Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hey i have acne and am 18. i am going to college in spetember 2005, about four hrs from home. my acne is moderate right now and i use abp wash. i was wondering about acne at college and if it gets worse and increases in intensity. people who have gone to college, what have you noticed about your acne???????????

thanks

I was on the regimen starting June before college (last summer). As soon as I started school my face got soooo bad. I posted about it too. I got comments saying I probably changed the regimen (i didnt), or from humidity since my dorm isnt Air conditioned. But also the stress of school can cause acne.

So for the past 9 months Ive been battling my acne again trying new products and topical cleansers and BP. Just now is my acne somewhat getting better (now that Im out of school for the summer). So we'll see how my acne clears up the rest of summer and then is effected once I start back in the fall.

When I went to university, my skin did become worse. I mainly attribute it to a poorer diet and, of course, stress.

Recommendations:

1. Keep a well balanced diet at all costs, avoiding the tempting junk foods. If meals are prepared by your dorm, choose a wide variety of healthy selections, especially fresh fruits and vegetables.

2. Take time out to destress several times each day, if necessary. Some recommend meditation to clear way the day's stresses. Going to a gym also helps a great deal (but immediately clean your skin of oils and perspiration after working out).

Good luck in your pursuits.

My face blew up one month into college. Went from having 1-2 active acne with otherwise baby-smooth skin, to 8-10 active acne, blackheads, whiteheads, oily skin, redmarks and scars.

It may have just been a hormonal coincidence, but that's what happened to me when I shipped off.

ahhh....im stuck with acne that gets worse for 4 more years.........................

My acne worsened in undergrad, and worsened more in grad school. I looked awful. I was very stressed out, working hard, having to attend early classes, doing so much more running around, it was just too much wear and tear. I just couldn't get the rest I needed and though I had acne since I was twelve, my uni time aggravated my acne no end. That's what happens when I'm rundown. My acne became worse over time after uni, also. But I also didn't have access to this site, and didn't realize I had what I needed to improve my skin. I only followed the instructions on the packages, which are woefully inadequate. I wish there had been the Regimen when I was teen; I am sure I could have led a happier life at uni and avoided idiotic comments from people with clear skin. My insecurity led me to see a derm for the first time, and to ingest antibiotics, which only wore me down more, and prevented me from eating dairy food. I was tired all the time on these pills. Today, I would do things so differently. eusa_doh.gif

Going to college can worsen your acne for a number of reasons: stress, wonky schedules, bad eating habits, etc. It's not necessarily that college magically makes your acne get worse, but that many people's lifestyles decline once they leave the nest, so to speak.

The main way you can combat your acne in college? Try to keep a healthy lifestyle. Eat right, get plenty of sleep. Change your sheets regularly (this is harder than it sounds, if you're living in dorms, and can have a big impact on your acne). Make sure you establish a regimen for skincare that works with your schedule (if you find it's too hard to do anything before your classes, then just wash your face in the mornings and do your regimen at night). Find ways to combat stress -- meditate, read a book, watch TV, go to a party, anything to keep yourself from becoming wound too tight. When you're stressed, your body is less able to fight off infection (and therefore, acne). Exercise. I find that when I'm exercising regularly, I have fewer breakouts.

Healthy lifestyle = happy(er) skin. smile.gif

Going to college can worsen your acne for a number of reasons: stress, wonky schedules, bad eating habits, etc.  It's not necessarily that college magically makes your acne get worse, but that many people's lifestyles decline once they leave the nest, so to speak.

The main way you can combat your acne in college?  Try to keep a healthy lifestyle.  Eat right, get plenty of sleep.  Change your sheets regularly (this is harder than it sounds, if you're living in dorms, and can have a big impact on your acne).  Make sure you establish a regimen for skincare that works with your schedule (if you find it's too hard to do anything before your classes, then just wash your face in the mornings and do your regimen at night).  Find ways to combat stress -- meditate, read a book, watch TV, go to a party, anything to keep yourself from becoming wound too tight.  When you're stressed, your body is less able to fight off infection (and therefore, acne).  Exercise.  I find that when I'm exercising regularly, I have fewer breakouts.

Healthy lifestyle = happy(er) skin. smile.gif

For me, university did make acne worse, but I'm pretty sure it was related to:

1.) Crappy dorm food with little nutritional value and too much salt/refined carbs/fat

2.) Introduction of alcohol into diet

3.) Stress -- I went to school abroad

4.) Using LUSH products on face (cocoabutter moisturizers don't agree with me, and I need my SA and the like to make skin reasonably normal).

5.) Unusual sleeping habits (also stress)

6.) Illness -- I was almost always sick and seemed to have either yeast infections or tonsillitis for the whole of my freshman year, and sickness always makes my skin worse.

I think if you are at this forum now, you'll have plenty of good ideas to choose from, which puts you one huge step head of me, and if you watch what you eat and drink and try to stay healthy and not too stressed (hard, I know) and generally take good care of yourself, you'll be off to a good start.

That said, by soph year I was getting better, so I think the combo of age and knowledge has helped.

thanks, my siters went away after uni. her face is alot better and clear...hopefully same 4 me

After reading over these posts, I am saddened to know that my 17 yr old who will be a high school senior next yr. may be dealing with this condition when he goes away to college. It makes letting him go that much harder. I know it is what he needs to do and we have all planned on it since he was little. So sad that he will be on his own and afraid of how it will affect him. I hate that he has to struggle with this monster when life is freakin hard enough.

I am down today, both my boys are having a flare up. My youngest 14, has a new, large cyst that has developed after having 2 that just went away suddenly. We thought it might be attributed to a grapefruit lime cocktail he was drinking.

Just when we get our hopes up, it all comes F.....ing crashing down. sad.gif

Sorry, don't mean to be a downer. Feels like crap