Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gurra

Flax seed oil. (Omega-3)

smile.gif Helo everyone!

I will write here and see what happens with my skin. I have tried everything. Roa worked great but oufcourse when you quit it comes back after a while.

I take a tablespoon flax seed oil per day. Taste great! biggrin.gif

Ok, now I haven been taken it for 5 days and I can see a positive difference already. I dont want to fly away but so far so god. smile.gif

I have alot of sebum in the T-zone and sort of dry and flaky on other parts. The flakyness looks better.

It feels like the sebum that is coming out has changed in some way. It looks and seems different.

Thats it for today.

Have a nice day! biggrin.gif

Omega-6 is proinflammation. It is the bad ratio of omega-6 / omega-3 that makes our skin bad. Today the ratio is about 20/1 . Our hunter/fisher diet is wat about 1/1 . Today we need extra Omega-3. Not omega-6!

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Acne%...0Letter%201.pdf

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Acne%...0Letter%202.pdf

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Acne%...0Letter%203.pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...t_uids=10743032

[immunonutrition with omega-3-fatty acids. Are new anti-inflammatory strategies in sight?]

[Article in German]

Heller A, Koch T.

Klinik und Poliklinik fur Anasthesiologie und Intensivtherapie, Universitatsklinikum Carl Gustav Carus, Technischen Universitat Dresden. [email protected]

In the early phase of sepsis and SIRS an overwhelming activation of humoral and cellular mediator systems can alter vascular resistance and causes capillary leakage increasing the risk of organ dysfunction. omega-6-arachidonic acid is released from lipid pools of cellular membranes during inflammation and is metabolized to pro-inflammatory prostaglandins and leukotriens, which are key mediators in the pathogenesis of organ dysfunction. omega-3-eicosapentaenoic acid-derived lipid mediators present altered biologic effects. Thus, omega-3-fatty acid application enables anti-inflammatory intervention on the level of lipid mediators. The current article reviews experimental and clinical data on omega-3-fatty acids. Besides the decrease of pro-inflammatory mediators, fish oil supplementation lowered post operative infection rates and showed a tendency to reduce hospital stay in surgical patients. It is believed that the decreased formation of LTB4 and TXA2 during sepsis after administration of omega-3-fatty acids accounts for improved microcirculatory perfusion and declined lactate acidosis

I just started taking some omega 3-6-9 softgels which contain fish oil, flax oil, and borage oil. I've also started dabbing a bit of rosehips oil over my body acne and now using emu oil as moisturizer, I used some last night and my skin feels so soft today. biggrin.gif

I take flaxseed oil pills and borage oil 1000mg and grapefruit seed extract. They work well together to keep me clear. When I stopped all three of them i started breaking out again.

I just started taking some omega 3-6-9 softgels which contain fish oil, flax oil, and borage oil. I've also started dabbing a bit of rosehips oil over my body acne and now using emu oil as moisturizer, I used some last night and my skin feels so soft today.  biggrin.gif

Been on the flax seed oil now for a week and my skin has become really dry. Like I was on accutane or something. Glad because I use to have oily skin. smile.gif

Well thanks for the update! Hmm maybe I should try some of that. Yeah my skin get's really oily noticible about 4 hrs after I have showered and moisturized (oil free).

Did you have similar problems? Also have u noticed whether it has caused u to break out more and maybe in new areas? or is you acne getting better or the same?

Anyone else?

Thanks a lot!

My acne gets better.

I am gonna put on some emu oil for the dry parts at night.

95 % clear now after 10 day with Flax seed oil! Amazing! smile.gif

I use emu oil as moisturizer for the dry parts in my face some nights. Works great.

Just purchased my first bottle of flax oil today. Wondering if you guys are taking it straight up or putting it on or in something. Thanks

Yeah I bought some yesterday and am taking the liquid twice a day. It doesn't taste great at all but I think its best to just take it all at once and get the bad taste out of the way. I tried some with Oatmeal this morning but it ruined my breakfast. Im just gonna take it as is.

Hopefully this helps with my oily skin.

Ps. Thx for the update once again Gurra!

Guest delta force operators

flax seed oil always broke me out..i would read how good it wasfor the skin and starttaking it again but it broke me out..i dunno why..

smile.gif  Helo everyone! 

I will write here and see what happens with my skin. I have tried everything. Roa worked great but oufcourse when you quit it comes back after a while.

I take a tablespoon flax seed oil per day. Taste great!  biggrin.gif

Could you tell me how your acne was at the start of this flax oil experiment?  Mild, moderate, cysts? Thanks.

Some info why it does not work good for some people.

Flaxseed oil contains an abundance of the omega-3 fatty acid called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). ALA by itself is not directly anti-inflammatory but, by increasing the omega-3 load, it dampens the activity of the omega-6 pathways through competitive inhibition. Perhaps more importantly, it is converted to the profoundly anti-inflammatory ecosanoid called ecosapentanoic acid (EPA). This conversion is generally inefficient and not everyone performs this conversion well. The result has been some inconsistencies in the results seen with flaxseed oil alone

http://www.ophthalmologytimes.com/ophthalm...il.jsp?id=52547

To convert ALA to EPA to series prostaglandins, the diet should provide optimum amounts amounts of the conversion co-factors: vitamin B3, B6, C and the minerals: Magnesium and Zinc. Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill, Udo Erasmus, p.282

The rate at which the average human body can convert ALA to EPA has been measured to be 2.7% per day of the ALA administered. If the person also gets the recommended amounts essential nutrients which are vital co-factors for conversion of ALA to EPA, especially B3, B6, C, magnesium, and zinc, the conversion rate can be higher.

So, what is the best source of omega 3?

The answer is that there is benefit in both ALA and EPA/DHA.

ALA, particularly from flax has beneficial properties that EPA/DHA from fish oil does not, and vice versa.

Benefits of Flax

Flax seed contains lignan, a substance that has been proven by research to have anti-cancer properties. Flax seed and seed oil, when combined with other foods, help stabilize blood sugar, reduce insulin production, reduce triglycerides, lower cholesterol, and speed fat burning. Flax seeds and their oils are also convenient to use with foods, and more stable than fish oil. You can add the oil or seeds to your EnergyFirst Shake , salad dressings, vegetables, yogurt, cottage cheese, or your favorite raw nut butters (which is a great way to increase your children's intake of omega 3 fats).

Benefits of Fish Oil

EPA and DHA have been recognized by researchers as being vitally important to achieving optimal health, energy, and longevity. EPA and DHA are the building blocks for the cells in your vital organs and your body requires these Omega-3s to function properly. Clinical research has shown EPA and DHA help support:

http://www.ffnmag.com/ASP/527/Display-Article

This page has got som good info. And also references to two studies about the conversion rate for men and women. It shows that women have a much higher conversion rate than men. For women estimated net fractional conversion of ALA to EPA was 21 per cent and ALA to DHA was 9 per cent. That is alot. eusa_clap.gif I am jealous... biggrin.gif