Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GuardedlyOptimistic

I've posted Scar pics in the Gallery

Hello,

Although it was extremely difficult for me to do, I have posted 11 pictures of my scars. They are mainly on my left cheek. I took these pics under the highest of contrast lighting conditions. When I pull my skin, most go away. But, as you can see from the pictures, my skin is completely destroyed. I feel so awful about this.

Please, be kind enough to give me your opinions.

Thank you.

Background: I finished accutane 2 months ago. I have no active lesions. I will begin using Retin A in a couple of weeks.

The pictures are posted under an album in the .org Gallery.

I posted a comment in your gallery. Didn't see that you made this thread.

Heh. I'm just going to edit this and say that I think the scarring probably looks worse because of the strong lighting. In the first few pics (or are those the last ones you uploaded wink.gif) it really doesn't look bad to me.

If it makes you feel better, my uncle has really bad acne scarring as well (he had acne well into his mid 30s).

Despite all that, he's happily married to a beautiful woman and has two lovely children. Don't let it get you down so much. If you're worried about people judging you, think of it this way--the ones that judge you based on something like that are superficial anyway, and you shouldn't waste your time with them in the first place.

I take it from your reply that you think my situation is pretty severe. I thank you for your kindness. I do. But, if I don't love myself *including how I look* I don't really feel like it matters if anyone else does. Self love is the most important love. And, to love the self one must love all aspects of the self. I don'tknow how I can love my physical self right now.

Thank you for your kind words.

If it makes you feel better, my uncle has really bad acne scarring as well (he had acne well into his mid 30s).

Despite all that, he's happily married to a beautiful woman and has two lovely children. Don't let it get you down so much. If you're worried about people judging you, think of it this way--the ones that judge you based on something like that are superficial anyway, and you shouldn't waste your time with them in the first place.

Well honestly, I don't know how severe your situation is. I just saw the pictures and they seem really blurry. From what I can see though, they don't see *that* bad.

I just saw your pics. And you know, those pics could probably pass as my face. Mind you, I still have all the redness from the tane. But The scars are very similar, almost identical.

You know, don't get too down about them. No body thinks it's as bad as you do. I know it's easier to say that to do, but take it from me. I am in the almost same situation as you, but still breaking out.

I usually wear my hair down to hide the difference in colour of my face and my neck cause my face is so damn red. But one day, my mom was like, "okay well lets' see your face, see how this stuff is working" so I lifted my hair and put my cheek in the light. She, and her boyfriend who never mentions my skin were like, " oh wow, it's clearing good!" I didn't even realise how well I was doing until I seen thier faces drop. They were shocked.

Anyway, long story short, you are your own worse enemy when it comes to critiquing yourself. You should post a pic of yourself all done up like you would to go out. A front full face shot. Then post that, I bet you would see it's not that bad if you did it that way.

Cheer up, maybe in a little while you can look into some kinds of scar treatments if you still aren't happy with it.

I know its hard GO but you have to try and stay positive in these situations. Accutane has cleared you up now, so the scarring isnt going to get any worse.

Self love is very important, I certainly dont love myself at the minute because of my persistent acne, so i'm not happy and I know how you feel.

As said above, book in to see your derm and talk over the various scar treatments. From the pictures i've seen in the gallery, the immediate effects of dermabrasion are quite scary, but once that heals up the skin does look a lot better

is there a link to your pictures i cannot find them

also, you need to cheer up please im sure they arent as bad as you are saying they are, you are very strong willed so im sure u will make it through this, and life could be worse you know...i found out today i haev to go to rehab, smile please cus if u do, maybe it will help me too...

mitch

Just droppin in to say your are in my thoughts GO, as anyone with such an affliction is. Life can be shitty sometimes, but I really beleive in playing the cards your dealt and making the most of it. Easier said than done, beleive me i know. I have things i'll most likely have to live with the rest of my life, things which make me feel abnormal and reduce the quality of life, but this just forces you to make the extra effort, and really appreciate what you do have going for you, things others would kill for....

