Notifications
Clear all

keloid scars

MemberMember
(@sammy18)

Posted : 05/14/2005 6:19 pm

I have a number of large keloid scars on my chest, i had a few questions.

Im getting steroid injections and im wondering if that will permanently flatten my scars?

Ive used the scar pads and they have been pretty ineffective, does alpha hydroxy acid help get rid of the red color?

Finally, are there any water/sweat proof makeups i can use on them once they flatten out from the steroids to help hide the redness?

Thank you for the help!

post-10576-1116112756_thumb.jpg

post-10576-1116112756_thumb.jpg

MemberMember
(@sammy18)

Posted : 05/16/2005 8:02 pm

no one has any advice? sad.gif

MemberMember
(@debonaire)

Posted : 05/16/2005 8:21 pm

I don't want to sound discouraging, but my brother has the exact same type of scarring on his chest, shoulders and back. He's tried steroid injections repeatedly and is using some type of cream as well as scar pads and a load of other stuff. Unfortunately... nothing has really worked. I don't know about the alpha hydroxy acid, but I suggest that before you do ANYTHING to the keloid scars that you talk to your derm or doctor. Keloid scars have a tendancy to grow larger if they're damaged - which is why most people, if not all with keloids can't have surgery to remove them. They'd just come back larger.

I wish you tons of luck with the scars; I know how troubling they can be for my brother. And sorry if I didn't help any - I just wanted you to know that you're not alone out there. tongue.gif

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/16/2005 8:22 pm

hey how did you get that type of acne..im curious couse i had that.. but it was on my back from dhea use..it went down natural left minimal scarring..i curious how or what led up to that.. was it small acne but u developed very large scarring?

MemberMember
(@leopolda)

Posted : 05/16/2005 9:42 pm

Hi Sammy, I have not had keloid scars such as yours, but I have had hypertrophic scars that have responded well to aldara (imiquimod) applied after excision. However, there has been a big stir on another scar board dedicated specifically to Keloid scars about the topical application of DMSO. There's some controversy about it, but it looks very promising. Here is the link:

http://cgi.tripod.com/keloid-scars/cgi-bin...67767;start=0#0

best of luck,

--leo

MemberMember
(@dermpro)

Posted : 05/16/2005 11:59 pm

I have a number of large keloid scars on my chest, i had a few questions.

Im getting steroid injections and im wondering if that will permanently flatten my scars?

Ive used the scar pads and they have been pretty ineffective, does alpha hydroxy acid help get rid of the red color?

Finally, are there any water/sweat proof makeups i can use on them once they flatten out from the steroids to help hide the redness?

Thank you for the help!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 05/17/2005 12:02 am

As much as I want to help, I cannot give advices because I don't know much about keloid scars. Have you seek professional help lately?

MemberMember
(@leopolda)

Posted : 05/17/2005 12:10 am

hi dermpro--I'm just curious why you say that sammy's scars are hypertrophic and not keloidal. I'm obviously no expert, but those look pretty keloidal to me (the size, irregular shape, etc.). Most of what I have read about the two types of scars seems to indicate that they can be easily confused and that only the clear pattern of growth and expansion or histologic evidene (collagen bundle pattern viewabel only under a microscope) can determine the difference. Since those look like most keloids I've seen (and not like most hypertrophic scars I've seen) and since the chest area is particularly prone to keloids (whereas the facial area is most prone to hypertrophics), I really think these are indeed keloidal. But, as I said, I'm no expert. I'd like to know what about those scars makes you rule out that they are keloids and to conclude that they are hypertrophic. BTW, in case my "tone" is not clear, I'm not at all trying to sound defiant, but instead, I'm genuinely curious as to your thoughts.

thanks

--leo

quote=dermpro,May 16 2005, 09:59 PM]

What you have in the picture are hypertrophic scars, and not keloids. There is a huge difference between the two. Steroid injections are the most common treatment for hypertrophics, and can indeed flatten them permanently. Unfortunately, as with most medications/procedures, it doesn't work for everyone. Stick with it - it's a slow process, but can work wonders if you give it a chance.

