cousins and when I met her a few weeks back when visiting family I understood what they meant. We are both the skinny ones in the family and we are both the ONLY ones that suffer from adult acne. Yet it was so great when my other aunt looked at me and said that my skin was looking very good. I proceeded to tell them all why. Thanking them for my genetics and how it ended up affecting me differently and this is why (not because I'm a vegetarian) I refused to eat those pork chops because they were lightly battered & fried (this doesn't matter as much) in white flour.

Of course, when we ate out I did eat. I had salmon, shrimp, chicken, rice, veggies (had this the other day at Chilis too), but I also had to make other food choices. We had chinese food and it was DARK ricie meaning it was probably coated in soysauce (the packets which I didn't use had corn syrup as one of the ingredients). I had brococoli Chicken and while it was tasty it was saturated in gravy (never had this type before), which of course means that it may have been thickened with some sort of flour, probably wheat. Unfortunately we ate at some Bar-b-Que places and when it comes to those sauces I know some type of sugar is going to be in them. So I tried ordering foods that I know wouldn't be as smothered in the sauces. I still paid for it a week later though, but my skin is looking better now. Yet that's what I do, I didn't order any salads on the trip except for the tasty one I brought with me on the plane from one of the airport resturants (some sort fo frut, soup, sandwhich place that's also inside malls) because the meats used on salads aren't always tasty, or "safe" acne wise, but the bulk of the fiber from the salad should make up for it.

Oh and as for picking what to eat at the mall, I either go for salads (that I don't already know the ingredients used to cook the meats), without dressings. I use salt or pepper or olives or banana peppers or the meats own seasoning for flavor. Otherwise, I go for asian resturants. In fact the night before I left to visit my family my friends and I went shopping at the mall. It came down to us being hungry and I told them, eat whereever you want, but I'm getting eithe Chines or Japanese. I told them if you want Chik-Filet or a Steakpedo, I'll bring my food over to where you are eating at (we don't have an open food court). Instead most of the agreed to eat Japanese except one and so she brought here steakpedos over there with us. While I usually get a certain meal that I know is free of sugar, that night I tried something different and oh my heavens was it sweet. It tasted like it was sweetened with honey, and despite the brown rice and veggies in the mix (I didn't finish it all or nor have time to), on day two of my trip, I had acne. So there's some gambles but I now know not to order that particular dish again. That's how I do it when eating out. I try to pick things that seem like they won't have wheat, sugar, or trans fats in them. If they end up tasting sweet, I know not to order them again.

Ooops I forgot, I DID have another fast food salad while on vacation. My cousin wanted a hamburger from sonic and so I had one of their salads, minus the cheese. IT was OK, but in general I perfer resturant salads or homemade because they tend to be tastier and/or cheaper if I make my own. However when eating out, I generally go for Mexican (corn based) or Asian (rice based) foods. Corn tortillas (not fried like a hard taco shell) are so incredibly tastey and probablyt the closest Gluten-Free food you can find that's a bread [product & tasty. There's also rice tortillas, but I've yet to try those. However when eating at a mexican resturant you'll have to request corn tortillas, or they'll give you "flour" tortillas. Also when eating out, I tend to grab more veggies. It's unfortunate though because where I was, they charged extra money to substitute green beans or baked popotat for 2 side dishes and even more if I was only going to "substitute" it for 1. That's a rip off and in return they gave me a ton of food, plenty of bread (2 slices of Texas toast and corn muffin, made with more than corn flour). I would have gladly accepted none of the bread if I didn't have to pay the extra fees for my substituitions (I ate french fries but got the green beans). LOL, eating healthier at some places can be a bit of a rip off when dealing with that kind of mentality.

Oh and like I was saying I couldn't join the military because I use food and exercise (which I would get PLENTY of) as means for controlling and hopefully preventing myself from getting type II diabetes. Since they don't want people that require the use of medications anyway, if I went off my diet, and went back to Avandia & Spiro, not only would my skin be worse, but they still wouldn't take me because I need the medications. Oh well...

That's my 2 cents

Hi all,

My son is suffering from pretty bad acne, we don't do fast food any more, but subway is an occasional place we grab something, and it

is almost always a wrap. They put lots of veggies on them, you can

skip the sauces, the turkey or chicken ones are pretty good. For a teenage boy, he may need two of them, they are not really filling. But I haven't seen any damage from eating there once in a while. I think

subway is trying to attract the health conscious crowd. eusa_clap.gif

Minny,

I'm sure your son will be fine because normally he sticks to his diet, and one meal probably won't set him back. I don't know what Subway options are becasue I don't touch that stuff (and didn't even before I had acne). One thing I do when we go out to our favorite burrito place is order one of the vegan burritos WITHOUT the tortilla, so I end up with a big plate of rice, beans, lettuce, pea sprouts, salsa and avocado. My favorite at another place we go is the falafel which usually comes as a wrap, so I just get that without the wrap too, so it's a plate of falafel and veggies and tahini sauce.

I wouldn't consider any fast food part of a "balanced" life. Like bloodcries, I bring my own food if I know I'll be somewhere where I don't want to eat what's available, and I don't really care what people think of me. (I've never gotten any negative reactions, but then I'm not a teenager, and you'll NEVER catch me in the mall) Most of my friends are health nuts too, and if not, usually parties we go to are potlucks anyways, so I bring something I can eat. I did this even before I was on an "acne" diet, because I consider most of what's out there to be complete crap that I in turn feel like crap when I eat.

I've never travelled in Asia, but I have travelled a lot, and I've always managed just fine, and I would never let my diet stop me from traveling. It might not always be vegan (I ate fresh fish in Alaska because people were giving it to us), but it's not so hard to stay away from processed crap with a little planning.

