Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey all,

Well, it's been a month (give or take) since I finished my 6 month course of Accutane. My reactions are... well, mixed. Sorry if this ends up being lengthy, I just need to vent I guess.

My oil has come back almost entirely, which is really frustrating since I just experienced 6 months of the glory that is "normal" skin while I was taking Tane. Now my skin is oily when I wake up every morning, and after applying makeup I'm greasy within half an hour - just like usual. *sigh*. I'm pretty disappointed about that. So Guardedly Optimistic, don't feel alone!

However, my skin IS clearer still than it was pre-Tane, but I'm not going to lie, it's not perfect by any means. God, I wish it was. But I'm still experiencing a few breakouts here and there, which I'm 100% convinced are based on my hormonal cycle. Since Accutane doesn't deal with the hormonal aspect of acne (to my knowledge, at least), I feel in a way like taking Accutane didn't really treat my problem so much as help minimize the effects slightly... you know? Remember how my derm kept telling me that my progress on Tane was "slower than average" and basically told me it wasn't working properly for me? Well, it probably wasn't. I'm coming to accept this.

Based on evidence, as well as my instinctual perceptions of my own body and health, I'm really starting to understand my skin problems as being hormonal. I'm a very hormonal girl in general; I'm SUPER sensitive, cry easily and frequently, experience very pronounced PMS mood swings, etc. Between the ages of 16 - 20 I was treated for some anxiety and depression problems and I took an anti-depressant for a period of 5 months (which really helped, actually). For the past couple of years, I've been really aware of my skin freaking out during the week before I get my period. It's like clockwork, almost a guarantee I'll get 3-4 new pimples at once, a couple of which are nodular/cystic and very painful. I'm sitting here right now with 3 breakouts, and surprise surprise - it's a week before my period is due. My skin was relatively clear up until this week.

Now I know it's normal for all women to experience this during PMS time, but it's just really frustrating after taking 6 months of Accutane to still be plagued with the exact same problems I had before taking it.

Anyways, this is leading me towards VERY seriously considering changing birth control pills. I've been using Ortho Tri-Cyclen for several years, with no change in my skin either way, but could it be that it's making my skin worse as time goes on? I've never tried Diane-35 (Yasmin, for Americans) but maybe it's time I did. I just read all of the reviews on this site for Yasmin though, and they scared the shit out of me because there were so many negative reviews about the emotional side-effects. The last thing I need is to be more emotional than I already am.

So, I guess that's about where I am now. I'm going to do a little more research in the next day or two about Diane-35, and then make a doctor's appointment if I'm convinced. I'm just reaching for something to help what I believe is my underlying problem - my seemingly extreme hormonal cycle, or my sensitivity to their changes... either way. Maybe I need to stop taking birth control pills all together, and consider a different form of contraception.... again, *sigh*.

As for skin care, I'm still using gentle products (Dove, SpectroJel, Olay), but with my skin back to being oily it's hard to remind myself to stick with them and not scrub my face off with Proactiv or something. In a couple of months when my skin has thickened a bit more, I'm very interested in trying out Neutrogena's At-Home Microdermabrasion kit, which has been getting really good reviews elsewhere. I still have discolouration that isn't improving anymore, and I have shallow scarring on both of my cheeks, which again is frustrating.

Okay, so this ended up being long. I guess I've just been experiencing a little "post-tane depression", haha. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for listening... any comments and/or insight on my whole hormonal/BCP issue would be greatly appreciated.

Love you guys.

Mae

EDIT: I forgot to add, just for interest sake, that all side-effects of Accutane are completely gone for me. My lips went back to normal within 2 weeks... no muscle pain, fatigue, dry skin, etc. It all went away very fast for me.

Hey

I have also been off tane for just over a month and would like to share my experience. I found that in a couple of weeks my body went back to normal...except my acne. My acne is odd, I get the occasional whitehead but nothing ever becomes a full-blown pimple (knock on wood). The whiteheads frustrate me, but it is A LOT better than the past. I am using persagel 10 (benzoyl perox) on the whiteheads and it clears them quickly. My skin however still has a red tint, I hope this goes away or I will NEVER reccomend accutane to anyone. The derm said it could take three months, so fingers crossed. As for the other sides effects, they begin to disappear almost immediately, and now my lips feel so normal, haha.

Just imagine, I enjoyed reading your posts throughout your journey (as it was similar to mine) and I am going to tell you to keep your head up because you are obviously in better shape than you were. I am not sure you should rush so fast into another option so quickly---perhaps explore some topicals (hey, its working for me) Goodluck.

