Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
londres

How I got rid of MY red marks/pigmentation

Hey guys!

A few weeks ago, sometime back towards March, another member of this board had sucess with glycolic peels. At the time I was desperate to get rid of the red spots, marks, stains, pepperoni - whatever you want to call it! - from old break outs. I never had indented/concave scars, just red marks that stayed for MONTHS. Anyways, I ordered a glycolic peel kit off the internet, along with a copper peptide serum (water based, non-comedgenic) that supposedly stimulates collagen production. Well, anyways, in April I ordered the kit from www.makeupartistschoice.com (You can also order from www.homepeels.com , but I found the first site to be much less expensive) .

Doing 1 30% glycolic peel a week, along with my copper peptide "juice" (it's blue), I would say that my old marks have lessened by about 70%. I've only done 4 peels, but even my old marks are fading quite rapidly.

You can also get peels done at a salon (very expensive) and get different concentrations of the peel. I got a 30% glycolic peel because I was new to the stuff, and it was definately effective. Would a higher concentration work better/faster? I don't know, but I wouldn't try it. My skin is also not sensitive at all (years of battling acne has proven that) but it did make me a little pink for about a day. Also, don't try it if your on retin-a or differin. Very bad things can happen.

Anyways, that's my "sucess" story.

Good luck to all.

Jen :-/

tulipa - I edited your heading because red marks are not scars, they are red marks/pigmentation. So to say you got rid of your scars would not be accurate, since red marks do fade by themselves with time and they are part of the process of healing.

Glad to hear of your success, I love peels and copper peptides too. :-

And I don't agree with the retin-a theory - I use all and it's fine.

tulipia u've given me hope! That's exactly what I plan to do to help my red marks. In fact I have ordered the same things already.... just waiting for them to arrive. Thanx for sharing!

i'm still on tazorac right now.. so i'll probably do the glycolic peel after...

are there any side effects?... and how do i know which strength (percentage) of glycolic peel i should use?

tulipa - I edited your heading because red marks are not scars, they are red marks/pigmentation. So to say you got rid of your scars would not be accurate, since red marks do fade by themselves with time and they are part of the process of healing.

Glad to hear of your success, I love peels and copper peptides too.  :-

Maya scar techinically is an imperfection it does not only mean an indentation in the skin.. I know you guys have given your own definition for what a scar is but just wanted to clear that up.

You're wrong Alex - a red mark will fade in time, a scar stays there permanantly if it gets no treatment.

Sure maybe the way you guys have changed the meaning of the word but a mark does not have to be permanent to be a scar.

Glad to hear of your success, I love peels and copper peptides too.  :D

Maya scar techinically is an imperfection it does not only mean an indentation in the skin.. I know you guys have given your own definition for what a scar is but just wanted to clear that up.

A scar is an imperfection that stays with you forever. Anything that doesnt stay forever is not a scar.

hello50 - of course, you are right on that count.... but, scars don't improve an awful lot without treatment, whereas 99% of red marks will fade eventually without treatment.

Wow, I guess this is what we could call controversy on this board.

The reason I put "scars" and not marks in the topic was because I still have red scars left over from accutane (2 years) After two years, I think these "marks" have become scars, even if medically, they haven't. Also, marks from newer breakouts take months to "heal" for me, and it seems like other people's marks always healed faster than mine, so that was why I searched for something permanent to take away the marks.

About which concentration to choose, always start out with 30% if your new to it, and follow the directions to a T. There was a girl on this board who seriously burned her skin a few months ago because she didn't follow directions.