Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fatima

Fatima's Log...!

WEEK ONE

i decided i might as well chronicle the events in this adventure i'm going to be sharing with many of you... thought perhaps it would help me keep track of my progress...

began the regimen on monday night with the Purpose soap, Neutrogena 2.5% bp, and Clinique's dramatically different moisturizing lotion (since that's what i had around and i've got alot of it left... really heavy-duty stuff it is; i've been having a dry skin dilemma since i was on a Benzac 10% wash twice daily, Differin gel in the morning, Cleocin lotion in the afternoon, and Retin-A at night...) not having any problems with this moisturizer now but i will more than likely switch to the Eucerin when it's used up... i think i may have been overzealous when i began and thus used way too much bp the first night and got a terrible itch and burn (ow)... and so tuesday morning, adamant about conquering my acne, diligently progressed with Purpose soap but NO bp, and loads of moisturizer... giving myself a wee little break... tuesday night added a slight amount of bp after Purpose soap wash plus moisturizer as well (dry skin recovering)... since then the stinging and itching and burning has greatly decreased and last night (friday) i did not need to use the moisturizer at all and i'm almost up to the full recommended amount of bp.... i did however end up switching back to my regular cleanser (St. Ives Purifying Facial Clear Pore Cleanser- very mild) because i did not like the way the Purpose bar made my skin feel... i've had no trouble thus far... that is, using sort of my own version of this regimen... over the weekend i had an extreme breakout and it's been clearing up remarkably... much faster with the mild bp cream than ANYTHING my dermatologist ever gave me... had about twenty-five new blemishes last saturday, most of which now are nearly completely healed... only a few new blemishes though, which are extremely tiny, hardly visible... lots of old scarring though :) ....

AND SO i am going to stick with this scrupulously and religiously... sometime in the near future i think i'll get an allergy test, and i'm going to see about starting the *miracle* lemon juice drink treatment on monday (hehe)... i am very glad i happened to find this website; i've gotten much support and helpful advice from everyone.... like many people i'm sure, i was in desperation trying to find something that would work, anything at all... i was about to the point where i needed a 'last resort', which for some means Accutane, but i will never be eligible for Accutane because of severe depression in my past.... anyways, i am really hoping this is the thing that will finally be 'it', you know? and i think it may very well be.

STAY TUNED...! new posts coming :wink:

Fatima-- I know that you probably laid out quite a bit for the Clinique dramaticaly different lotion, but it could be the cause of even more acne. It is an oil based lotion that can make clear skinned people break out. Even the sales person at the clinique counter told me that it was not a good idea for me, since i have a "tendency" to break out.

My skin is really dry (even more so on the BP regimen). I am using the Nuetrogena Mouisture, which does an OK job. I have to reapply mid-day, but at least I know it is not causing the problems I am working so hard to get rid of. After a while on the regimen, after my skin is clear, I may search out other lotions (can't live without one), but I am going to look for other oil free products, maybe try some of Dan's other suggestions.

Anyhow, long message to say that I think your lotion may be causing you more problems than it is solving. Hope this helps. Good luck!

WEEK 2: Monday

ahhhh! oh no! thanks much for the tip, DK... i am definetely going to look into other moisturizers.... because... well.... i do not need any more trouble with my skin.... thank you.

ohh, man. fatima has had a very rough day :) .... i guess things are going alright with the regimen.... only a few new blemishes cropped up today... minor ones... though the breakouts around my hairline are being very stubborn... arrgh... but it's only been a week... and... already much improvement so i am not going to obsess right now and nitpick and keep going because.... that is the only thing i can do.... AND SO... tomorrow I am making a trip to the drugstore and the grocer's to go on a quest for lemon juice and new moisturizer i guess... fatima couild use some encouragement, though. this has been a terrible week and its only monday.

Hi Fatima-- words of encouragement here! Keep with it-- My skin is dry, but gradually clearing too. I am sure that this regimen is slowly but surely working, and, unless you have cystic acne, it is so much better than subjecting your body to harsh drugs that can have other complications and side effects. Patience is so hard when you have to look in the mirror every time you go to wash your hands! I wish I had better lotion answers for you, but keep me posted in your search.

BTW, you don't have to have a special brand of lemon juice if you can't find it-- just squeeze organic lemons. A little more time consuming, but just as effective and even more yummy.

Keep up the good work, and take pleasure in the sucess you have had so far!

