Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
M1DN1GHT R3515TANC3

My simple experiment

I have succesfully controlled my acne in the past with healthy diet and lifestyle but gradually I let myself drift back into the junk food trap. I have started eating properly again but I can't get rid of my acne this time, I'm obviously missing something.

My plan:

As of tomorrow I'm going to eat nothing but apples and drink nothing but water for five days and see if my skin improves, then I will gradually introduce more foods into my diet one at a time over a period of weeks (as suggested by somebody on these boards) in an effort to find out exactly what breaks me out and which foods are "safe".

I will also continue my B5 regimen, for the duration of this experiment

Opinions, thaughts, ideas and general input input on this would be much apreciated!

GOOD IDEA! It will be interesting to see what happends.

I suggest that u add a couple of enemas of salt water flushes aswell though.

Good luck,

Tom

The thaught of an enema makes me cringe, I guess it would be worth it for healthy skin though.

I'll keep it in mind.....

EDIT:Its not actually my idea, somebody mentioned trying it somewhere on the boards, I just picked their brains.

Can't go taking credit for other peoples ideas biggrin.gif

M1DN1GHT R3515TANC3 - I think it's great that you are taking action to try to find whether certain foods cause your skin to react negatively.

Though eating apples and drinking water(both very healthy sources) won't kill you, I don't know if it is absolutely necessary or the healthiest to do, because you would still be lacking important nutrients.

Have you ever considered or gone for allergy testing? This is something I am considering to discover whether my body is less tolerant to certains foods.

Just a thought, but I wish you much luck if you take it on!

Let us know how everything goes! eusa_angel.gif

Li B.

The lack of nutrients does worry me a bit but more-so the lack of protein, I don't want to loose my muscles and go skinny again, I'm not exactly Vin Diesel as it is so I can't really afford to loose any of the muscle that I'v worked hard to gain, I'm loading up on good food right now, so hopefully weight loss will be kept to a minimum over the five days that I'm eating nothing but apples then after the five days the first food I will reintroduce into my diet will be something rich in protein and nutrients- like tuna for example.

Maybe I should take a multi-vitamin throughout the process too.

These sort of fasts are apparently quite safe though, or so I'v heard, Celebrities actually go to special dexox camps for this sort of thing.

I'v never thaught about getting an allergy test done, do you think it would reveal some acne triggers?

Maybe I should go and ask my doc about that......

M1DN1GHT R3515TANC3 - I can understand your concern about losing muscle mass, on top of actual body fat. I agree with you that fasts are quite common and can perhaps do some good but I am not extremely knowledgeable about them yet.

Just a side note - I know fish has some good claims where skin is concerned, but be careful not to overload on tuna. I'm not sure if this is part of your diet in general. As for me, I am not a fan of fish but enjoy tuna is salads or sandwiches once in a while. The concern I have is that I recently read an article speaking about mercury in the body with one of the causes being linked to certain types of tuna and such, that could ultimately cause fatigue, depression, etc. I don't know what level of consumption could lead to this, but just thought I would mention it in case you wanted to learn more. If I find the article, I will let you know as I believe there was a web site mentioned.

Taking a multivitamin may be a good idea.

As far as the allergy test, I thought of this because of another thread I read mentioning someone noticing a reaction to wheat, or for example, the many to dairy. We may have sensitivities we are not always aware of, and may have difficulty properly digesting properties in certain foods. I guess for me, I wanted to eventually check different health aspects: Sleep, exercise, nutrition (allergy testing and naturopathic recommendations), candida, hormones, etc. to find out whether any of these could be playing a role. I don't think you would have anything to lose. eusa_angel.gif

I think it would be great if you could check with your doctor and ask advice about the allergy testing to find out about possible intolerances. If you do this, it might be good to discuss your fasting plan and ask for feedback or recommendations.

Keep us updated, and if we can help in any way, let us know!

Li B.

How are you really going to know what breaks you out? It takes 2-3 weeks for a pimple to form and come to surface, good luck buddy but your wasting your time and your health.

M1DN1GHT R3515TANC3 - I can understand your concern about losing muscle mass, on top of actual body fat.  I agree with you that fasts are quite common and can perhaps do some good but I am not extremely knowledgeable about them yet.

Just a side note - I know fish has some good claims where skin is concerned, but be careful not to overload on tuna.  I'm not sure if this is part of your diet in general.  As for me, I am not a fan of fish but enjoy tuna is salads or sandwiches once in a while.  The concern I have is that I recently read an article speaking about mercury in the body with one of the causes being linked to certain types of tuna and such, that could ultimately cause fatigue, depression, etc.  I don't know what level of consumption could lead to this, but just thought I would mention it in case you wanted to learn more.  If I find the article, I will let you know as I believe there was a web site mentioned.

Taking a multivitamin may be a good idea.

As far as the allergy test, I thought of this because of another thread I read mentioning someone noticing a reaction to wheat, or for example, the many to dairy.  We may have sensitivities we are not always aware of, and may have difficulty properly digesting properties in certain foods.  I guess for me, I wanted to eventually check different health aspects:  Sleep, exercise, nutrition (allergy testing and naturopathic recommendations), candida, hormones, etc.  to find out whether any of these could be playing a role.  I don't think you would have anything to lose.  eusa_angel.gif

I think it would be great if you could check with your doctor and ask advice about the allergy testing to find out about possible intolerances.  If you do this, it might be good to discuss your fasting plan and ask for feedback or recommendations.

Keep us updated, and if we can help in any way, let us know!

Li B.

To me, my personal experience is worth more than a thousand "expert" opinions and I can say from experience that I notice a difference in my skin around one week after finding my optimum skin diet, yet if I went to the derm and told them that I was controlling my acne through a healthy diet alone they would probably laugh me out of the surgery.