Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
danno123

6 week old Cyst on Chin

Hi everyone,

I have had a cyst on my chin for over 6 weeks. It is deep and i dont want to leave it there for months on end.. cause i always feel that the longer it stays under the skin, the more chance of it leaving a scar.

Has anyone ever tried to prick it with a pin in order to get some of the bacteria out?

I did this for a cyst on my lower jaw once. The cyst emptied and then filled back up. This kept repeating for about2 weeks, until it finally dried up and left. I wasnt left with any scarring from this, though it was unsightly while it was out of control.

The cysts i have waited to surface, after months and months, have always left depressions in my skin. I havent had to many in my life but when i do it definitely gets me worried.

So, any advice? Has anyone had any success using a pin to drain or is this a HUGE no-no?

I am fearful of cortisone shots cause i dont want it to leave a mark in my skin either.

Danno

I had pimples that lasted three months HUGE ONES while I was on accutane.

I used to do the pin thing with success for draining cysts but lately I have been hesitant. First of all, I'm in my late twenties and I don't think my skin is as resilliant as it was when in my teens - therefore I may run a greater risk of scarring if I pick at anything. Secondly, the last everlasting cyst I had on my chin was around for several months and the pin prick didn't do anything except make a red spot and make the darn cyst bigger... maybe I just didn't go deep enough but anyhow I gave up and just decided to wait it off. Slowly it has been going down in size - As long as it isn't red, sore or too big, then I'm happy

I've done it all to my cysts. I've left them alone and they leave a scar. I've had them injected with cortisone and they left a scar. I've drained them myself and they left a scar. Any method is a crapshoot.

I would be careful about draining it yourself. I recently tried to do that on a real deep one and it just aggravated it more and it grew about 3 times the size and then I had to have it injected because it was almost the size of a quarter. Be careful. The draining thing works better if you can see any type of whitehead on the surface, so you know at least some of it will come out.

dont know about your type of skin and regimen you r on,but I wouldnt recommend u to touch it , just leave it alone !

I used to get those kind of cysts before , but they cleared up after using Retin A for almost 2 months (retinA didnt help to clear all my pimples , but at least it helped me to get rid of the Big cysts without scarring) cool.gif

THanks EVeryone for commenting!

I JUST finished with 3 sessions of ALA photo Dynamic Therapy. Cleared me up real good except for the two cysts on my chin and some mild acne on forehead. But my skin is still oily so i imagine it will all start to come back soon.

I only did that when I could see a whitehead. Usually those deep cysts were the ones that hurt the most and I mostly did it to relieve the pressure behind the darn zit. I tried to not do it too often because I was too afraid of making it worse. I don't really get those deep cysts anymore, thankfully. But I did my best to not do anything to irritate it. I would let it drain, clean it and then put BP or sulfur type medication on it.

I use a hot compress and then I normally see a small white dot on top. I stick my pin in it and vuala! It's gone without a scar.

I had a cyst on my chin whilst on ro-acc and it were there for weeks maybe even months

I left it well alone and when it finally deceided to depart it didnt leave no traces behind.

I suggest you do the same smile.gif

I had a cyst on my cheek for about eight years! It was almost invisble, but it was large and flat and drove me crazy. It didn't hurt but I finally had a derm remove it. He actually had to cut it out. He also warned that it would really stink and it did.

I've had a few other cysts similar to that one, but not so big and they stuck around for years also, until removed by a derm. I found now though, that if I get one, I heat it up and stick with a pin and try to drain it. Most times it takes a few procedures to get rid of it. When I see blood.... I know I got it all.

definitely get a cortisone injection. from my experience there is nothinggg you can do to get rid of the cyst yourself! if you try, it will maybe scar. see what your derma thinks about injections..they've alwayss worked for me.

Mine tend to be extremely deep and painful. I have been hesitant to wear white shirts for quite some time because you never know what's going on everywhere.

I've found that diabetic needles are way too small to do anything but pet shops have big, sterile needles for vaccines and such that work well and are so sharp you barely feel them.

I wouldn't advocate doing it yourself but I've had good success this way.

i have needled and drained my cyst on my jaw twice and there still a red bump that i can feel and poke. Somtimes it gets inflammed. Not sure if i should try this again? i need to get rid of it.

i havent had cysts in over ten years, now that i am 32 yrs old, the cysts are back. I have some anxiety and i think thats when they come. i have two big cysts on my chin, the exact location is on the (goatee) line of my face. I work in law enforcement and this has proven embarassing in uniform. i often hide my face or talk to someone from a side angle hoping they dont catch a glimpse of these cysts. I Just went to the dermatologists and she prescribed me this EPIDUO gel and said this is really good stuff. I hoe this works, its been a week adn a half and although they slightly shrunk they are very much visible. Can anyone please tell me any soltions, my face is extremely oily and now i am starting to really focus on my skin. any solutions, can a concealer help?

I get cysts on my chin all the time, unfortunately. I'm 39 y/o and still getting them. Def. hormonal. I've gotten cortisone shots over the years and like another commenter said it's a crapshoot, sometimes they dent sometimes they don't. Mine last for months too. As annoying as it is I try to leave them be until they form a white head where I can literally see the puss telling me it's ready to burst and I help it along with a squeeze.

Usually this method works, they drain and flatten leaving just a red mark behind that fades over time. If I do nothing and don't pop they never seem to drain on their own, just regain strength and stick around forever, also risking a scar....

I've never tried to needle them on my own so I can't speak to that but is not something I would recommend.

I made the mistake today of popping one that I thought was ready because I saw a whitehead - I was wrong! Couldn't get any liquid out at all and now I have angered it even more. I keep putting Aczone on it to help w/ the inflammation. My dermo recently prescribed it to me as one of the few topicals that is supposed to work on the inflamed type of cystic acne. I hope it works on mine.

Good luck.

Please put extra cautious to cysts on chin. I have suffered huge cysts on chin for almost nine years. In the beginning, I had no idea about how to treat them and guess what, I am now suffering from tens of tiny keloid scars :( Stay away from all the foods that can cause scars. By Asian belief, we don't eat kangkong and eggs.

Good luck :)

P.S.: I almost forget to add that Doxicycline (previously) and Accutane (currently) help me kill those monster with no single mark left.

i havent had cysts in over ten years, now that i am 32 yrs old, the cysts are back. I have some anxiety and i think thats when they come. i have two big cysts on my chin, the exact location is on the (goatee) line of my face. I work in law enforcement and this has proven embarassing in uniform. i often hide my face or talk to someone from a side angle hoping they dont catch a glimpse of these cysts. I Just went to the dermatologists and she prescribed me this EPIDUO gel and said this is really good stuff. I hoe this works, its been a week adn a half and although they slightly shrunk they are very much visible. Can anyone please tell me any soltions, my face is extremely oily and now i am starting to really focus on my skin. any solutions, can a concealer help?

Is that Epiduo working for you? If not, have you tried sulfur? Sulfur works great for cysts. Try Adult Acnomel (8% sulfur), it's sold in drugstores. Gets rid of my cysts in 2-3 days.