AHA's can help w/redness, but it won't be dramatic. Also, some people are sensitive to AHA's, so it's possible that you can get more redness at first.

The "Dermablend" cosmetic line is designed to help color flaws.

I hope you are making the effort to keep your acne under control - that is where your money is best spent. You might not be able to get rid of the scars you already have, but you can do a lot to keep from getting new ones....

MemberMember
(@dermpro)

Posted : 05/17/2005 8:11 am

hi dermpro--I'm just curious why you say that sammy's scars are hypertrophic and not keloidal. I'm obviously no expert, but those look pretty keloidal to me (the size, irregular shape, etc.). Most of what I have read about the two types of scars seems to indicate that they can be easily confused and that only the clear pattern of growth and expansion or histologic evidene (collagen bundle pattern viewabel only under a microscope) can determine the difference. Since those look like most keloids I've seen (and not like most hypertrophic scars I've seen) and since the chest area is particularly prone to keloids (whereas the facial area is most prone to hypertrophics), I really think these are indeed keloidal. But, as I said, I'm no expert. I'd like to know what about those scars makes you rule out that they are keloids and to conclude that they are hypertrophic. BTW, in case my "tone" is not clear, I'm not at all trying to sound defiant, but instead, I'm genuinely curious as to your thoughts.

thanks

--leo

Hi Leo,

Hypertrophics are thickened, ropy, ugly scars that nonetheless stay within the general borders of the injured skin (IOW, what is seen in the pic). Keloids are scars that greatly overgrow/outgrow the general boundaries of the damaged area. Hypertrophics, while a great nuisance, are not disfiguring (although those with hyper's will state they are). Keloids are greatly disfiguring, and can cover many square inches of surrounding skin. Keloids can be so disfiguring that the owners don't even venture out into public.

The chest are is indeed prone to keloids, but this doesn't necessisarily mean that every time you see an unusual scar there, that it is a keloid. The chest area is prone to abnormal scarring of both types. Also, it is not just the chest area, but is the anterior and posterior aspect of the upper torso, including the tops of the shoulders that are prone to abnormal scarring.

I realize that these scars in question look like keloids to you, but I have a feeling that you haven't really seen true keloids. Try to do a search for keloids, and if you can find some pics at a legitimate medical site, you will see the difference. Believe me, once you learn the difference, you can spot a keloid from a mile away.

BTW - you are not alone in your conclusions. Most medical professionals don't know the difference either, and would most likely call these scars keloids as well...

MemberMember
(@sammy18)

Posted : 05/17/2005 9:00 am

yeah my dermatologist said they are keloid scars...

Thanks alot for your help guys, yeah it is very frustrating, i have had my acne under control for a couple years now (thx to accutane), and ive had some sort of injections in the past (not exactly sure what they were).

I think the scars got so big is because my acne did get severe on my chest, plus since its in an area like that, my friends didnt know about my problem and i occassionaly got a slap on the chest or a chest bump (knowing how guys are), until one day i freaked out cause it hurt my chest like hell.

So for those steroid injections, if they are effective, do u know if thats something ill have to continue doing to keep the keloids down?

thx again everyone

MemberMember
(@sammy18)

Posted : 05/17/2005 9:03 am

one other question, does that dermablend make up stay on through sweat/water? (if i the steroids can even get the keloids somewhat flat)

because it would be nice to go swimming this summer, but im far too embarrassed from my scars....

MemberMember
(@damnlife)

Posted : 05/08/2013 4:15 pm

Are you sure these are keloids? it could be hypertrophic.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5475735_keloid-vs-hypertrophic-scar.html

And no steroid injections won't flatten them out completely, I have the same case except it's hypertrophic scars on my chest, shoulders, back.

GL smile.png