Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ales05

Spiro and BC pills......advice needed!!!!

Hi girls,

I am 27 and have suffered from Acne for a long time now, since the age of about 12.

Recently i have taken antibiotics which did help, (doxycyline) for about a year, i then came off those and have been taking Spiro for about 3-4 months and it has helped a lot and im really happy! My skin is drier (use to be very oily) and i hardly get any spots ( a few smaller ones occasionally).

The thing is, im thinking of going on BCP for contraceptive reasons, but im worried about how this cd affect my acne as ive heard and read that sometimes it can make acne worse!! I really don't want my skin to get worse again after I have been trying for sooo long to get better!!! shock.gif

Have any of you taken spiro and BCP pills together? Which BCP were you happy with??? Please any advice you have would be great!!! smile.gif

Hi there,

Most doctors recommend taking BCP with spiro actually because it messes up your period. If you are on spiro, you would probably want another anti-androgen like Yasmin or Diane 35. I am on Yasmin right now (only for about a month and a half) and I like it- no major breakouts whatsoever. I was on Diane for about 6 months though and it caused me to break out (possibly b/c my acne is hormonal and wasn't on the spiro then) and gain lots of weight. Yasmin is a minor dieuretic so so far, there has been no weight gain. HOpe this helps! good luck.

Hi there,

Most doctors recommend taking BCP with spiro actually because it messes up your period. If you are on spiro, you would probably want another anti-androgen like Yasmin or Diane 35. I am on Yasmin right now (only for about a month and a half) and I like it- no major breakouts whatsoever.  I was on Diane for about 6 months though and it caused me to break out (possibly b/c my acne is hormonal and wasn't on the spiro then) and gain lots of weight. Yasmin is a minor dieuretic so so far, there has been no weight gain. HOpe this helps! good luck.

I phoned my derm to ask about taking the pill and she said i should stop taking spiro and go on either yasmin or dianette. Only thing is ....im scared of going off Spiro.......what if my acne comes back??? Does anyone have any experience with this????

I phoned my derm to ask about taking the pill and she said i should stop taking spiro and go on either yasmin or dianette. Only thing is ....im scared of going off Spiro.......what if my acne comes back??? Does anyone have any experience with this????

Thanks for your replies. Unfortunatley i didnt get a chance to talk to my derm directly as she doesnt take phone calls....so i had to leave a message with her secretary who then phoned me back to tell what she had said!!

I have a gyno appointment on friday....actually its my first one! confused.gifredface.gif so i am going to ask the gyno about taking Yasmin or Dianette and about spiro.

I just hope she says maybe that i can stay on sprio, maybe reducing my intake, while taking yasmin or Dianette....I really dont want my spots to come back...or my oily skin!! cry.gif

Its such a hassle to have to go on the pill..........but i guess i have to if i want to have sex!!! (condoms are too unreliable!)

Anyway if any more of you have had any experience with taking BCP instead of Spiro...etc would really appreciate your advice!! Thanks biggrin.gif