Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lawgus

Just Had CO2 Laser 2 Hours Ago...

I'm not computer literate, or else I would post pictures that I'm sure the acne.org community would like to see. I will try to post the pre-op/post-op pics on this site (when I learn how).

But wow! Let me share this experience.....

First---me---I have moderate to severe scars (I got acne in the 5th grade, had horrible-didn't-go-out-in-public cystic acne throughout high school and college, and still get breakouts today, I am 35----lets do the math--approx 23 years of acne....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!) I tried creams, exfoliants, microdermabrasion, smoothbeam crap, injections, glycolic and tca peels, diamondtome--finally I said -give me the damn C02. The cost was (I live in NY State) $3300 for the whole face, my doctor reduced it to $2400 since I've spent thousands on the aforementioned procedures.

Just went in today. The visiting technician warned me I will pobably need a second treatment in 6 mos to a year because of my scarring level. They gave me valium and vicodin and pumped my face with local anesthesia. (Important note if you get this done----make sure your entire face is numb- my doctor told me he can administer the anesthesia he thinks I need, but I have to tell him if the numbness doesn't reach everywhere. Make sure you focus on the temples, hairline and jawline---because--wow! I have never experienced that kind of pain in my life) The procedure took 2 hours because he did 2 1/2 passes. It zaps your face in a "postage stamp sized" area with what feels like a severe electric shock. Where I was properly anesthesized I didn't feel a thing. Where I wasn't------ohmygod! Absolute hell. Now my skin is bright red with white streaks of dead skin and oozing with oil (I have guaze on it) It really doesn't look that bad, however it is suppose to look worse in the next few days. Tomorrow I am suppose to be in a lot of pain, right now I just feel badly sunburned. But I'm on valium and vicodin so I'm flying-------weeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Notice the long post -due to my drugged-out state. As for my skin--It looks terrific-the best it has looked since 4th grade. Although here is the rib- my skin is so inflammed, I have no pitted scars left. Doc said they may come back after the swelling subsides. Oh well, I'll keep you all posted. (And I won't be as longwinded) Sorry.

My point to all of this thus far (although it may be subject to change) is this: Yes, it is expensive; yes, it hurt like a b****, but right now I wished I would have forgoed the lame creams and micro crap and just had this done a year ago. I think I would have saved money in the long run and been a lot happier.

Ok, day 2 everyone.

Just as the doctor said, I woke up with pretty bad pain. Imagine the worst sunburn you have ever experienced and double that....I took a picture of myself because I am oozing with oil and I have weird yellow patchy marks where it isn't red and bloody. I look like a raw, well-basted Thanksgiving turkey.

If someone could tell me how to post a digital camera photo from Kodak EasyShare software to this post I would love for all of you to see how pretty I look.(I'm sure its easy to do, I am just clueless).

I took 2 extra strength excedrins and a valium. About an hour later I took a vicodin. Now I feel pain-free and giddy. wacko.gif

As for my scarring: My forehead had small bumps with pock marks- now, except for the oozing, it seems perfectly smooth. My temples were the worst, tons of pock marks and now it looks great. The temples on my skin look like I never had horrible, evil acne in my life. However, let me reiterate--my temples are the most swollen of my face and doc said as the swelling resides, some of the pitting will return.....Great! Love it!..........Around my mouth and chin I have keloid scars, 2 of them very bad (one looks like a 1 1/2 inch knife wound) I don't think the CO2 did much to improve that....oh well...Harrison Ford has one on his chin and people think he's sexy...........

One more thing, on my cheeks and nose I have the largest pores in the free world. The surgeon warned me with laser they could actually get bigger due to the cutting down of the skin and the fact that they drain out all the junk inside them....well, so far I can't even see a pore on my skin---so this is a bonus.

hi there, i had CO2 and Erbium laser done about 7 months ago and I too had the same effects you are describing. My face post laser was swollen and my scars did dissapear, but eventually all the scars come back. The first month, my face did look better and my scars did look smoother (and my pores where gone) but all of that changed around the second month where my indents seemed to get worse. During months 3-4-5 and 6 my scars looked worse than they did pre-laser. My doctor said that this is due to the fact that she went around the scar with the laser to try and get the surface around it flatter so the scar can look shallower.....Anyway....the reason I am writing this is because you should keep your expectations realistic. Your scars will unfortunately come back, they may improve but you need to give it 6 months before you evaluate the final outcome. In the meantime, your face will be undergoing changes on a daily basis. Make sure you stay out of the sun and moisturise. good luck

Well gee thanks "Koula"

I wanted to keep the acne.org community posted on my personal experiences with the CO2 laser because I'm sure people out there have thought about trying it and since I wanted to risk it, I thought you all might like a play-by-play.

Apparently "Koula" has all the answers... so I won't bother.

Sorry to waste all of your time...............

Koula, I really don't think you should be so negative. Obviously he's going through a really hard time right now being post surgery and everything. Though I know you were trying to keep his expectations real, optimism is hard to come by. If he's happy with the progress, that's all that matters. Also, each person is different with a different situation and different manner of healing.

Lawgus, I hope you do post pics and that you do keep us updated. Congratulations onyour courage. I do also hope to do this procedure. Thank you for posting.

Your post is not wasting my time. I hope you continue to have a great result. Results will no doubt vary by patient, so please keep us updated. I'd be curious as to whether you develop any hypopigmentation. I've been told that is a risk with ablative lasers.

Well gee thanks "Koula"

I wanted to keep the acne.org community posted on my personal experiences with the CO2 laser because I'm sure people out there have thought about trying it and since I wanted to risk it, I thought you all might like a play-by-play.

Apparently "Koula" has all the answers... so I won't bother.

Sorry to waste all of your time...............

hey, i live in australia and am planning on getting laser in the coming weeks. i have just had some scar revisions done on my face, where he cut out and stitched up all the deeper scars ... i was fully asleep during that process

i'm just wondering why you weren't under general anesetic (asleep)?? that's insane. i would want to be put asleep.

was your treatment done in a hospital??

i was told that i will be put asleep and i will wake up with bandages over my face (like a mummy) which stay on for a week.

anyway hope that it get's better, i have heard great results from around here!!

hopefully the laser will get rid of all my scars, especially the big one.

cheers

Pete