Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chris_23

my 99.9% clear regimen

The Story:

Awhile ago, I was using a product called Hibitane, which had 4% chlorhexidine gluconate, to get rid of my blackheads. It worked extremely well and I would only ever get a few blackheads. Then one day, when my bottle of Hibititane ran out, I headed to the store only to find out they stopped making it! (This was all before I discovered this site by the way). So after that I decided the blackheads weren't a big deal and I could live with them for awhile. I decided I would just wash my face with soap. But, within a month or two, I started getting acne that I had never had before. I searched on the internet, found this website, and came to the conclusion that I was getting papules and pustules. Immediately I started Dan's regimen. It worked quite well for a couple of months, but I was never 100% clear, which was what I wanted to be more than anything. I decided I would talk to my father about the Hibitane to see if there was anything else like it on the market (as I was sure it would clear me up). He brought me back a product from his office called 'Endure 400' (with 4% chlorhexidine gluconate), made by EcoLab. It is a surgical scrub used before surgery (orange soap you always see doctors using on TV). Immediately I started using it and saw results within as little as a couple days. It basically cleared me to the point where I was when I had the Hibitane. The thing is, I've never really had bad acne so I don't know how effective just the wash would be. So I've made this simple regimen (just a variation of Dan's) that incorporates the Chlorhexidine wash and BP. I've tried it myself and know it works very well, but it might not be necessary to use BP as well as the wash if you have mild acne.

The Regimen

Morning:

1. Rub chlorhexidine on face for about 15 seconds and then wash off.

2. Rub on again, but this time leave it on your face for about 45 seconds to kill of any bacteria. After 45 seconds wash it off and dry your face.

3. Apply small amount of oil-free moisturizer and wait about 5 mins.

4. Apply 2.5% BP using Dan's technique and wait about 15 mins.

5. Apply oil-free moisturizer.

Night:

It isn't necessary to put on the BP at night. I find that its a very icky feeling to put your face on the pillow with moisturizer on. Steps 1-3 are sufficient at night for most people. If you feel you have to apply the BP at night, do a little less than you usually would.

I really hope people give this regimen a shot, and have good luck with it, as it has worked wonders for me. I'll try to find some other brands of chlorhexidine gluconate and test them out to see which works best. Make sure if you're going to buy the chlohexidine, you buy the 4% concentration. There are some brands that sell it as an oral rinse, but the concentration is only about 0.12.

Good luck guys,

Chris

hi Chris-

I visited the EcoLab website and found the Endure 400 product but I'm not able to buy it from them directly. Do you know of any other locations/websites where I could buy it? Thanks

hi Chris-

I visited the EcoLab website and found the Endure 400 product but I'm not able to buy it from them directly. Do you know of any other locations/websites where I could buy it? Thanks

Excellent! Thanks man : ) So basically you've used this with great success- does it cause any irritation or was is gentle? I'm interested in buying the one off drugstore.com. Also, did you experience any eye irritation? Thanks

Excellent! Thanks man : ) So basically you've used this with great success- does it cause any irritation or was is gentle? I'm interested in buying the one off drugstore.com. Also, did you experience any eye irritation? Thanks

I'm thinking of trying this...

Two questions:

1. Why do you put it on 2 times? (15 sec and 45 sec)

2. Does it smell? (seems like it would)

3. Does it sting?

Thanks!

I'm thinking of trying this...

Two questions:

1. Why do you put it on 2 times? (15 sec and 45 sec)

2. Does it smell? (seems like it would)

3. Does it sting?

Thanks!

Some of you might have already seen KeithUrbanLover's post about Provon soap (her post) with chloroxylenol, which is similar to chlorhexidine. You may want to try the chloroxylenol before you try the chlorhexidine, because the chloroxylenol is a little less powerful, and might be good to start off with.

If you have anymore questions or concerns please ask. Just as a note I had used the Hibitane for about 3 years before not being able to get it anymore, and I never had any side effects or anything negative of that nature.

Awsome man. Thanks so much for the information. I'll look into it a bit further. Sure does look promising. If I do decide to try it, I'll let you guys know the results. Thanks again

Awsome man. Thanks so much for the information. I'll look into it a bit further. Sure does look promising. If I do decide to try it, I'll let you guys know the results. Thanks again

I have a question.

If this is an antibacterial soap, isn't there a chance that the acne-causing bacteria will eventually develop a resistance to it? I thought that was the theory behind BP -- that unlike antibacterial products, the acne <i>can't</i> develop a resistance.

I'm not trying to say that it won't work, but I'm just curious what your take (and your father's, if he's a doctor) on this is.

I have a question.

If this is an antibacterial soap, isn't there a chance that the acne-causing bacteria will eventually develop a resistance to it?  I thought that was the theory behind BP -- that unlike antibacterial products, the acne <i>can't</i> develop a resistance.

I'm not trying to say that it won't work, but I'm just curious what your take (and your father's, if he's a doctor) on this is.

OK I looked at the ingrediants of the Hibitane (sp ?) and the first one listed is fragrance which is supposed to be suicide for acne prone skin! What do you think? It's so hard to know where to turn and what will actually work ya know. I'm just at my wits end!

That's a very good question. I'll have to ask my father later but I imagine that that isn't a problem. From what I've read, the chlorhexidine is antimicrobial, and unlike oral antibiotics (which are antimicrobial as well), the chlorhexidine is more effective because it kills all of the bacteria directly at the source, and doesn't slowly build up a reisitance. It also kills the bacteria faster which would make it harder for them to build up resistance. When I have more information I'll be sure to get back to you.

Hey guys- I ordered my bottle of Hibiclens yesterday! Going to give this a shot...I'm basically clear now, but was searching for a gentle anti-bac cleanser I could use regularly instead of the one I have been using (plexion TS cleanser- quite expensive Rx). Hopefully this will work! Thanks so much Chris for the information you keep providing us. It means a lot. Alright, so I should be starting this withing the next couple days. I'll post you guys my results after 1 week of use. Wish me luck! -Brian

Hey guys- I ordered my bottle of Hibiclens yesterday! Going to give this a shot...I'm basically clear now, but was searching for a gentle anti-bac cleanser I could use regularly instead of the one I have been using (plexion TS cleanser- quite expensive Rx). Hopefully this will work! Thanks so much Chris for the information you keep providing us. It means a lot. Alright, so I should be starting this withing the next couple days. I'll post you guys my results after 1 week of use. Wish me luck!          -Brian