DK

WEEK TWO: Tuesday

DK- much thanks. i really appreciate the help and advice :)

today... face was very dry in the morning so i cut back a wee bit on the bp... not too many new blemishes, but these pesky onces i've got now seem adamant to linger around forever... i would like to think things have 'stabilized' for the time being but, tomorrow never knows... and neither do i... having some bearable redness, which i think may be in part due to the cold weather and skin-dryness... somehow this mildly camouflages red marks and blemishes, so i suppose thats a good thing in its own way... a little peel-y under me lower lip, but not too bad.... i'm trying the neutrogena moisture as recommended by DK... deliberating about whether or not i want to try the diet-elimination strategy... i dont know. guess we'll see.

WEEK TWO

well, fatima feels very bad today... it's almost the end of week two, and i admit i thought i'd be getting miracle results in no time flat... no new blemishes today, but my face looks absolutely dreadful: red, blotchy, uneven, pockmarked... i'm being diligent with the bp- applying the recommended amount both in the morning and at night, though a little less in the morning because of dryness/burning/flakiness, and lots of moisturizer both a.m. and p.m... my skin feels a little bit "raw" after the routine, nothing too troublesome; it's bearable. hoping this is just the skin adjusting to the medication. i'm about to switch to a sensitive-skin cleanser because i recently discovered my St. Ives cleanser contains salicylic acid and i'm wondering if this perhaps has anything to do with my recurrent breakouts... yes, i'm still breaking out, and in places that i never had trouble with before, i.e. my forehead, temples and hairline. most often breakouts would occur on the sides of my face... which they still do. i don't know if this is coincidental or if the breakouts were acne that was already forming before starting the regime, or if the breakouts are being caused by the irritation from salicylic acid in my cleanser or what... fatima is frusterated. very. oh, yeah... and she has ruled out diet elimination, though she's trying to cut back a little on the sugar... and has been drinking lots and lots of water... no improvement yet... i don't know what's going on. desperate. in about two and a half weeks, i'll be going to maryland to visit the love of my life (hehe) whom i met at a film school over the summer... and even though he said i was attractive despite my bad skin, i still feel so horrible about myself and all the time i'm going, 'why why why why why'...?

WEEK TWO (friday night)

tonight i switched to a different cleanser- Clean & Clear Sensitive Skin Oil-Free... so we'll see if things improve at all from here on out... i do not like bar soaps. my skin does not like bar soaps. the drug store in my area has only a very limited selection, so i tried to make the best choice in trying out the Clean & Clear... thoughts, anyone? advice? anyone used this cleanser? two new blemishes tonight!! arrgh. :) the back of my neck and my shoulders and back are a mess too, so i've started applying some Clearasil nightly for the past two days... i don't know, guys... i keep telling myself over and over 'this will work, this will work, this will work'... lol... started taking vitamins... hehe... THIS WILL WORK. help. :)

WEEK TWO (saturday morning)

i feel so horrible... need to vent, i guess... this website will be my salvation... this is exactly what i am doing right now (my regimen): Clean & Clear sensitive skin oil-free cleanser, Neutrogena 2.5% bp, then Neutrogena Moisture SPF 15... i keep having to remind myself to be gentle when washing and applying bp... i've watched the videos countless times but i'm still not sure how to grade myself in terms of gentleness, per se... the key to success with this regimen is LOADS of bp, right... so i should just keep on applying lots and lots of bp even with dryness, correct?! oh, yeah, and i'm moisturizing morning and night with the Neutrogena Moisture... don't remember if i've posted that already... i don't really rub in or smooth in the moisturizer; i just sort of take a big dollop and then kind of wipe it on and let it set and absorb... is there something wrong with the way i am doing this? still having new breakouts everyday. :):) very miserable. this has to work... it HAS to. fatima is at the end of her rope. is there such a thing as TOO much bp or TOO much moisturizer? well, let's see... actually, let me think back to last week..... because last week was a fairly okay week.... i had that one horrible breakout on my right side/forehead, but the rest of me was pretty much okay... so i bp-ed like hell and the breakout diminished and i thought i was in the clear but was very dry and so lightened up my bp application in the mornings... and now everything is a mess. today i've begun applying copious amounts of bp again, and added moisturizer at night just to combat another bout of dryness... perhaps this has something to do with all the blemishes i have now? because of the sporadic way in which i first began the regimen??? help.

Hi there Fatima,

I think the major problem you are dealing is new form acne. As a result, you should know what causes it. Well, in my opinion, I think the usage of Benzoyl peroxide did, irritate your fragile skin. So, you have to use the Benzoyl peroxide on alternate day in order to prevent over-irritation. Normally, acne that is caused by irritation is not as same as those forms by excess oil+impurities+P.acnes, the acne caused by irritation is usually a bump, reddish bump. If your condition is similar to what as I stated out there, then you should take precaution about that.

