Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lostwitness

Anyone else have social anxiety disorder?

Grrr.. I've had social anxiety disorder for a while now and the acne simply isn't helping. Just wondering if anyone out there is on the same boat.

I think i have it, acne and roaaccutane dont help - the tane makes me irritable and depressed at times, and the acne makes me so fuckin self concious i might as well not bother ne way,

but i sometimes feel very uncomfortable when i go out, unless im drunk...

So i stay in coz i feel safe... and get pissed up at home

I say every week to my friends, when they phone, ill go out and meet them on saturday night ...

But i never do i try and avoid it at all costs - I also think bad experences with cannabis ( highly paranoid anxious etc ) makes me not wanna go out coz they all smoke it and ill end up smokin it myself and gettin anxious as fuck.

I used to LOVE smokin weed but all it does now is fuck me up and make me anxious and paranoid and extreamly uncomfortable cry.gif

I kind of have social anxiety disorder. It used to be much worse. I find that the worse my acne is the more I suffer from this disorder. My acne is clearing up and I'm not effected as much now. I'm nowhere near over it though, the disorder seems to stick around even after acne clears it seems.

I do not have SAD, but I have been and still am in the process of re-learning how to be socially acceptable. I spent alot of years trying to survive a bad home situation, which left precious little time for learning social skills.

It's getting easier, though. Much easier.

Reefer - many of my friends have related to that feeling. We called it "growing up". smile.gif

I think I have a bit of it. I dont like going out to places where there's lots of ppl or placed in a situation where I will have to deal with people. It makes me nervous and I panic.

I have it, i can't sit facing another person at a table without being very anxious and i can't even eat infront of others in public cos i blush / flush so much, but i can eat alone without getting all worked up and red. It's partly due to my acne marks / rosacea, but it's also in my head too.

Need to get off this Effexor and try summit else.

i would say i have it ALOT.......its so bad that i've even skipped saturday math class and hide in washroom and cry.......yes it has happened

yeah i know I do......the only time I really feel comfortable out with people is when I am a little buzzed or drunk......I know- sad isn't it. Other than that, I always feel like people are looking at my oily pimply face and scars. And the funny thing is, I KNOW that my acne is not nearly as bad as other people's, but I FEEL like it is, and I always feel like people are staring at it. People tell me "Oh you have great skin", "Acne, what acne?" But they don't know because I am an artist at covering it perfectly with makeup. They have no idea what i really look like- which is even more frustrating than anything else.

No one sees what i see- that's what makes me so uncomfortable all the time, because I always feel like I am trying to hide something.

~Cindy

Guest Amy Lee

I was so shy before and up to now, but I'm trying my best to overcome it.

I think the best solution is going out more often, do not hide in the comfort of your privacy because that keeps us isolated, and the more we have time for ourselves the more we think of our problems. But when we get out to the outside world, we not only develop good social relationships but also get to see a new perspective in life.

i think i might have some version of that.

i'm actually like afraid to go to public places, like the mall, in fear that i'll see someone i know and have to talk to them. im afraid of being around people sometimes because i'm afraid that i'll have to keep up a conversation and im not good at that at all. i can never find anything to say. im always uncomfortable and extremely shy. in school, i always feel awkward and i feel like everyones staring at me. ehh. sad.gif

Know what I'm afraid of, going somewhere and seeing somebody I used to know when I had a perfect complexion. That would be quite embarassing with all these redmarks now.

i almost cried on various occasions.

i dont like being in a room of people i dont know.. without someone i know.

working, its better to concentrate because usually i can work alone.

but it groups, no, i'll freak.

i'll clam up and start breathing heavily.

im a bit better now, in high school i had a breakdown and had to homeschool.

mainly because people teased me so much about my acne and other things.

i know i sound crazy, but hey, it happens.

Guest Marino

I have it but in a different way.

I make 200 dollars a week [part time work/full time study]. My acne medication [morning/night cream, special non acne iratating moisturizer/sunscreen and zinc, vitamin A supplements] at the moment cost me about 50 dollars a week. Plus the 50 im putting away for scar treatment. Leaves 100 for public transport, food and college fees/books ect. As you can see theres no money for going out, only untill I'm done with scar treatments in August and I can pay just 12.50 a week for my retinoid as maintence for my skin.

Untill then I have to grow my hair to hide my acne [forehead] which DOES NOT SUIT ME, it's only slightly better than having a head full of zits and remarks. I have to wear baggy loose clothing to stop my body acne from scarring [which looks crap] and I'm scared to shave because it irritates my acne medication [so yea I have to trim this stupid beard]. The result is one ugly teenanger. This is not the Marino of 2004 that everyone knew. The way you look really afects your self esteem and the enjoyment you have when going out... so its just not worth it for me at moment.

I hate having to make excuses for my friends for not going out with them, plus all the excuses for not having a girlfirend for the past year, and why I look the way I do at the moment. It really builds up and gets you depressed, the only thing that keeps you going is hope. And for me faith in god.

The good side is it will make us better people in the end. We'll have alot more respect for people with these types of social disorders and "cosmetic/imaje problems". I dont know about you but I laughed at my mum when she took time off work for anxiety, now whos laughing? And it dosn't have to be just acne sufferes that I respect, obese people also have my sympothy as well as anyone who is the victim of natrual/unatrual misfortune concerning there apperance. I'm just glad theirs a varitey of procedures and medication to help us and people like us out. Ill never make fun of the way anyone looks everagain, becasue it hurt me and now that I know how it feels I really regreat it sad.gif

I'm pretty sure I do, all through highschool I never felt comfortable with bringing anyone to my home and even now. I have people I talk to a bit at work but I have no friends that I hang out with. I just have my boyfriend(who I met on the internet), and he has to practically drag me out of my place to go anywhere, most of the time I just stay at home. When people come up to me about anything that I do wrong and start questioning me in a non-friendly tone I end up crying(I can't help it, just happens). wacko.gif

Know what I'm afraid of, going somewhere and seeing somebody I used to know when I had a perfect complexion.  That would be quite embarassing with all these redmarks now.

Shit this tane is making me depressed but its my last resort wtf am i gna do? i feel violent like wanting to smash shit if sum1 pisses me off n then i feel like crying... i never cry

Guest Shjaker

I don't have a social anxiety disorder on the official side, I've just sort of retreated into my shell since being critiqued by outsiders' opinions.

And many family issues on top that have sort of left me stumped and confused about everything. I basically need this time I'm making for myself to sort my life out. A sudden jump back into the limelight would just make me more stressed than I already am. There's no harm in taking time to sort things out, even just for the people who haven't been as social lately because of acne

Guest Marino
Im going to a psychiatrist on tuesday and he'll probaly give me meds for it - im also visiting a psychologist.

Im going to a psychiatrist on tuesday and he'll probaly give me meds for it - im also visiting a psychologist.