Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was thinking back to when my acne started getting really bad (cystic), and I think it coincides with when I started drinking coffee (4 years ago).

So I looked it up online, and there's a bit about increased cortisol production leading to acne, but not very much...

anyways, I've been off coffee for about a week now, and I miss it sad.gif . I'm not sure if there's been a change, since I also did a Jessner peel...but I want my coffee back!

Can I drink decaf? Any experience with this? Thanks smile.gif

good for you! congrats on making it a week - hang in there a bit longer if you can. i'm sure you'll find it to be worth it. coffee definitely aggravates my acne. i was a big coffee drinker for years, and quit about 5 months ago. i've had a few relapses here and there. unfortunately each time i relaspe, i notice the consequence in my skin. it's one of the things that cause a very quick reaction for me.

i suffer from cystic acne also - mostly easily triggered by coffee, sugar and dairy.

i would suggest trying to switch to green tea, which has a small amount of caffeine in it also - but doesn't have the effect on your cortisol levels that the organic acids found in coffee does. green tea also stimulates digestion/bowel movements - which helps your body eliminate toxins quickly, which will also assist your skin to remain clearer. good luck!

I'm with Heather. I also was a daily coffee drinker for years. It is tough to give up because it just tastes so good, but I also definitely noticed a change in my skin when I quit drinking it. Decaf isn't the best option because caffeine isn't the only detrimental thing about coffee... it's very acidic and hard on your liver and kidneys. Also, they use some chemicals in the decaffinating process. Best bet is to find a good substitute that you enjoy so you won't miss coffee. I drink herbal or green tea chai, or twig tea when I want something a little more dark and bitter like coffee. I still let myself drink coffee very occassionally, like if I go out to breakfast, but if I drink it 2 days in a row, my skin looks less healthy, more red.

Our derm suggested avoiding caffeine as it has been shown to stimulate the oil glands. And hey, this is the only food, diet link he said is proven.

I'm pretty sure my skin's better since stopping coffee, but hard to tell if that's the main reason since I just did a peel and am on Spiro...either way, I'm staying off for awhile just in case. Besides, now that the caffeine is out of my system it's as good a time as any to stop for good- those first few days were hard!

I'm drinking decaf though- I got organic swiss water-filtered coffee.

Whatever it is, though, my skin is looking better than it has in months.

I'm almost clear and I still drink about 3 cups of coffee a day. I tried giving it but I love it way too much.

I LOVE my Starbuvks iced coffee! Seeing I work full time and then go to classes at night-I feel I can't make it without it,LOL. I am 25 now, had acne since I can remember 12 or 13. Did everything including Accutane. Accutane worked but I couldn't take the side effects (I was 16 at the time)! Went almost bald from it. Wasn't worth it to me.

Long story, anyhoots I have been drinking coffee since I was like 18, so I switched to green tea and LOT of water-What a difference!! Not completely clear-but a big difference! You are right about the decaf-there are more chemicals in decaf, so if you can still sleep at night I would stick to the caffeine. I tried Yogi Green Tea and Tazo Zen or Lotus (decaf) teabags. All very good and not strong like some of the loose teas!

Now since the weather has been getting warmer I have been craving for my iced coffees more and more-So I cheated a few times-this week,LOL. And my face is an absolute mess sad.gif

Now since the weather has been getting warmer I have been craving for my iced coffees more and more-So I cheated a few times-this week,LOL. And my face is an absolute mess sad.gif