Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cindyvbl

Period and acne

My acne gets worse before my period and a week after? Is there a good prduct or vitamin to use to alleviate this?-spironolactone?

I've noticed around that time of the month it's breakout city for me also, and since there is a lot of bleeding it is lowering the amount of zinc you have in your body and possibly cause anemia(lack of zinc in the blood) not to mention that having your period in itself is stressful which is a good reason why we suffer. My only suggestion I can give is to try taking more zinc, I don't know if it will help, but it's worth a shot. eusa_think.gif

I've noticed around that time of the month it's breakout city for me also, and since there is a lot of bleeding it is lowering the amount of zinc you have in your body and possibly cause anemia(lack of zinc in the blood) not to mention that having your period in itself is stressful which is a good reason why we suffer. My only suggestion I can give is to try taking more zinc, I don't know if it will help, but it's worth a shot. eusa_think.gif

The April 2003 issue of this journal reports on a two-year study of Vitamin B6/ menstrual acne flares.

http://www.aocd.org/jaocd/archive.html

Premenstrual acne flare (PAF) is a common condition among female acne patients. Vitamin B6 is used by some physicians to treat this condition. This study provides statistical data in support of Vitamin B6 therapy for the treatment of premenstrual acne flare. There are 67 female participants in this study. Among the 57 patients in the 100mg treatment group, 19 patients (33%) perceive

no response while 38 patients (66%) experience positive response. Among the 21 patients in the 200mg treatment group, 5 patients (24%) did not experience any improvement of their premenstrual acne flare, while 16 patients (76%) experienced improvement with the treatment. The results of 100 mg treatment group (p<0.001) and 200 mg treatment group (p<0.001) were both statistically

significant against the baseline rating. The use of Vitamin B6 in the treatment of premenstrual acne flare provides both clinically and statistically significant results.

I haven't tried B6--just happened on this when I was looking for something else.

I think you mean iron..........anemia is an iron deficiency.

But besides that, people have had some success with taking zinc supplemnts for their acne.

When it comes to hormones affecting acne, especially around that time of the month, a supplement by the name of Chaste Tree Berry (a.k.a. Agnus Castus) is suppose to help with this problem, amongst other things.

You can try to look into a product that contains the chaste tree, and also red clover.

You may find it helps with your hormonal breakouts.

i have this problem too....i want to avoid the period acne...the B6 isnt helpin yet...

and i havent noticed BC doing much for that time in particular

hmmm

idunno what else we can do

B6 100mg/day http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/80391 AND Chastetree 400mg capsule x 4 per day (vitex agnus castus) http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/86318. Do this daily starting 1 week before period through to 1 week after period, consistently.

I shared this 'secret' with both my sisters and 2 ex-girlfriends and none of them ever suffered menstrual breakouts again.

The supplement to really be avoided if on BC is St. John's Wort as it has been known to interact with birth control reducing its effectiveness-- which is obviously bad if you don't want to get pregnant, which is presumably the case if you're on BC! As for B6 and Agnus Castus, both are fine, but if you have any doubts you should of course take this up with your own physician. While you're at it why not look into an oral contraceptive with especially anti-androgenic properties with proven benefits for acne? There are many such products worth trying. Bring it up with your physician-- this could be the solution you are looking for. Females have a great advantage over males in that anti-androgenic oral contraceptives can often more or less completely resolve their acne, whereas males have no such option of hormonal treatment and in cases of more severe acne have their options essentially limited to Accutane and all the risks it entails. Talk to your doctor about all this, they'll help you out. smile.gif

chastetree, like antony said, is really good. i didn't take b6 like he said. i just took chastetree consistently for about 2 months (not on and off). i think you're supposed to take for about 3 months. anyway, it seems to have helped me!

i even tried primerose and it didnt help....i keep getting acne around the mouth area cry.gif

Any girls suffering from premenstral breakouts should go on Diane 35 it has estrogen and antiandrogen it will help your acne because acne is caused by androgen because it produces more oil therefore no androgen no pimples thats why babies have clear skin because they dont have hormone problems

I tried ortho tri cyclen and broke out worse than I had in my entire life. I also had a period that lasted for 2 weeks. BC is NOT always the answer, and from what I've read, it doesn't work for a lot of people. In addition, it is a risk factor for developing candida.

The week before my period and during my period, I am VERY good to myself, and this not only keeps the acne away, but also the cramps. I drink NO coffee or alcohol, NO sugar, start every day with lemon water, and fresh carrot juice if I can. Drink lots of water. Make sure to get a big salad every day. But I think the most important thing I do is yoga. Regular yoga keeps me from being stressed out, plus physically, it is very beneficial, keeps me regular and helps regulate hormones.

All the above are things I strive to do everyday anyway, but if I've been slacking off a little, I make sure to climb back on board the week before my period. I noticed a long time ago, even before I had acne, that if I was overboard on the coffee and sugar leading up to my period, I PAID for it with VERY painful cramps.

I started to do yoga but only for a couple days..........

I still felt stressed...........Maybe its the tapes i have.

BoNessa

Hmm....I would love to take classes...........

I just got this job and I work a lot....I used to be in Hip-Hop classes and i wanted to go back to that too........Its just this job now. I really do want to go to yoga classes actually..............

BoNessa

And thanks cjb

you're welcome. I understand, really. Yoga was something I wanted to try for a long time before I actually did it. I was walking past a studio one day, and it just hit me.. I can say "I want to try that" forever, but at some point I just gotta DO it! So I walked in and signed up. I understand about the job thing too, but damn, yoga is so expensive these days, you HAVE to have a job to pay for it!

Antony,

You suggest 400 mg of Vitex 4 times daily? That seems like a lot. I'm doing 500 mg daily and it's taken 2 months for my body to adjust. I'm sure you're no expert, but wouldn't it be better to take a lower dosage consistently every day rather than just before and after that time of the month? It's like your body can't regulate to it. Not to mention, I lose track of my cycle all the time and taking something daily is far more easier. I was just wondering. (You seem like a pretty sensible guy with good advice)

Has anyone found any scientific evidence/ explanation of the way Vitex works? It would be good to know what I'm putting my body through! I could stop being lazy myself and check around online. I'll post if I find anything interesting and/or informative.

Oh, and to the rest of you, we have a jawline acne thread going in another part of the forum (wish i could remember which part it's in now!). That thread deals with hormonal acne issues, as well. If I stop being lazy, I'll find it and post the link.

-Julie