Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I went to a tanning salon today because summer is coming and it helps my acne (I don't give a shit what anyone says IT DOES) and hides my red marks.

None of my friends know that I tan artificially, they all think that I just catch the sun very easily, I was having a conversation with them about tanning and stuff a few weeks back and they all seemed to agree that tanning on a sun bed is for women and "fags" only (my friends are very homophobic).

Also, I was at the tanning salon today and there was a girl in the waiting area, she gave me a bizzare look as if to say "wtf, your a guy, what are you doing here?"

or maybe it was just me being paranoid after what my friends said.

Anyway, this has got me thinking: Does society in general believe that guys who use sun beds are homosexual?

What do the guys on these boards think about other guys who tan on sunbeds?

More importantly.....

what do the girls think?

BTW

I have nothing against gay men, I just don't want to pass myself off as one.

And if the health nazi's could spare me the rhetoric it would be much appreciated.

Thanks! biggrin.gif

There are lots of guys that tan. Personally I don't tan, and it's not because I think it's for homosexuals. I wouldnt' mind being a bit more tan. I don't tan because 1. it'll prolong redmarks, 2. Because I obsess about my looks enough as it is, I Think if I tan i'll just be adding more fuel to the fire, 3. It's kinda pricy and inconvenient for me.

There are lots of guys that tan.  Personally I don't tan, and it's not because I think it's for homosexuals.  I wouldnt' mind being a bit more tan.  I don't tan because 1.  it'll prolong redmarks, 2. Because I obsess about my looks enough as it is, I Think if I tan i'll just be adding more fuel to the fire, 3. It's kinda pricy and inconvenient for me.

I was tan for a while last summer. I was really dark, it covered every redmark, and I had 0 zits, it was like I was perfectly clear. Haven't felt like that in 8 years or so.

In your pics you look so clear though.

I find the drawback with tanning to treat acne is that it always comes back once you stop tanning.

I can't stay tan forever, thats just asking for trouble.

Atleast I can enjoy my summer though, its my favourite time of year.

as long as you dont talk with a lisp, then you shouldnt worry about people thinking your a fag.

the tanning place i went to had tons of hot chicks. Once I seen that , I couldnt stay away.

I think that it does help my son with his redmarks and he just looks better with a tan. We live in the south where it is already sunny and he already has a tan. One thing you want to do is not get so tanned on your face that your skin becomes thicker. That makes it harder to exfoliate and may cause clogs. Just do it little by little and I think you'll be fine.

Hey, those bodybuilders, etc.... always have tans. Arnold has a fake tan too. Don't worry about it. I personally don't like artificial tanning and think too much sun for anyone is dangerous, BUT in moderation and if you look better and feel better about yourself - go for it.

Im all for the tan, but I think that getting one by tanning in a bed is cheating. Getting one from being outside is more natural. I dunno. Im weird about nature vs. sceince sometimes. I think using a bed doesn't make you a fag, just a goober.

Im all for the tan, but I think that getting one by tanning in a bed is cheating.  Getting one from being outside is more natural.  I dunno.  Im weird about nature vs. sceince sometimes.  I think using a bed doesn't make you a fag, just a goober.

i dont know any guys who dont go to tanning salons...where i live almost everyone does it regularly.

the only ones that dont are the ones with very pale skin because they dont get color

Yeah man, go for it. I'm 19 male, not gay at all, and use tanning beds during the summer months. It really does help my breakouts. All the times where I'm 100% clear are when Im in the sun (or just tan in general) for a few weeks. Its awsome. Just be sure not to burn yourself and irritate the skin. You should be fine. good luck to ya.

It depends on where you are. Like you Midnight Resistance I'm in the fairly homophobic culture of Ireland where you wouldn't admit to your mates down the pub that you just went to the "tanning salon" earlier today. A guy who fake-bakes (or even applies fake tan from a bottle or wipes) would be regarded as gay by other guys, and would be given a "question mark" by girls. It's unfair though I know because while you can get away with being pale as a girl it seems like it's manlier if you have darker skin as a guy. I am GHOSTLY WHITE it's my natural pigmentation and there's nothing I can do about it (Irish mother, Czech father), I only tan somewhat (after either burning or risking burning every time I'm in the sun) after maybe 30mins/day controlled sun exposure (or else I burn) over like 1-2 months.

So for a guy like me to have that "healthy glow" that most people take for granted after a day or two in the sun, I would NEED to fake tan. But I've never done it. If I DID do it, I wouldn't tell any of my guy (or even girl) friends about it, because I know how judgmental they would be around here. It's more culturally acceptable in a place like Denmark for BelowZero because they get so little sun everyone would do it; likewise in the US or Canada they have such a metrosexual thing going on there that the word is rather redundant, whereas an average North American guy would probably be regarded with homophobic suspicion in a lot of places here in Ireland and the UK.