Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm not doing the regimen or anything, i just wash my face twice a day with cold water, does anyone else do this,? i wash my face with just water as i found every single time i start using a soap bar my skin is very dry straight after washing with it, also i think my skin actually looks better after washing with just water for sometime, but i'm worried that i could still be getting spots and having a very greasy face still because i'm not washing my face good enough, whats your thoughts on this.?

P.s, i'd also like to know if anyone knows the answer to why when i use a soap bar my skins instantly flaky soon after i dry my face, but when i use just water my skin never gets flaky. eusa_doh.gif but i don't wanna carry this on as i'm not sure if my face is getting clean properly with just water. eusa_think.gif

It's dry because you're washing it, same thing happens to me, if you go out in public need to use face lotion. About not washing your face hard enough making it produce oil. Nothing you can do with water to stop oil produce, I too have oilly skin, when I go out into public for long hours of time, sometimes I head to a bathroom and wipe off my nose with a paper towel.

Are you doing the cleanse, Bp, lotion steps? Do you have Acne or just dry skin problems?

Guest Amy Lee

I had tried washing with only water and water alone, I felt it didn't do good on my acne and my skin in general. It can't wash out everything from the skin, I needed to use soap. Also my wounds and cuts heal with soap and water, they won't heal with just water.

I have acne, but i'm not using bp or anything as it's not really a case of spots with me much now, i get the odd one here and there, it's just this dry skin, it's really weird, when i wash with a soap bar straight after i get dry skin, but if i wash with just water, i don't get dry skin straight after, but i feel just water is not cleaning my face 100%. eusa_wall.gif

I hate to sound arrogant but I CANNOT believe how many people here still use soap on their faces; it is one of the most fundamental mistakes you can make if you have acne and the easiest acne-trigger to stop, and yet seemingly everyone does it. If you don't believe what a huge difference this makes to your skin, simply STOP and look at your face in 2 weeks to see the inevitable improvement. The notion to use soap on your face if you have acne is a relic of the idea that acne is caused by poor hygiene; in actuality it only serves to overdry your skin (washing dries your skin out as it is) as well as disrupting your skin's acid mantle (skin pH 4.5-6.5 vs soap pH approx 8, even pH-neutral Dove is 7); this triggers breakouts in those who are acne prone.

If you look at the regimens people here proudly detail in their "sigs", it's a miracle some people still have skin on their faces! With the arguable exception of BP for those with significant active acne and AHAs/BHAs cleansers and exfoliants for those with significant keratinization issues, by and large everyone would benefit from SIMPLIFYING their program. Take my word for it: just use water and, if you insist on using anything else, use AS GENTLE A CLEANSER AS POSSIBLE.

One of the first steps I made to piecing together my acne program (see below) was years ago, when I first discovered that the most non-inflammatory and soothing products, while still non-comedogenic, are Nivea products designed for BABIES. Yes you read me right, BABIES. These products are ridiculously sensitive because babies' skin is ridiculously sensitive. And this is just what acne-sufferers need; this stuff doesn't block pores helps your skin from outside while supplements, diet and liver flushing help clear you from inside. Frankly, if you don't have an effective topical/cleansing regimen yet and if you can't bother to take a natural approach like the one linked below, despite being as deadly effective for acne as it is, then you should either take Accutane or anti-androgens or NOTHING'S really going to sort you out. Your choice.

9 of 10 people around here would improve (though by no means at all clear entirely) if they just replaced whatever else it is they're doing with a gentle, gentle cleanser and followed their once-/twice-daily shower with a gentle, gentle moisturizer. Even better would be to do the whole cleansing section of my program linked below, but at least start with being kind to your skin for once!

