Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ArcticMonkey

post dermabrasion query

Hi, as most of you know i had dermabarsion with Dr Y 6 weeks ago, and everything seems to be coming along fine, apart from 1 thing.....my chin area, the skin on my chin appears different in comparison with the rest of my face, the texture seems very rough, and slightly lizard-like. If i remeber correctly this area was the toughest to clean when i got my bandages off, as there was vigilon dressing stuck to my chin, so i had to scrub really quite hard in that area. Has anyone else had this same problem? whether it be in the chin area or another part of the face?

Please respond a.s.a.p as i am really starting to worry.

Thank you

MissShady,

I had lots of crusts on my chin too, but I babied it with lots of vaseline, and let it take its time to fall off. Not quite sure what you mean by lizard like texture. My pre-derma texture was pretty tough, but now if you look closely at it under strong white lighting, you can see faint hint of rotary patterns. It is really not that noticeable for someone with rough skin like me. That is the only difference I can tell in terms of texture.

At 6 weeks your skin is still actively remodelling. Try to baby it with good topical (suggestions guys??), I am sure it will look better in a few weeks. I know my skin looked worse at about 7 - 8 weeks, but they look better again now, if not for the redness.

Take care,

Sword

Thanks for the advice sword, i called Dr Y's office and i got to talk to Cassandra, and she advised me to use 1% hydrocortisone cream, for 10-14 days on the rough areas of my chin, so i just hope to god it works!!!

hey misshady, i find it's always best to call dr.y and ask for his suggestion, it's the safest i think.

Also check your PM's smile.gif

Well i can safely say that this hydrocortisone cream i was told to use by Dr Yarborough, isn't working at all in the slightest!! so i think i am well and truly fucked!!!! and i am furious because i never even had any scarring on my chin in the first place!!!!

Well i can safely say that this hydrocortisone cream i was told to use by Dr Yarborough, isn't working at all in the slightest!! so i think i am well and truly fucked!!!! and i am furious because i never even had any scarring on my chin in the first place!!!!  i seriously wish i was dead!  cry.gif

well,I must say if your going to get it done be prepared to go several months with redness over the scars you get crossed.I still have red spots over a couple scars and it will take a little while longer to get it healed hopefully. As far as improvements go, it is minimal at best. Maybe another round of subcision minus the cross(because of the redness) will be beneficial but I'll wait till the redness subsides before I make that call.

misshady keep calling Dr.y and asking him questions, in the end he is the dr who performed the surgery he has to help you out with complications

Seriously though Amnesiac, i don't think that there is anything that he can do or prescribe to get rid of it. I knew the hydrocortisone cream wouldn't work anyway, but i'm desperate therfore i will try anything. But i don't think the skin on my chin is ever going to be the same again. I am absoloutly gutted.

i think it's too early to say that misshady, your skin is still healing.

What exactly is what's happening on your chin?? What triggered it?

Why not consider flying out to Dr.Y i know it's costly but if this may be permanent and you feel so bad about it make the sacrifice, take out a credit card or whatnot but do someting don't focus on the negaive, you went into scar revision for help and improvement.

Hi MissShady, I don't you what you refer to "lizard-like" skin is the same as what I'd been experieced. It happened in 7-8 weeks at my left cheek. At that time, I was shock. It ends up ok after a couple of months. My skin was very tender in week 7-8 post-op and it took some time to heal.

Sorry this happened to you Shady. I know you must be very almared and concerned but please don't jump the gun too fast. Your skin is still healing so don't give up hope. Other than the rough skin on your chin, how did your scars respond to dermabrasion? Did they improve? Thanks and take care.

Amnesiac, going back to america is out of the question for me, as i have no money at all, and there is no way i would get a credit card, as i do not work, due to my scarring. And my family is pretty poor, so they can't help me out either. Also i don't think anything triggered the rough skin on my chin, i think that it is just the way my skin has healed after the dermabrasion, either that or Dr Y ballsed up on that area of my face. Who knows.....? its very depressing.

