Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the last couple weeks my acne has gotten pretty bad, and even though im more depressed than usual, at school ive been acting more social, acting more like the class clown that i am. so this past week, even though my acne is at its peak, more people are talking to me and wanting to hang out with me than ever before. it makes sense...if you just sit in the corner quietly youll just be that quiet creepy kid with acne...but if you go out and joke around and talk to lots of people, youll see that they really dont notice your bad skin and youll feel much better about yourself. sure there will be some people who might see your acne and think its disgusting, but so what? they have flaws too. be yourself. a lot of people on these boards have a great sense of humor. use it. someone whos not afraid to be funny is much more attractive than someone who hides in the shadows. be social, goof around...youll see how many more people notice you when you walk down the hallway

Guest Avian

Brilliant advice. Contrary to popular belief, it's what's on the inside that counts.

the last couple weeks my acne has gotten pretty bad, and even though im more depressed than usual, at school ive been acting more social, acting more like the class clown that i am. so this past week, even though my acne is at its peak, more people are talking to me and wanting to hang out with me than ever before. it makes sense...if you just sit in the corner quietly youll just be that quiet creepy kid with acne...but if you go out and joke around and talk to lots of people, youll see that they really dont notice your bad skin and youll feel much better about yourself. sure there will be some people who might see your acne and think its disgusting, but so what? they have flaws too. be yourself. a lot of people on these boards have a great sense of humor. use it. someone whos not afraid to be funny is much more attractive than someone who hides in the shadows. be social, goof around...youll see how many more people notice you when you walk down the hallway

I know- whats on the inside really does matter. There was this girl who was a t our school and lets just say she... um.. wasnt too fortunate on the looks front. Anyways she was really loud and always flirting with the guys- and they all seemed to be after her- they loved her.!!!! all the girls wanted to be freinds with her as well- so it just goes to show...

Guest Shjaker
Very good post and true although sadly it can be very hard to put acne out of your mind and give you the confidence you need. Glad to see someone dealing with it though.

Agreed.

I can sometimes make it past my 'shyness' per se and godawful fear of looking people straight in the eyes when I'm talking to them, but once I get that far up the ladder I falter at "Oh god, they're probably staring at my acne" and look away : S

The thing is, when I 'look away' there's no head-turning involved, I just let my eyes wander to the left or right, at the wall, anywhere but the person's eyes. So I'm not even moving my head/skin out of eye-sight [so the acne's still just as visible] but I just feel comfortable knowing... Im ..not watching them.. watching me??

It's weird..

very easy to say yet ultra hard to do......especially when you have already started out being the lonely one (like me), its hard to "get in"

Guest WhyGOD111
Agreed.

I can sometimes make it past my 'shyness' per se and godawful fear of looking people straight in the eyes when I'm talking to them, but once I get that far up the ladder I falter at "Oh god, they're probably staring at my acne" and look away : S

The thing is, when I 'look away' there's no head-turning involved, I just let my eyes wander to the left or right, at the wall, anywhere but the person's eyes. So I'm not even moving my head/skin out of eye-sight [so the acne's still just as visible] but I just feel comfortable knowing... Im ..not watching them.. watching me??

It's weird..

see, i guess i COULD do that.

but i just don't have any desire to talk to majority of people (i hate my school)

i don't want to put on an act, be outgoing and loud because that's not ME.

i dont care too much that i don't try to talk to everyone.

I think you just have to do it. Just sit there with the god-awful feelings of "OHMYGODOHMYGOD!" and try to keep your voice as even as you can while all of it is going on in your head.

After I got clean, I had a very, very hard time talking to people. Aside from the acne/the scarring from picking/ (on my face, it was TERRIBLE!) the track marks/, I just couldn't be comfertable with that squirming panic inside that they were thinking badly of me - even if they were smiling at me! I would wind up walking away SWEATING, literally sweating, with nervouseness.

Then someone pointed out that "Feelings aren't commitments. They are just feelings. Uncomfertable won't kill you." The basic idea was to just SIT with it and continue doing the best I could no matter what I was feeling like inside.

A "fake it till you make it" thing. The funny thing is, it's been over four years since I've done a drug or a drink and sometimes (due to my own mind and it's insecurities) I STILL get nervous that people I've just met and are talking to are thinking I'm white trash or whatever. But I've trained myself to just keep barrelling through it. It's habit now, devolped through pure grit and desperation.

It's not always a graceful sort of determination, and I've got a ton of stories of people thinking I'm wierd because my nervouseness was coming through. But I try, and in the end, that is what counts.

I agree, it sounds nice, and we all would like to do it.  When it comes down to it though, I don't know how too often.