Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been fighting my acne for a long time now. However, just last year it got really terrible. I saw a derm and he gave me some meds: tazorac and clindagel. I took those, my face cleared up a lot. I was left with scars and stuff.

Well, the taz doesn't seem to be working anymore. I made an appt. with a new derm about three months ago. Just recently my face has reverted to the state it was in last year.

Do you guys think I am a candidate? Should I consider? Should I try some other medications before I go on accutane?

as long as you can afford it $$$ do it.

sorry, but everything else is crap compared to accutane. some people get undesireable outcomes but its just not as often as you think. jump into it and by the time its over you will be so happy!!

In my esteemed, not-a-doctor opinion tongue.gif i'd say based on your pictures you are surely an Accutane candidate.

Why did you switch derms? Sometimes your best bet to get an Accutane presciption is to stick with a derm you like and allow them to cycle through the various meds so they are sure that you are unresponsive to them. Few derms will go for Accutane right off the bat. However if you explain the meds you've tried they may be more willing to go for it.

BTW, cute kitty in your slideshow! I have one that looks very similiar except she's a shorthair.

my derm gave me accutane from the start and hardly even talked to me, just straight off he said u can have it, i dont even have seriously bad acne, ur one of the lucky ones tho noggin cause u have acne but at least ur good looking and when u find what works for ur acne then you'll be fine,

I've been fighting my acne for a long time now. However, just last year it got really terrible. I saw a derm and he gave me some meds: tazorac and clindagel. I took those, my face cleared up a lot. I was left with scars and stuff.

Well, the taz doesn't seem to be working anymore. I made an appt. with a new derm about three months ago. Just recently my face has reverted to the state it was in last year.

Do you guys think I am a candidate? Should I consider? Should I try some other medications before I go on accutane?

I would get accutane. If your doctor argues, just press the issue. Of course accutane may make you get more scars from the initial breakout. But I think people have nicer skin over all after accutane. Their topicals suck. they work for a while then the acne comes back 1728736483 times worse.

You are a candidate for Accutane if you have cystic acne. My impression of your pics is that you do have this type of acne, but one can only tell for sure by direct examination. The other type of Accutane candidate is the person who has not-so-bad acne (I know, not a medical term...), but failed conventional therapy.

It is always the providers perogative to decide whether or not you are a candidate. If they feel that you need to go through a trial of a well-thought out conventional regimen, then you should indeed try a few other meds before Accutane.

This might help -- about 10% of my new acne patients get the "possible Accutane" talk on their initial visit. Of those, approx. 75% don't end up needing it because they improved so much. IOW, there's a good chance that you won't need it, if someone treats your acne aggressively....

my derm gave me accutane from the start and hardly even talked to me, just straight off he said u can have it, i dont even have seriously bad acne, ur one of the lucky ones tho noggin cause u have acne but at least ur good looking and when u find what works for ur acne then you'll be fine,

Aw, thanks. I really appreciate your comment.