Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geoffreybanks

2 questions about accutane...

1. I've been on accutane for 3 months now, 40mg a day. I will run out of tablets in about 4 days... I can't remember if I was put on for 3 or 4 months .. but anyway, I've got a derm appointment in a few days. Ok, I'm clear... that is of active stuff... only got one small spot in about 2 weeks which went away quickly. I am getting very dry all the time, flaking etc. uncrontrollably. Also, my summer holidays start in about a month and a half. My question: Should I:

A) stop accutane now, after 3 months (which may have been my designated course... or she may prescribe another month on tuesday even though i'm clear now).

B) carry on (if she gives me the tablets) another month, meaning I'll finish a few weeks before summer holidays (would still have to be careful with sun etc.)

I'm just confused what to do. I don't want to relapse due to only being on for 3 months... but I don't want to put up with another month of dryness etc. even though I'm clear, and then have to avoid the sun in the summer holidays and other effects of accutane. I had quite oily skin before treatment, so I don't mind being dry... and i'm dreading coming off treatment to get that skin back again sad.gif

That leads onto my second question. If accutane temporarily reduces your sebacious glands (am I right?), how is is possible for you to stay clear afterwards? If they will open to normal size, as before treatment, oily again etc... why don't you just come up as bad as before?

Long post, sorry. Thanks.

Only do what the derm tells you!. I had a similar experinece to you in that I was put on a 3/4 month course and was clear at the end of 3. I was told to do another month despite being clear and it worked out fine, and seeing as it left me clear for years it proved it wasn't a bad idea. I can't answer your second question as I don't know how it works.

Ok thanks. Very similar case as me, yeah... I'll go along to the appointment and see what happens. Don't mind the outcome either way, both have benefits.

Thanks umm... can anyone answer my second question?

That leads onto my second question. If accutane temporarily reduces your sebacious glands (am I right?), how is is possible for you to stay clear afterwards? If they will open to normal size, as before treatment, oily again etc... why don't you just come up as bad as before?

Ok thanks. Yep I'm using mousturiser religiously... so using the sunblock one wont be too bad. Appointments on wednesday.... we'll see what happens.

I really hope accutane has done something permanent to my skin glands... not having as much of an oily face (mainly nose) would be such a good thing.

Time will tell.

Thanks.

been on it 6 months still not clear getting me down about after to go bk to see my derm on 1st july im on a 8 months course

sif u wouldn't go the extra month... just use lots of sunscreen... ur like almost through, u don't want it to come back and then have to redo it...

Yep I can see benefits in carrying on and not, swaying in the carrying on direction.

Anyway appointment in 3 days... guess its the derms decision in the end.

i've been on roaccutane two times (eleven years ago and six years ago) both times the acne came back after about a year, but not as severe as before i started roaccutane. guess it is different for different persons, but that's my experience.