Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cindy

What does everyone eat with their accutane???

I take my pill at breakfast time, but I feel like I don't eat enough fat for it to work its best. Is two slices of wheat toast or a bowl of cereal with skim milk enough to make it work??? Or should I be eating eggs and bacon?? My derm just said to take it with any food, but others have said that it works best if you have a little cholesterol circulating in your system.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!!!

I take my pill at breakfast time, but I feel like I don't eat enough fat for it to work its best. Is two slices of wheat toast or a bowl of cereal with skim milk enough to make it work??? Or should I be eating eggs and bacon?? My derm just said to take it with any food, but others have said that it works best if you have a little cholesterol circulating in your system.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!!!

The guide says that u should take Accutane with any food, untill your prescriber tells u otherwise. Swallow your Accutane capsules with a full glass of liquid. This will help prevent the medication inside the capsule from irritating the lining of your esophagus (connection between mouth and stomach). For the same reason, do not chew or suck on the capsule.

Do not take vitamin A supplements.(eggs are rich in vitamin A) Taking both (Accutane and foods rich in vitamin A) may increase your chance of getting side effects.

The drug is fat soluble so ideally you should be taking it with a "fatty" meal.

Kind of contradictory, given accutane's ability to increase cholestrol levels, I know.

The bioavilability of Accutane is greatly increased when taken with a high fat meal. This info is available in the pdf on Roche's site. Perhaps you could switch to whole milk and add some peanut butter to your toast?

Hmmm....okay. I'll try that. I just don't usually eat that much for breakfast because I don't usually have an appetite that early. But I'll see what I can do......THANKS

10 weeks into my "tane train" and I am doing great. Very clear and no oil and happy about it.

Being a bodybuilder, I have almost NEVER eaten fatty foods when taking it. I just make sure I eat it with a meal and drink a glass of water with it. I is working great. So, I do not belive that you will benefit from loading up on fatty foods.

I am seeing great results. I have had a few breakouts, but that is generally normal.

Tane increases cholesterol anyway. Therefore, it can be potentially dangerous to eat crap during your course.

Eat it with healthy fats like some olive oil, or avocado if you're wanting better absorption. However, the fat/no fat absorption isn't that much anyway. As far as I remember, it was 30% absorbed with no fat vs. 38% absorbed with fat or something like that.

Eat it with healthy fats like some olive oil, or avocado if you're wanting better absorption. However, the fat/no fat absorption isn't that much anyway. As far as I remember, it was 30% absorbed with no fat vs. 38% absorbed with fat or something like that.

All this proves is that it is better to take it with food. It compares taking it while fasting versus taking it with food. Everyone already agrees that it is more effective when taken with food. I would have liked to see a third catagory showing taking it with a standard, well-balanced meal.

This lack of change in half-life suggests that food increases the bioavailability of isotretinoin without altering its disposition. The time to peak concentration (Tmax) was also increased with food and may be related to a longer absorption phase. Therefore, Accutane capsules should always be taken with food

Look at the last sentence. It is concluding that it is better to take Accutane with food. It's ultimate conclusion does not say to take it with fatty foods or anything like that....just to take it with food.

Sure, and look at the first sentence. "Due to its high lipophilicity, oral absorption of isotretinoin is enhanced when given with a high-fat meal. "

Lipids = fats. Low fat meals = low amounts of lipids.

The study specifically measured responses when taken fasted, and with a "standardized high fat meal", therefore one can't really come to a conclusion about absoption with a low fat meal, but considering the lipophilicity of Accutane, it is safe to assume that absorption is better with a high fat meal than a low fat meal. Without experimental data it is impossible to confirm or deny, but we do know for sure that a high fat meal increases aborption. Everyone needs some "good" fats in your diet anyway, so take your Accutane when you eat those fats if you want to replicate the benefit shown in the study. If you don't care, or don't think doubling your exposure to Accutane is worth the fat, then by all means do whatever you like. razz.gif

Not trying to argue. But in all honesty, the study does not prove that fatty foods will increase absorbsion over non-fatty foods. It just compares fasting as opposed to eating (in this study a fatty meal).