So I was volunteering in N. Cascades Nat'l Park this past weekend and one of the other volunteers was trying to open a bag of chips and she said she swore humans are going to become extinct someday because they keep making the packaging harder and harder to open, so we won't be able to open our packaged food anymore, and we'll starve. That would be pretty fucking ironic. We're going to package ourselves to extinction.

Holy crap I feel sorry for some of you, especially Jade. If my diet restricted me from living my life to the fullest unless I risked breaking out I think I would break down and end up doing liver flushes. In fact I'm certain of it.

Minny: I understood what you were saying but I was just taking a bit longer to say that no fast food in a mall is going to be really healthy. The salads probably use crap iceberg lettuce, the whole meats are low quality, etc... Also, and don't take this too hard, but you come off as babying your kid. Until I actually read it in one of your posts, I assumed for a long time that your kid was 8 or so.

I'm happy that some of you are instilling these values in your children and yourselves; but reading what some of you consider eating junk food or taking a risk isn't really that bad at all. Your junk food is still better than 90% of the rest of the populations good food. I'm just wondering could it be partially due to a conditioned reation in your mind that you expect to break out after eating certain things? I just don't see how someone who's diet contributes to such a well functioning body can break out at the slightest slipup. It just seems that some of you come off as frail or weak when your bodies should tolerate extremes every once in a while better than most due to your healthy choices most of the time.

Holy crap I feel sorry for some of you, especially Jade. If my diet restricted me from living my life to the fullest unless I risked breaking out I think I would break down and end up doing liver flushes. In fact I'm certain of it.

Minny: I understood what you were saying but I was just taking a bit longer to say that no fast food in a mall is going to be really healthy. The salads probably use crap iceberg lettuce, the whole meats are low quality, etc... Also, and don't take this too hard, but you come off as babying your kid. Until I actually read it in one of your posts, I assumed for a long time that your kid was 8 or so.

I'm happy that some of you are instilling these values in your children and yourselves; but reading what some of you consider eating junk food or taking a risk isn't really that bad at all. Your junk food is still better than 90% of the rest of the populations good food. I'm just wondering could it be partially due to a conditioned reation in your mind that you expect to break out after eating certain things? I just don't see how someone who's diet contributes to such a well functioning body can break out at the slightest slipup. It just seems that some of you come off as frail or weak when your bodies should tolerate extremes every once in a while better than most due to your healthy choices most of the time.

Sorry you feel that way but it's telling that I wasn't the only one that thought that.

Also, it's a public forum and when you post something be prepared to get all sorts of replies good and bad, helpful and useless. You don't like insults or what you think are insults then don't put yourself out there.

Okay, let me backtrack here a bit. I never implied that any of you were weak of frail. I said it SEEMS like it becuase you all have such healthy diets that it would seems like your body would be exytremely resiliant against slight slipups after a few years of amazing eating. Yet you eat a tiny bit of one thing and you break out, and I'm at a loss. Diabetics aren't even as sensitive as some of you and their bodies react much more quickly to changes(Or else the symptoms are just easier to detect becuase they are external and immediate).

Secondly, when I said you weren't living life to the fullest, I meant that as more of somethign that was on my mind bugging me, and what would limit me in my travels than an accusation about you. For instance if I were to go on your acne diet, I would have starved in most of Asia, couldn't eat the great foods in France, Italy would be a bust becuase of the reliance on pasta, eggs, etc... in everything but the veggie dishes(And those are served with pasta), forget Germany and Eastern Europe with their fatty meats, bread, and thick sauces, etc...

See the American diet consisting of trans fats, processed foods, etc... is unnatural but the diet with either gluten grains, white rice, potatoes, sugar in cooking, dairy in sauces or baking, etc... is common to all cultures.

I just find it hard to believe that so many things are defective in your body. Maybe it just seems unfair to me, I don't know.

I "cheat" all the time. Today I had my favorite-- "peanut cabana"; carrot juice, banana, peanut butter and ice all blended. yum With that pb and banana, that's a big acne no-no. (Of course, I've never specifically tested those things to see if they cause me acne.) I can tell if I've been "cheating" too much, because my face will look like it is "primed" to break out. But if I just hop right back on my "regimen," I don't break out. Yesterday, I thought I was going to get a zit because I had a little bump that looked like it was going to turn into one and I had been slacking on some of the things I normally do. But I was strict with all the aspects of my "diet" yesterday, and this morning, it was non-existant.

i'm cheating more and more and am finding much to my delight - that i'm not suffering horrible consequences. i believe this is a result of me increasing my exercise to counteract the effects.. and also a result of being REALLY strict with my diet for the first 4 months. i think this gave my digestive system, liver, bowels, etc. time to repair and restore their healthy balance of bacteria and perhaps rid myself of some candida. therefore i'm not as sensitive as i once was.

a couple of weeks ago was my daughters birthday and her favorite cake is vanilla with a rich, dreamy bavarian creme center layer and butter creme frosting. i enjoyed a piece of that scrumptious cake along with a small scoop of ice cream EVERY day for nearly a week! redface.gifshock.gif

i drank copious amounts of water and exercised plenty and didn't stress (until like the fifth day and thank God the cake was gone)! anyway - my skin didn't suffer any negative consequence.. except for one small spot behind my ear - which is the BEST place in the world for a pimple, eh?

i think another factor working with me was that the cheating all occured the week after my period. this is my favorite week of each month because my hormones seem to be the most normally balanced all on their own, and my skin is always it's clearest.