Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted

I wonder why you don't consider red marks scars, because a scar is a mark left on the skin after a cut. It does not have to be an indentation.

Posted

red marks can be scars but usually aren't. a scar is permanent. hyperpigmentation usually is not. rarely, there is permanent hyperpigmentation, but usually, red marks go away with time, even if it may take a year or two. indentations are scars because they are permanent; they do not plump up on their own over time. cuts cause scars, but it's not the red mark that's the scar; it's the line where the cut was. (i have a long scar in my finger that I accidently almost diced off with a knife.)

so again: scars are more or less permanent (unless you try to treat it, as we are all trying to do here). red marks are not. try a dictionary if you don't know the meaning of words.

Posted

I agree with jack.

Posted

Red marks are post traumatic hyperpigmentation they may or may not fade over time depends how serious the injury is. Red marks from acne lesions will fade over time but red marks from surgery or an accident may not due to the seriousness of the injury.

Posted

I don't think you can say scars are neccesarily permanent. Some are and some arent. I bruised my knees alot when I was younger and had scabs playing outdoors and I had some scars but there gone now. Were they not scars then? They were.

Posted

when ive heard people refer to scars, not in the acne sense, it always is the mark where a wound has already healed. there is dead tissue there, meaning that though the color can fade to almost skin tone, that piece of skin is dead and cannot be fixed.

Posted

I don't consider red marks scars because they can be covered easily whereas the texture of your skin cannot be covered -- it's still there. Just my opinion. It's annoying to me when people post a thread saying: "I got rid of my scars!!!" only to find out they are talking about red marks or hyperpigmentation.

Posted
I don't consider red marks scars because they can be covered easily whereas the texture of your skin cannot be covered -- it's still there. Just my opinion. It's annoying to me when people post a thread saying: "I got rid of my scars!!!" only to find out they are talking about red marks or hyperpigmentation.

Red Marks go away. That takes away the whole definition of a scar. Scars are there forever. I got bit by a damn dog on my nose when i was 6. Im 17 now and its still there. Can barely see it but under some lightings you can.

Posted

I once read , but not sure where, a doctor said a red mark that is still around after a year can be classified as a scar. Though I can relate to what Oursfan said about the "I Got Rid of My Scars!!!" posts.

Posted

mmm :-k .... interesting stuff. I have a real mixture of stuff on my face! Indented scars, red marks, brown marks, purple marks... really colourful and ALL from acne! Anyway, I have had acne marks that have been there for YEARS, not just 1 or 2 years either, I am talking over 6 yrs! In the same way I have dark MARKS on my hands from burns when I worked in a kitchen 9-10 years ago. I would call these scars, though there was never any cut or indentation. Of-course, they may still fade in the next 10 years :D but up till now they seem to be pretty permanent & have not faded but remained after tans have come and gone. I also call the little indents from acne on my face scars. They are also permanent (unless I do some drastic treatment).

In all honesty, and I am almost 30, I have tried sooo many concealers and foundations yet I find it easier to cover up/over the indents/scars that are my natural skin colour, than to cover up the red marks and brown marks on my skin. Whether they are going to fade in years to come or not, it's those marks that show more on my skin and cause me the most distress if I allow myself to get depressed over it.

Whilst I understand the frustration (as it can be mis-leading) of some when people write in with 'quick cures' for scarring when they really are talking about red marks, which may or may not fade... the fact is those red marks for that person can be just as upsetting as those indented scars are for others. Let's not dispute over what's worse (I am not saying anyone here has done that, but I HAVE read it somewhere on this board), they are all awful to suffer from and all result from that same old disease- acne.