You said you switched to Clean& Clear Sensitive skin cleanser, well, this is a great cleanser, for those who have sensitive skin BUT, to me, the ingredient in the cleanser is comedogenic, if I'm not wrong, it should be SLS- sodium laureth sulphate or sodium lauryl sulphate. These ingredients are used as toilet bowl disclogger.

About moisturization, well, sometimes, it's a little bit better for your skin to breathe itself by leaving it out of moisturizer or any skin product. I know if Dan saw my words, he would say, NO NO NO, you should use a BP assault everytime to prevent and fight P.acne in order to get rid of acne, but to me, skin also need to rest, just like us, so, sometimes, i would leave my skin alone without any skin products.

Okie..hopefully can help..

garkee2002 :wink:

WEEK TWO (saturday night)

well, good friends... fatima discovered two things today, after perusing through old posts on the message boards: she has been washing incorrectly (too roughly), AND she is not using enough benzoyl peroxide. the latter though may be a good thing since i've only been on the regimen two weeks and i'm slowly upping my dosage... (eventually, i guess i'll need to be going through 2 tubes of bp a week since my problem area is my entire goddamn face... 2 tubes? can that really be? that's so much! aaahh!!) but regardless, i feel like kicking myself... lol... it's so simple! tonight, i washed with extreme care and applied lots of bp and then lots and lots of moisturizer. i'm very dry and i'm getting some flaking and peeling around my nose and mouth, which is supposed to happen, i know i know, but i still worry if i started to fast or not. i don't know. *sigh* ohh yes, and i walked to the grocer's today and purchased some lemons... it's a very small grocer's, VERY small, and this is an extremely small community i'm living in right now, so thus no organic lemon juice and i really doubt these lemons i've got are organic also, but hopefully they will suffice. hopefully. starting *magic lemon elixir* tomorrow morn. still new blemishes, every time i look in the mirror, it seems... and the current blemishes i have are taking FOREVER to heal. what's that all about? :) AND i have vowed to take an allergy test on Monday.

hey Garkee! many thanks for your post :) just a quick question, though... when you say a "reddish bump" do you mean a bump that does not eventually develope a whitehead? i'm a wee bit confused... i mean, it's difficult right now for me to tell if the acne i'm getting is 'regular' acne or acne cause by irritation like what you've describe... lol... because ALL my blemishes usually start out as a 'reddish bump'. so if you could clear that up a little perhaps...? Thank you SO very much.

WEEK TWO (sunday morning)

well... fatima stopped the regimen today. Garkee suspected i might be experiencing irritation as a result of the benzoyl peroxide assault, and i think he is probably right. it is just getting out of control. my skin is actually worse now than before i started the regimen... :cry::) i don't know what is going on. what can i do? this morning i washed my face and neck, shoulders, back with the Clean & Clear and then only applied my Neutrogena Moisture and did a light spot-treat on my current blemishes with some Differin gel. hope that's alright. guess my skin needs a little break... i'll see how it reacts tomorrow morning, to the Differin that is, and maybe i'll do that again or only moisturize... i can't believe this. honestly. i am at a loss. i just wanted it to clear up before i went on holiday break... to see my love... lol... i. want. to. scream. :)

Irritation is your major problem due to Benzoyl peroxide. My suggestion is you should cleanse your skin with Clean&Clear® sensitive skin cleanser, then just leave your skin alone without applying any skin products such as Neutrogena® moisture or Differin® gel. Although your existing acne will swell and form pimples, it would be better to just leave them alone, or another alternative is you only apply Differin® gel to your spot.

I hope your skin will heal before you meet your love one. Everyone want her/his love one to look at her/his best appearance, right?

garkee2002 :wink:

Fatima-- I know that you probably laid out quite a bit for the Clinique dramaticaly different lotion, but it could be the cause of even more acne.  It is an oil based lotion that can make clear skinned people break out.  Even the sales person at the clinique counter told me that it was not a good idea for me, since i have a "tendency" to break out.

WHAT - IS THIS TRUE??? THIS IS WHAT I USE TOO....... :cry::cry::):)

I can only speak from my personal experience-- I think it is comodogenic because it is oil based. The sales person confirmed that it can cause acne in those who are prone to break out, and reccomended that I use other products.

On the other hand, my mother (who does not break out) has used it for years, with great results. Like all cosmetics, lotions and potions, it just has to do with what your skin reacts to. If you are on this website, however, i will presume that you have acne, and I suggest that the clinique dramaticly different lotion may be one cause.