Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know this is going to sound irritating, but I never had spots until about 9-12 months ago.

Then last May/June I started getting big red painful lumps on my cheeks in particular that took ages to come to a head. Since last September it's gotten worse and worse, and they come on my chin and forehead along with normal spots that come to a head quickly. I can feel the red lumpy ones (sounds gross I know) under the skin when I push my tongue around the inside of my cheeks. I even had really big ones behind my earlobes once that took about 3 months to finally go. When they come to a head they usually expel whatever is in them themselves, and I try not to pick. The stuff that comes out is a lot of liquid, sticky and a yellow colour. Its sounds so disgusting so am sorry - but wanted to know if other people have the same symptoms.

I'm 23 and don't understand why it's started now? Does anyone know the 'science' behind this (I mean why does acne suddenly start in someone who's never really had it seriosuly?) - my diet is the same as its always been - veggies, fruit etc, occasional biscuits/chocolate, so don't think its from my diet.

Thanks.

p.s am seeing a dermatologist for the first time next month.

Are you male or female?

Nobody really knows why people suffer from acne. Obv. lots of teenage acne is caused by hormones going a bit tits, and for a lot of people on this site, it will clear up for them as they get older.

Other than that, there can be hormonal issues involved if your female (I can tell you more about this if you are), or the only other thing that the medical profession attributes adult acne to, is stress.

I had a friend (who was also 23 at the time) who had the most clearest of skin always. She had been with her older boyfriend for about six yrs and they lived together, when she found out he had been having an affair at work for six mnths with an older woman, she broke out in spots all over her face, chest and back.

She moved out into her own flat and money was tight but she got on with her life and started to see other men, but her skin continued the same way, maybe for a year. She also dropped out of college, as money was too tight so she needed to work full-time. She was proscribed zynerette by the DR. and used Neutrogena products, including foundation. I dont see her anymore as she lives in another town now, but last time I saw her she was happy with a new bloke and her skin was perfect.

I do feel for you, cos it can really dent your confidence, but hopefully if youve never suffered from this before then maybe it will be just as above and your skin will clear up, as it may just be from stress. Im sure the dermatologist will be able to help you out- x

Are you male or female?

Nobody really knows why people suffer from acne. Obv. lots of teenage acne is caused by hormones going a bit tits, and for a lot of people on this site, it will clear up for them as they get older.

Other than that, there can be hormonal issues involved if your female (I can tell you more about this if you are), or the only other thing that the medical profession attributes adult acne to, is stress.

I had a friend (who was also 23 at the time) who had the most clearest of skin always. She had been with her older boyfriend for about six yrs and they lived together, when she found out he had been having an affair at work for six mnths with an older woman, she broke out in spots all over her face, chest and back.

She moved out into her own flat and money was tight but she got on with her life and started to see other men, but her skin continued the same way, maybe for a year. She also dropped out of college, as money was too tight so she needed to work full-time. She was proscribed zynerette by the DR. and used Neutrogena products, including foundation. I dont see her anymore as she lives in another town now, but last time I saw her she was happy with a new bloke and her skin was perfect.

I do feel for you, cos it can really dent your confidence, but hopefully if youve never suffered from this before then maybe it will be just as above and your skin will clear up, as it may just be from stress. Im sure the dermatologist will be able to help you out- x