Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrSocks55

Alcohol on Accutane

I know you guys must always get the question "Is it okay to drink while on accutane...?" But this question is a bit different.

I used to drink a little bit, but when I went on accutane I stopped completely. However, I am going to a very important party this weekend with some friends and it will be necessary to have a few drinks to be social.

When I say "a few drinks," I mean that I would only have at MOST 3 shots of hard liquor, and maybe 1 beer. After this, I would never drink again while on accutane (honestly.)

Do you think it is okay to have only this little bit of alcohol for 1 night during the entire time of my 6-month course of accutane?

And if you think it is okay to drink just this little bit, would that possibly flare up my acne even though its not that much alcohol?

Thank you.

I know you guys must always get the question "Is it okay to drink while on accutane...?" But this question is a bit different.

I used to drink a little bit, but when I went on accutane I stopped completely. However, I am going to a very important party this weekend with some friends and it will be necessary to have a few drinks to be social.

When I say "a few drinks," I mean that I would only have at MOST 3 shots of hard liquor, and maybe 1 beer. After this, I would never drink again while on accutane (honestly.)

Do you think it is okay to have only this little bit of alcohol for 1 night during the entire time of my 6-month course of accutane?

And if you think it is okay to drink just this little bit, would that possibly flare up my acne even though its not that much alcohol?

Thank you.

Guest Craigems

it'll be fine. just drink a shitload of water after, coz its gonna hit you hard coz u aint used to it.

Hit me hard?

You mean you think I would get drunk after only 3 shots because I haven't drinken in a long while?

I'm not looking to get drunk, im just looking to have a good time. How much do you think I could drink without getting drunk, knowing that I havent drinken in a long time?

hey there,

Im on accutane 40mg and I've noticed that everytime I drink alcohol I get 1 or 2 new pimples the next day, dont know why eusa_think.gif

Yeah I really wouldn't worry too much about that. I asked my dermatologist the other day if it was alright if I drank while on Accutane, and he said that he didn't see why it would be a problem. So, who knows?

Guest Craigems

Yeh usually if u havent drunk for a while, you'll get drunk alot quicker. So just take it easy and dont take all 3 shots within the space of 5mins... give each shot at least 20mins just so u know ur safe and wont be magged b4 u know it.

I'm on 40mgs a day, and I've found that while I don't get drunk faster, I DO get dehydrated MUCH faster. If I have a couple drinks, I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a killer headache, like I was pounding shots all night.

Having said that, my blood work has come back great and I've not broken out at all after drinking. You will DEFINITELY want to drink a ton of water at that party, though. Seriously. Have a drink, then drink a giant glass of water. Then have another drink, then gulp more water. If only to save yourself from the dehydration hangover.

I'm on 40mgs a day, and I've found that while I don't get drunk faster, I DO get dehydrated MUCH faster. If I have a couple drinks, I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a killer headache, like I was pounding shots all night.

Having said that, my blood work has come back great and I've not broken out at all after drinking. You will DEFINITELY want to drink a ton of water at that party, though. Seriously. Have a drink, then drink a giant glass of water. Then have another drink, then gulp more water. If only to save yourself from the dehydration hangover.

I find myself feeling depressed the next day coz acholol is a depressant and tane makes me feel depressed so bassicly i feel pretty wank the next day lol eusa_dance.gif tane also makes me get drunk slower and kills my need for UTTER FUCKUP... damn u taney rolleyes.gif

i went on accutane 60mg for 31 weeks, and i got pisseed bout every fortnight---being bout 10 beers and bout 5 shots,,,,,,,,,,,,,it didnt do that much harm, will internally im prob fucked but who cares....its whatt u gotta do to live it up in OZ

the issue with accutane and drinking is your liver, not your skin. and all this talk about whether or not you will get drunk after a few shots because you havent drank in awhile...it depends on your body weight and your tolerance, so nobody can really give you that informatin without knowing those facts. if you've already had blood tests, and liver enzymes came back normal, you clearly dont have any liver problems. if you drink a few shots, considering your body weight etc are in normal range, you should be relatively fine. if your next blood test isnt within a close rrange of when you drink, it probably wont affect your results on your liver enzymes, but that doesnt mean it doesnt affect them, you just wont know. i doubt it will affect them, assuming everything is relatively healthy. just dont make it a habit, whats the point in doing smoething that could potentially alter a treatment that nobody wants to repeat?

Occasional moderate drinking is generally alright on Accutane. I drink 3-4 pints a night about twice a week and am fine 1 month into it. There are however some things you might want to bear in mind.

One of the keys to a good night of drinking is NOT to mix drinks very much or better yet at all, i.e. hard liquor and beer. Best thing to do is avoid hard liquor altogether; I saw Colin Farrell down in my favorite pub here in Dublin 2 weeks ago and he was out drinking all night because I could see that he mostly just drinks beer and doesn't do shots, sticks with Amstel Light and pale lagers, while his buddies where downing shot after shot and falling all over the floor shouting at the passing girls, generally making arses of themselves. If you stick to beer you're still sociable and when the guys crowd around you and chant "Come on man let's all do shots!" there's the appeal of the brotherhood thing but trust me it ain't worth it. If the macho peer pressure looms over you just say, "Nah for me nothing beats a good beer".

You'll be MUCH better off if you just stick to beer, plus you can really take your time with a can/bottle and people won't know if it's your first/second/tenth helping. You'll be getting that perfect buzz magically midway between sobriety and inebriation, where you're still fully aware of what's going on but lubed up enough to be a funnier, more effortlessly charming version of yourself and to start making your smooth moves on the cute girl (who, bear in mind, may only look cute because of those thick-ass beer goggles you've got on), while your buddies start piggyback-fighting each other like morons. If you're really concerned about minimizing the effect of alcohol whether while on Accutane or in general, here are the best tips you could follow:

(1) Drink a full glass of milk before you start drinking: this coats the inside of your stomach and as the casein in milk is such a slow-digesting protein this seriously slows down the stomach's absorption of the alcohol, majorly minimizing the effect of even several pints over 2-3 hours; this is a time-honoured secret for how to be a sociable drinker without getting drunk

(2) Drink at least a glass of water for every alcoholic drink

(3) Take 1-2 capsules milk thistle and 1-2 capsules vitamin C for every alcoholic drink within 1 hour of the drink itself; also works taken altogether just before bed with a full glass of water to virtually eliminate any possibility of hangover whatsoever. This shit works so well it's almost scary, and it's perfectly safe. The milk thistle and vitamin C basically give your liver a shot of nitrous (kinda like that scene in Fast and The Furious except here the street racing car is your liver) and so your liver can then filter out the alcohol from your bloodstream several times more powerfully and quickly than usual

(4) Don't mix drinks; i.e. drink either just beer, or just wine, or just shots; but best to avoid shots altogether

(5) If you ever feel a need to throw up, throw up