Hi Mae,

I am sorry to hear you are still having problems. sad.gif That sucks about the oil! I know you (and I) were both so ecstatic about the oil being gone.

I had a derm appt. today. I can be done in a month, but want to stay on longer and maybe get up to 2mg/kg. I still breakout hormonally too. It sucks. evil.gif

My Dr. wants me to go on a retinoid immediately after my treatment to keep my skin in good condition, but I don't know what to do. What does your derm say?

Have you thought of trying spiro? Good luck to you, and keep us posted!

Yasmin is great! I went off it for 1 year and switched to Seasonale, b/c I only wanted my period 4x a year. Well, Seasonale fucked up my skin, so I went back on Yasmin 4 months ago, and I see a huge difference already. I don't think there any mental side effects--I'm Bipolar, and I am completely okay on Yasmin. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Hey Mae,

Thanks for posting girly. I'm sorry to hear that you're not completely satisfied. The roller coaster continues for all of us to one extent or the other. I was on Diane for 2 years before doing accutane. I have mixed reactions about it. First of all, it made me uber emotional. I would cry at anything. Anything. I also got some massive migraines and sharp chest pains for which I ended up going to the hospital because I thought I was having a heart attack. I'm not trying to scare you by any means. I'm just giving you my experience. On the other side though, it did work. It kept me clear something that none of the other birthcontrol pills did for me.

I know what you mean about using mild cleansing products. When my oil production started coming back i also wanted to slough my face off with anything grainy i.e. Proactive cleanser. But then I realized that such harsh cleansers might have contributed to all the irritation I experienced, so i'm going to just stick with the mild cleansers for now. I may invest in a home microdermabrasion kit in 5 months. But, I do realize to a certain extent that it is psychological: the need to be feeling that I am physically altering my physical imperfections.

As for the oil production? Heck yes! Mine is back too. I liked having really dry skin, but I also realize that my skin, as it is now, will prevent wrinkles so i'm going to be aging like a fine wine eusa_whistle.gif Not that wine wrinkles. lol.

Haha.

Anyway: Mae, email me anytime. You know we're buddies smile.gif

Take care,

GO

Thank you so much for your kind replies, everyone. I'm feeling a bit better today, though I do have a massive cystic breakout on my cheekbone that is swollen enough it's making my eye look/feel puffy. Argh. I'm trying to just let it take it's course, and hopefully by tomorrow it'll look and feel a bit better. I just thought I wouldn't have to deal with this anymore!! Grr. I'm trying to be strong though. I still went for my run outside this morning, and I'm going to watch Rob & Amber's Wedding tonight with my friend even though I don't feel like being seen right now. Gotta keep my head up, right?

I do want to try Diane/Yasmin, so I'm going to make an appointment with my family doctor for Friday maybe. I think it's doubtful he'll prescribe it for me, since Diane is supposed to be for acne over contraception, and whenever I go to my family doc for anything skin related he sends me directly to my asshole dermatologist (who then takes over a month to get an appointment with). But, no harm in trying I guess.

About the oil, yeah it's true we'll have less wrinkles when we're older I guess smile.gif If my hyperpigmentation would fade some more, I think I'd be a little more tolerant of the oil. The oil combined with the aftermath of acne makes it look like I still have acne in a way, you know?

Anyways I'll keep you all updated with the Diane thing. Thanks!!

Mae

Just told a good friend about my plan to change to Diane-35, and she told me she just read in our local paper recently it was about to be banned. I went searching for evidence and found a similar article:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20050.../health_diane35

So, that doesn't look so good. I'm getting totally freaked out by all of this... I just don't know what to do.

Funny how I practically begged to be on Accutane, but I'm too scared to try Diane-35.

Guest Craigems

Hey girls, Mae sorry to hear that girly, oil n stuff.

I dont know if its coz i'm a guy or anything, but ... maybe your trying too hard? I have come to the conclusion in my past, i was just trying too hard to combat acne... and people who dont bother combating it are the ones with clear skin, its strange.

I have decided 2 showers a day is too much. I am now timing myself also... IF I REALLY HAVE TO HAVE 2 SHOWERS A WEEK... no - more than 5mins max ... and even then i try not to stand under the water, and my GOD ITS HARD IN WINTER! (itzzz sooooo co coo cooold).

I basically dont put anything on my face, cept a bit of moisturisor on my face where it looks really dry and flaky. However i know i'm talking whilst on tane, and not post tane.

