Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
catfood

Accutane users: Post-treatment question, help!

How long did it take after your treatment for your skin to become oily again? And how oily was it - back to the pre-Accutane amount, or did it decrease?

I'm just now coming off a 6 month treatment and I'm terrified of getting oily skin again. I absolutely loved getting through the day without feeling like I wanted to wash my face at lunch, right after work, etc. Now I can go all day and into the night and my skin still feels great...I hope that will last.

Does it???

My oil reduced almost 90%. I've been off Tane for quite some time, (4 or 5 months i think) and the oil still isnt really coming back. It did a little on my nose, but before Tane my nose was oily five seconds after washing.

Thanks for the reply.

I'm just scared to go off treatment. I know some people have frustrations with Accutane, but for me, it's been a complete miracle. I had pretty severe cystic acne (not severe in quantity, but in quality...grape-sized cysts) and Accutane cleared me immediately. No initial breakout, nothing. Also, my makeup stayed on all day, I wouldn't have to make excuses to go home wash my oil slick of a face...it's been heaven! I know how "normal" people live!

So I'm just nervous about going off. Thanks for the encouragement, though.

catfood-

Hey! I'm glad to hear that you are having normal skin. I want that..SO BAD. I cant get through the morning without my face becoming an oil slick, it's disgusting. I also have severe acne in the sense of quality, not quantity. Right now, on my cheek next to my nose.. I have a cyst that is dime sized, and really round... (I.E. more outside of the skin than under the skin) And it is so embarassing.

Anyway..So you cleared immediately? That's so awesome. What was your dosage like, height, and weight? Thanks!

Hello -

Actually, this is my second round of Accutane, but I don't really count the first one as I cut my treatment way too short (various reasons). I figure that's why I needed a second round. But both times, my skin got dry (but not too dry!) immediately and I cleared up right away. This round, I haven't had a cyst since the day I took my first pill.

I varied between 40 and 60 mg a day, started smaller and increased. I'm 5'4" and weigh about 130 pounds. Oh, I'm female if I didn't mention that.

"Normal" people don't realize what it's like to have an oil slick face! They don't realize what a luxury it is to go out for drinks after work, for example. I always used to rush home, wash my face, and redo my make up before going anywhere. Pain in the ass.

I know it's not for everyone, but I am a huge fan of Accutane. I'd stay on it for the rest of my life if it were healthy/cost effective! My biggest symptom? Chapped, peeling lips. So what? Just make sure you have blistex on hand.

The stuff is amazing, it really is. Just wish I'd tried it sooner. If so, I'd have perfect skin. Now, I have moderate scarring from all the cysts. I really encourage people, especially people like you and me with cysts, to look into Accutane. Scars caused by cysts are, at best extremely expensive to fix, and at worst, impossible. I've come to terms with mine, I think, but I still think about them every day and it affects my self-confidence and my relationships.

My point: don't sit back and wait. Don't try and screw with your diet, don't mess with topicals, don't expect water and lemon juice or time to cure you. Cystic acne is evil and it needs hardcore treatment!

Anyway...sorry for the little rant...just trying to keep others from experiencing the same embarrassment, low self esteem and everything else I went through before very reluctantly takin Accutane. I'll have a messed up face (scars) for the rest of my life because I didn't do it sooner.

Catfood- Ugh, you said it, girl!!!! Going for drinks after work, or anywhere for that matter.. Sometimes I have to stop by the grocery store or something- but can't because I have to go home and redo my face. I hate it beyond belief.

May I ask why you stopped treatment the first time? If you don't want to say, you don't have to- but I'm wondering if the side effects or ANYTHING like that had something to do with it?

Yeah, my cysts get...huge to say the least. I get a couple smaller type cysts, also.. which is awful, too. But it's the really big ones that are so embarassing. They're impossible to cover up, and they look awful.. like a disease or something. Ya know what i mean? I feel like people look and wonder what caused that.

So, do you have the skin you want now? Can you go get drinks after work n stuff?? I hope so, you seem like a sweetheart. Keep in touch, ok? Let me know how you are doing, and your skin. I hope to get on accutane, and have these cysts go away. I say this all the time- I can handle small zits, but I CANNOT handle big cysts anymore.

FrankieBGirl, you sound just like me, I can relate 100%.

As for why I went off Accutane early the first time, it was basically just me being stupid. Since my skin cleared up so fast, I just figured why continue? Nope, no problems with side effects or anything like that, it was more me just being lazy and not wanting to deal with the monthly blood tests and stuff because I figured that since my skin was clear, there was no point. Dumb.

I know exactly what you mean. I always thought that I would prefer a face full of smaller zits instead of the 1 or 2 giant lumps on my face that I always had. I felt so ridiculous...like everyone was staring, thinking "what the hell...?" The feeling when you know a cyst is forming and you don't know how bad it's going to be but it just hurts...that's the worst. I haven't had that in months.

When I had a huge cyst, everything was a struggle. I just wanted to lay in bed all day. I missed out on a lot of fun nights not wanting to go out because of my skin!

And yep, I was so envious of people who could run errands and stuff after work...it was always straight home for me to wash up!!

I really encourage you to try Accutane...I know it's scary, but honestly, all I've experienced is drier skin. The only adjustment in my life I've made is that I carry chapstick constantly. Not too much to ask, in my opinion.

I don't know...I just didn't realize how much acne affected my life until I experienced "normal" skin.

Hey,

I like your name, catfood. That made me laugh. Not sure why. Anyway, I just posted. I've been off tane for 2 months. My oil production started coming back after a month and it's quite a bit now only 2 months post tane. But, I don't have any new lesions on my face. My scalp is super oily though.

I guess it's dependant on many individual factors. Don't worry. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Hey catfood, I understand... I just finished 6 months of Accutane about 2 weeks ago and I have the same concerns. I LOVED the dryness of my skin while on Tane. So far, I haven't noticed much difference, but I think it's normal to have most of your oil return. So I'm not counting on this blessing for too much longer!

The good news is that even if the oil returns, your skin should remain a lot clearer... and I know I can deal with some greasiness if at least I am wearing less makeup, you know? Plus it's summer (for the nothern hemisphere, at least)... everyone is sweating more and has that sun-kissed, shiny look going on. At least that's what I'm telling myself!

Good luck hon!

Mae

i used to drive him from high school everyday at lunch, just so i could wash my face. i did the same thing through college, even if it cost me $10 a day (had to take a cab). horrible.

and i avoid leaving the house for more than 3 hrs because of the oil. it's not like you can just go to a mcdonalds or something and wash your face and re-do your make up in front of the whole world.

when i was on tane last yr i was 125 lbs and had a 30mg/day dose for 6 months. and my skin was perfect and then regressed about half a week after my treatment. i'm on tane again but this time at 60mg/day so hopefully the 2nd course will work. i've only been on it since sunday and already my skin is less oily. it's a miracle. biggrin.gif

it's nice to know that other people can relate to me.

~Amy