Dolmal, my skin at this point doesnt feel or appear tender at all in the slightest, and my skin is back to its normal colour, that is was before i had the dermabrasion, i don't look red. Although i've no doubt my skin is still healing as it has only been 7weeks, i just pray to god that the skin on my chin gets better!! eusa_pray.gif

New_guy1, my scarring isn't a great deal different, i maybe got about a 15-20% improvement (at the most) although Dr Y did assure me that the scarring would continue to fill in anyweher up to 9mths after the dermabrasion, so i hope it does! i was thinking about going for another dermabrasion in Decemeber, but my family are trying to talk me out of it, as they don't think that it is worth the risks, as i could end up with this rough skin all over my face next time, and not just on my chin. So that worries me greatly!!

misshast you told me that dr.y said your scarring was mild, what's keeping you from working? having a normal life??

Well i'm going tot ake the jump also even tough there are risks, i need to do this already. Don't woeey misshade it's only been 7 weeks, i'm sure the scarring will improve some more and you will be able to treat the rough skin on your chin.

Have you called Dr.Y again?

Yeah my scarring would be described as mild-moderate, although in my eyes its severe, its the ugliest thing i have ever seen in my life, and i just can't really accept the fact that i am scarred, i suppose i am seriously obsessed with my scarring, i think about it 24/7, and i am diagnosed as having obsessive compulsive dissorder aswell as severe depression and anxiety, which i take medication for daily although i don't think it really helps. so basically this is what keeps me from living a normal life, and until i learn to accept that this is the way i look now i don't think i'll ever be able to live a normal life. Which is sad, i know.

Also i might give Dr Y's office a call tomorrow although i really don't think there is anything he can do, maybe it does just need time, but i have a feeling that the skin on my chin is going to stay like this, its doesnt even really feel like skin, more like candle wax kinda, if that makes sence.

MissShady,

Don't want to sound like a broken record, but my texture went downhill around week 7 - 8, and slowly worked its way up after. One thing is for sure, your skin texture won't look the same 8 weeks from now.

The chin is not the focal point of the face, if you gain 20% improvment from other areas, and smoothen your chin with peels (after you have healed), the overall impression will still be better than pre-derma.

I am grateful to my 15% - 30% improvement, but scar is no longer in my dictionary. If it is any consulation, I realize how much valuable time and energy I have spent on obsessing about my scars, especially when I am still red after 3 months. As soon as I get most of my color back, I shall move on and live my life without thinking about scars again. We don't live forever you know.

Take care,

Sword

sword so is your skin texture bad?

You are still red after 3 months???

Really red? did dr.y say why??

what skintone are you?

I understand what you mean about scar revision, i am about to take the big step too, and life is short but what's it worth if your unhappy with yourself, just like being fat, short, bald etc etc, seeking treatment is nothing out of the ordinary but if you feel your journey is over, you should feel relieved.

cheers

amnesiac,

What I meant was at week 7 -8 my texture looked much worse than it is now.

I have type IV skin.

I am less red (currently at 14 weeks) than a month ago, but still red enough to make me feel uncomfortable in public.

Cass said the average skin tone recovery time is 3 months, take or give a few weeks. At this rate, I'll be happy to get my skin tone back at 24 weeks, that is much longer than I have planned for. Either we have different definition of normal skin tone, or I am an exceptionally slow healer.

Sword

amnesiac,

What I meant was at week 7 -8 my texture looked much worse than it is now.

I have type IV skin.

I am less red (currently at 14 weeks) than a month ago, but still red enough to make me feel uncomfortable in public.

Cass said the average skin tone recovery time is 3 months, take or give a few weeks.  At this rate, I'll be happy to get my skin tone back at 24 weeks, that is much longer than I have planned for.  Either we have different definition of normal skin tone, or I am an exceptionally slow healer.

Sword

Thanks Kipster, I shall keep you posted. Good healing ...

MissShady, how about booking an appointment with a local derm to check your chin? Is medical expense subsidized / covered by the UK government?

Sword

I agree with Sword, it's a good idea to get a local dermatologist to have a look at your skin. I am nearly 4 weeks post-op and thought I had hyperpigmentation, but after seeing my local derm here, he told me that it was just my skin healing and the slight hyperpigmentation would go on its own. So I'm glad I won't need to use the triluma yet. It's hard for Cass and Dr. Y to diagnose over the phone, it's easier for someone to actually see your skin, or perhaps you can take some photos and send them to Dr. Y?