I think oil recovery specially after tane is inevitable, the skin wants to produce oils to make the skin soft again, however MY THEORY IS, this will subside in a few months. The skin will realise, its over-producing oil and calm down, but what disrupts this process is too much water on the skin which washes these oils off the skin. This is tying my biological learning into acne.

Anyways I really do hope all u gals that are finished, dont have to go through tane again, and clear skin will come.

Craig

Hey all,

Well, it's been a month (give or take) since I finished my 6 month course of Accutane. My reactions are... well, mixed. Sorry if this ends up being lengthy, I just need to vent I guess.

My oil has come back almost entirely, which is really frustrating since I just experienced 6 months of the glory that is "normal" skin while I was taking Tane. Now my skin is oily when I wake up every morning, and after applying makeup I'm greasy within half an hour - just like usual. *sigh*. I'm pretty disappointed about that. So Guardedly Optimistic, don't feel alone!

However, my skin IS clearer still than it was pre-Tane, but I'm not going to lie, it's not perfect by any means. God, I wish it was. But I'm still experiencing a few breakouts here and there, which I'm 100% convinced are based on my hormonal cycle. Since Accutane doesn't deal with the hormonal aspect of acne (to my knowledge, at least), I feel in a way like taking Accutane didn't really treat my problem so much as help minimize the effects slightly... you know? Remember how my derm kept telling me that my progress on Tane was "slower than average" and basically told me it wasn't working properly for me? Well, it probably wasn't. I'm coming to accept this.

Based on evidence, as well as my instinctual perceptions of my own body and health, I'm really starting to understand my skin problems as being hormonal. I'm a very hormonal girl in general; I'm SUPER sensitive, cry easily and frequently, experience very pronounced PMS mood swings, etc. Between the ages of 16 - 20 I was treated for some anxiety and depression problems and I took an anti-depressant for a period of 5 months (which really helped, actually). For the past couple of years, I've been really aware of my skin freaking out during the week before I get my period. It's like clockwork, almost a guarantee I'll get 3-4 new pimples at once, a couple of which are nodular/cystic and very painful. I'm sitting here right now with 3 breakouts, and surprise surprise - it's a week before my period is due. My skin was relatively clear up until this week.

Now I know it's normal for all women to experience this during PMS time, but it's just really frustrating after taking 6 months of Accutane to still be plagued with the exact same problems I had before taking it.

Anyways, this is leading me towards VERY seriously considering changing birth control pills. I've been using Ortho Tri-Cyclen for several years, with no change in my skin either way, but could it be that it's making my skin worse as time goes on? I've never tried Diane-35 (Yasmin, for Americans) but maybe it's time I did. I just read all of the reviews on this site for Yasmin though, and they scared the shit out of me because there were so many negative reviews about the emotional side-effects. The last thing I need is to be more emotional than I already am.

So, I guess that's about where I am now. I'm going to do a little more research in the next day or two about Diane-35, and then make a doctor's appointment if I'm convinced. I'm just reaching for something to help what I believe is my underlying problem - my seemingly extreme hormonal cycle, or my sensitivity to their changes... either way. Maybe I need to stop taking birth control pills all together, and consider a different form of contraception.... again, *sigh*.

As for skin care, I'm still using gentle products (Dove, SpectroJel, Olay), but with my skin back to being oily it's hard to remind myself to stick with them and not scrub my face off with Proactiv or something. In a couple of months when my skin has thickened a bit more, I'm very interested in trying out Neutrogena's At-Home Microdermabrasion kit, which has been getting really good reviews elsewhere. I still have discolouration that isn't improving anymore, and I have shallow scarring on both of my cheeks, which again is frustrating.

Okay, so this ended up being long. I guess I've just been experiencing a little "post-tane depression", haha.  rolleyes.gif 

Thanks for listening... any comments and/or insight on my whole hormonal/BCP issue would be greatly appreciated.

Love you guys.

Mae

EDIT: I forgot to add, just for interest sake, that all side-effects of Accutane are completely gone for me. My lips went back to normal within 2 weeks... no muscle pain, fatigue, dry skin, etc. It all went away very fast for me.

Hi there,

I'm on spiro now (been 5 weeks) and my oil is pretty much completely gone. This happened all within a week or two! My acne is also hormonal and my derm put me on it rather than accutane b/c of this- he said accutane won't work in the long run. I would check out the spiro threads here- a few people who have been on accutane are getting amazing results from it. Good luck to you.