Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leigh30

Anyone have success with Spironolactone?

Hi everyone! I've been on spiro for about a month now. I have done a lot of research on the drug, and have read these message boards about peoples experiences. (including, Shortee's log - which was extremely helpful!)

Anyway...my question is: I've read about a lot of people have had problems on it (Kelly 1212), but I haven't read too many success stories. Just wondering if there is any out there...or maybe the people who had success are no longer on these boards!?

Any long term users, too?

Thanks & good luck to everyone! biggrin.gif

hi leigh,

I am also on spiro for long term. I started about 3 weeks ago- I already see a huge reduction in the oil production on my face and my hair is also less oily. I am loving it. I did not have an initial breakout (yet) but I don't think I will- if I do it will probably be becasue of the retin- A i just started. Apparently you have to give it 3-4 months (though I read that results are seen often after one month) so we will just have to be patient with it I guess. In regards to my current acne, it is slowly making progress I believe. I recently spoke with a doctor that works alongside my derm (she called to remind me about blood tests) and she seemed very hopeful about spiro working for me. That was reassuring- esp. since she said it out of the blue. Given the type of acne I have (close comedons) and my PCOS symptoms, she thought it would be quite useful. She thought the retin-A micro would also help, but she really stressed that I should see results from spiro in a couple months. We will see. What kind of acne do you have and what results are you seeing so far?

Lolo

Leigh ~ if you haven't already, check out the long Spiro thread on here (17 pages!!). There is a link in my signature. There are a few long-term users and some short-term. You should find it helpful smile.gif Also, I am so glad that my log has helped you! I need to update it soon!

Leigh ~ if you haven't already, check out the long Spiro thread on here (17 pages!!).  There is a link in my signature.  There are a few long-term users and some short-term.  You should find it helpful smile.gif  Also, I am so glad that my log has helped you!  I need to update it soon!

leigh30.... You sound similar to me. I've been on 50mg of spiro a day for a month now, and at first my oil went away, and I was so happy. My skin seemed like it was improving. It was also getting flakey along with the dryness. Now, the oil has returned, maybe slightly less, but not enough that I can say for sure. I am also getting whiteheads in places I usually don't get any pimples. I am breaking out again, but am also expecting my period. I don't know what's going on! I am really hoping this stuff works. Definitely stick with it tho. How much are you taking? Also, is it because of chin acne that your derm thinks it's hormonal?

To whom it may concern:

I've been on Spiro for a year, 100 mg a day and completely clear. I was going to start accutane before this but now there is no need. I think most of the long term users no longer visit cause it does work. I'll be happy to answer what questions you have, I have no adverse side effects.

Rae

To whom it may concern:

I've been on Spiro for a year, 100 mg a day and completely clear. I was going to start accutane before this but now there is no need. I think most of the long term users no longer visit cause it does work. I'll be happy to answer what questions you have, I have no adverse side effects.

Rae

Leigh:

I was on a high estrogen birth control pill (Demulen) and Mino 100 mg a day when I started spiro. So no initial breakout. I swear my skin was clean in a week. Mine was hormonal, had to do with my thyroid, so i was breaking out on my lower jaw and chin area. Works like a charm...

Leigh:

I was on a high estrogen birth control pill (Demulen) and Mino 100 mg a day when I started spiro. So no initial breakout. I swear my skin was clean in a week. Mine was hormonal, had to do with my thyroid, so i was breaking out on my lower jaw and chin area. Works like a charm...

Leigh:

Hi. Well I've been on Demulen 1/35 and 1/50. The 1/50 was a bit TOO much estrogen i.e. moodiness and weight gain. So 1/35 has been a great choice for me. I recently quit taking mino and have no breakouts, I quit mino for the obvious reason of it not mixing with Demlen.

So now: Demulen 1/35, no mino, and 100 mg of Spiro does the trick.

Good luck

Rae

Leigh:

Hi. Well I've been on Demulen 1/35 and 1/50. The 1/50 was a bit TOO much estrogen i.e. moodiness and weight gain. So 1/35 has been a great choice for me. I recently quit taking mino and have no breakouts, I quit mino for the obvious reason of it not mixing with Demlen.

So now: Demulen 1/35, no mino, and 100 mg of Spiro does the trick.

Good luck

Rae

I just got Spiro and was wondering about the reults...I must say I've been on it for 2 days and I already feel less oily, i bet it's going to work:)...I think I'm just getting excited now but hey only time will tell for sure....

Leigh:

Yes I was too scared of taking MINO out, but it hasn't been a problem at all. And with my old skin I thought I'd never stop breaking out and now skin causes me no worries.

Rush:

Give it 2 or 3 months for full effect.

I just wanna say that yes sometimes your acne can be cured even when you think its impossible. Happened to me.

Rae

Leigh:

Yes I was too scared of taking MINO out, but it hasn't been a problem at all. And with my old skin I thought I'd never stop breaking out and now skin causes me no worries.

Rush:

Give it 2 or 3 months for full effect.

I just wanna say that yes sometimes your acne can be cured even when you think its impossible. Happened to me.

Rae