I used just water on my face for about 2 months i think, but i still got breakouts and i still got nasty spots, plus i still got very oily skin, i think i did see an improvement in the look of my skin though, but i'm not that sure, it might be just me thinking it looks better, anyways ive started using soap again now and when i did use soap last night for the first time in like 2 months my face actually felt (clean) after washing it, and i think the just water idea might be some cause of the spots i was still getting, the reason why i actuaqlly stopped using soap was because it made my skin dry and flaky, but when i used just water it never, but again this could be just me, it might be that i just got flaky skin as i was using soap so i blamed it on that, its been my second time using soap now and my skin still remains the same, not dry or flaky, well i get a bit after drying my face but i think some of the bits i have on my face comes from the towel half the time, so i'm gonna stick with soap, as for the first time washing my face i felt clean, and i never feel that with just water. razz.gif

Well looks like i'm back on water again, ive just looked in the mirror and my skin is well flaky again, could anyone explain why when i use just water to wash with, i have perfect flake free skin, when i use a soap bar, i get flaky skin.? mad.gif

How many times a day r u washing ur face ? and what kind of soap r u using ?

I just noticed that Im having the same problem. I started using "Basis Sensitive skin Bar soap" 3 days ago,n my skin got very Dry and flaky .

I think that u should wash ur face once a day if u feel u need to clean ur skin , however u should consider using a very gentle cleanser .

Maybe a water soluble cleanser (soap substitutes, non irritating,non greasy , unscented, and able to remove some excess)

My Derm recommended Aquanil or Cetaphil gentle skin cleanser

Hope this helps!!

Good Luck

I wash twice a day, its just the matter of when i use a soap doesn't matter which one it is, or a liquid cleanser my skin flakes up soon after, but if i use water, just water my skin is fine, i dont get flakes, what should i do.? sad.gif

Well looks like i'm back on water again, ive just looked in the mirror and my skin is well flaky again, could anyone explain why when i use just water to wash with, i have perfect flake free skin, when i use a soap bar, i get flaky skin.?  mad.gif

Will give it a try, but i think as soon as soap makes contact with my face and it's on going i just become flaky, but i will try what you have just mentioned and see if i still get flaky or not, i would just use water as my skin looks very good when i do and i get no flakes at all but i'm not sure if its good enough to clean my face correctly. i'll let you know how i get on. eusa_pray.gif

Will give it a try, but i think as soon as soap makes contact with my face and it's on going i just become flaky, but i will try what you have just mentioned and see if i still get flaky or not, i would just use water as my skin looks very good when i do and i get no flakes at all but i'm not sure if its good enough to clean my face correctly. i'll let you know how i get on.  eusa_pray.gif

I did a search on "Aquanil" and "Cetaphil". I would recommend these, also.

Aquanil Cleanser

http://www.drugstore.com/

A Gentle, Soapless Lipid-Free Cleanser. Aquanil has been developed by Person & Covey Dermatologicals specifically for physicians and their patients. Aquanil is a product that dermatologists recommend with confidence and patients use with pleasure.

Cetaphil

http://www.cetaphil.com/

Cetaphil® Gentle Skin Cleanser is great for daily makeup removal or as part of a skin care regimen to treat the dryness caused by topical medications used in the treatment of acne, fine lines and wrinkles. Originally formulated for dermatologists, it is gentle on your skin and sensitive to your skin’s needs. Cetaphil® Gentle Skin Cleanser will not strip the skin of natural protective oils or emollients, or disturb the skin’s natural pH balance. It is fragrance-free and non-comedogenic, making it an excellent choice for daily facial cleansing.

-

For face, I've always used a lotion / astringent that kills bacteria. I get the flaky too, if I were use a regular body wash – most do. You should never use body wash or soap on the face, because it removes ALL oils on the skin and some are natural and essential.

I would use a face soap wash but i really don't want the flaky skin, today after washing with my soap again my skin has never felt so dry, and flaky, when i was washing with water my face looked healthy looking and was flake free, i really don't know what to do here but i think i'm gonna go back to just water for now. eusa_doh.gif

I use the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, which doesn't dry me out at all? I find most soaps are too harsh. The Cetaphil doesn't feel like a soap (in fact, some people complain that it feels like washing with just water). You might try that, if you haven't already.