Ive been reading here for a long time and as im aware, there are many options for you at this stage. Youve cleared your acne and things can only get better, and they will! I cant see too well the condition of your skin in those photos, but what ever scarring you have, and to whatever extent, it isnt something I personally would look at twice if i met you wink.gif

take care,

P

Hey GO,

You are so brave for posting those pictures... I'm really proud of you. I know it was hard for you, but I hope that now that you've opened up a little, maybe you will find some comfort in knowing that so many people here are in the same situation...and they can honestly say so now that they have seen your pictures.

Given time, you could definitely pursue scar treatments and improve the texture of your skin tremendously. You may not even need something as drastic as dermabrasion, you never know. I have the same type of scarring on my cheeks, mostly on my right cheek, though not as extensive. I researched the types of scarring and concluded that mine are closest to "rolling" scars.... yours look very similar.

I truly hope that you can come to love yourself... I wish there were more we could do. Strangely enough, I started feeling a lot better about my physical appearance once I started wearing less skin makeup. True, that had something to do with the clearing of my skin, but it was also a decision on my part, as I'm just completely sick of using foundation every day. I think that once I got rid of my "hiding" equipment, I started to see that I never needed to hide in the first place. People really don't notice things as much as we do ourselves. As others have already said, we're our own worst critics... and it's so true.

Anyways, thanks for sharing... things will get better! biggrin.gif

Mae

I can't believe someone manage to take pictures of themself that actually show whats going on, and it's not just a blurrly thing. You're very brave, and it doesn't look too bad to me. You're clear, and the skin looks like it's healthy, and plump, and filling in the scars nicely. I bet you wont have them for long.

GO- You are fantastic.. and no amount of perfect skin, or scarred skin can change that about you. Everyone has flaws- EVERYONE. Brad Pitt has acne scars for christ's sake. You are beautiful, and you are so incredible. The retin-a will definately help, but if you think dermabrasion will make you feel more comfortable with your skin..then I say- Go for it, girl! I would like to get laser resurfacing (which I think you might benefit from.. it's less invasive than dermabrasion and, in my opinion- alot more effective because its geared toward deep wrinkles and imperfections.) There's downtime, but not as much as dermabrasion. But, I would like to do that after my battle with acne is all over- just to wash away the traces, ya know? And I think that you should do some research on that, and sit back, relax- and enjoy having to active acne. Battle numero-uno is over. And that's the hardest thing to get over.

Good luck, my darling- You are a beauty, God bless, and Take care. I know you are going to feel great about yourself soon enough, and I agree about self love being most important. You've got every reason to love yourself- You just have to embrace it within yourself.

Thank you guys. You know, I took those pics under the worst possible conditions. The scarring doesn't look as deep or uneven in person. I just wanted to keep it as real as I could to give others hope. I know i'll beat this. I'll have smooth skin within a year and a half. Patience has never been my virtue. But, I will try my best.

I really love your spirits. We'll continue this journey together.

thanks for posting these and kudos on your guts.

dealing with the scarring is a bit like cleaning up after a hurricane. or a fire. or something...you got out of the assault alive, now it is just to try to get back to what you were used to. it will be a slow process. you are doing everything you can, and since you have no active acne, there is NO way it can get worse... maybe ther is some laser treatments that can help with scars in the immediate post accutane months? i don't know, just an idea.

good luck. you are so strong.

Hey,

Thanks a million. I've taken down the pics just because I feel I have to concentrate on future progress as opposed to feeling stuck in where I was only a few days ago. I feel that my skin is still fragile, as I finished accutane a short while ago. I know that my skin will still vastly improve in the next 12 months. I haven't even tried the Retin A yet. I have faith that things will continue to improve. I will post the pics again in 6 months after i've been on Retin A for a while so that you can see the difference.

smile.gif Bless you all.

Hey,

Thanks a million. I've taken down the pics just because I feel I have to concentrate on future progress as opposed to feeling stuck in where I was only a few days ago. I feel that my skin is still fragile, as I finished accutane a short while ago. I know that my skin will still vastly improve in the next 12 months. I haven't even tried the Retin A yet. I have faith that things will continue to improve. I will post the pics again in 6 months after i've been on Retin A for a while so that you can see the difference.

smile.gif Bless you all.