Before I would agree, I would need to see some scientific proof to substantiate the fact that high-fat foods will further aid absorbsion compared to mod to low fat foods.

I have heard this from some on this board, but never seen it backed up.

However, I do agree that taking tane on an empty stomach will really decrease absorbsion.

I am thinking that taking a teaspoon of olive oil may be a really good to take it with. This along with a healthy meal as well. It is a healthy fat and, therefore, may work well in regards to health concerns and absorbsion.

What do you think?

So....my breakfast, in terms of food eaten and guestimated fat grams

2 pieces of toast with peanut butter (15 grams of fat?)

4 chocolate glazed donut hole (11 grams of fat)......(yummy!!!)

protein shake (5 grams of fat)

Hopefully that was enough? It sure was good!

I am thinking that taking a teaspoon of olive oil may be a really good to take it with. This along with a healthy meal as well. It is a healthy fat and, therefore, may work well in regards to health concerns and absorbsion.

Oh, come on!!!! Don't get on my back for 4 little donut holes!!!! You have to understand that my house is like the fat-free zone, because my mom is on weight watchers, so finding something that is technically "bad" for you is nearly impossible. The only fattening things we have are hot dogs and peanut butter. Believe me, it's NOT fun having to eat apple after apple only to still be hungry.

I take one pil in the morning with either a bowl of cereal with 1% milk. Or two peanutbutter toasts. Then I take my other two with my supper. If I forget to take them at supper, I do that same thing as I do in the morning except as a night time snack.

My triglycerides were high before I even went on the accutane. And they have stayed steady. They doc told me to watch what I eat cause if they go up more, he will have to take me off accutane.

I think the accutane has been working fine for me. Even though I am not having a 3 course meal for breakfast......lol

I wanted clear skin when I went on accutane, not to gain 20lbs....

Oh, come on!!!! Don't get on my back for 4 little donut holes!!!! You have to understand that my house is like the fat-free zone, because my mom is on weight watchers, so finding something that is technically "bad" for you is nearly impossible. The only fattening things we have are hot dogs and peanut butter. Believe me, it's NOT fun having to eat apple after apple only to still be hungry.

The good fats might be in diet already who knows. But to tell you the truth, I have never been one to watch what I eat, or pay any attention to the values of the food I eat.

I have 3 kids, and to tell you the truth, I don't really have any time to start paying attention right now...lol

I also quit smoking 2 years ago, and I gained like crazy since then. Well I am still not a big person, but I gained none the less. Any way. I cut out pop, chocolate, chips, and most sugars. I have lost like 7-10 lbs just from doing that at the beginning of my accutane course. I don't exercise really. But if you count running after 3 small children in a 3 story house, that's exercise enough....lol

But really, you don't think two toast or a bowl of cereal is enough in the AM with my tane?

Toast with peanut butter is better than dry toast i'd imagine, as far as Accutane absorption goes. As i said, without a study that targets the ideal dose/fat ratio, it's impossible to be sure how much better, or at what point extra fat in the meal is excess and doesn't futher aid absorption.

You want to concentrate on monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, especially if you already have a cholesterol problem, as these lower "bad" cholesterol levels and raise "good" cholesterol levels. Monounsaturated fats are found in olives, olive oil, canola oil, peanut oil, cashews, almonds, peanuts, and most other nuts, and avocados. Polyunsaturated fats are found in fatty fish like salmon, and in flax, corn, soybean, safflower, and cottonseed oils. You need these fats in your diet to stay healthy.

Saturated fats should be minimized, they raise both types of cholesterol, these are the fats in whole milk, butter, cheese, and ice cream, red meat, chocolate, coconuts, coconut milk, and coconut oil.

Transfats should be not be eaten at all (although obviously easier said than done!) as they raise bad cholesterol but not good cholesterol. These are the found in most margarines, vegetable shortening, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil - that partially hydrogenated vegetable oil is what makes fast food, chips, and most baked goods so bad for you. They are completely artificial and your body does not have enzymes that can break them down.

For more info on this subject, consult http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html

My Accutane worked when i took it on an empty stomach, but maybe they wouldn't have had to keep increasing my dose if i was absorbing the maximum amount of the dose i was already taking by taking it with fats.