Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Indoobidubly

What causes razor bumps?

I use an M3 Power and I shave while I'm in the shower with a fog-free mirror.

I've been using Edge's Ultra Sensitive Gel which is fragrance and dye free but I still get the bumps and ingrown hairs.

Should I try something like Edge's Extra Protection gel? Or Gillette's new Comfort Gel?

I guess my question is would more moisturizing help? At this point I'd rather have a few new zits than an ingrown hair or razor bump.

Thanks.

I've been using Edge's Ultra Sensitive Gel which is fragrance and dye free but I still get the bumps and ingrown hairs.

Should I try something like Edge's Extra Protection gel?  Or Gillette's new Comfort Gel?

I guess my question is would more moisturizing help?  At this point I'd rather have a few new zits than an ingrown hair or razor bump.

Thanks.

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say it's probably the razor you're using. I'm not familiar with that particular model, but it sounds like it has 2 or 3 blades. According to the experts, multiple blade razors increase the chance of ingrown hairs because they shave the hair below the level of the skin. Thus, hairs are more likely to grow back into the skin (hence, the 'ingrown' hair).

I started shaving with a single blade razor about 6 or so months ago (believe it called the 'bumpfighter' -- can be found in CVS drug stores), and, knock on wood, the number of razor bumps I get has considerably declined. The downside is that it gives a less close shave. You will always have a bit of a perma-five o'clock shadow if you have thick facial hair.

Also, I'm using a shaving creme (along with aftershave gel) called 'smartshave.' It was developed by the NYC derm, and recommened to me by my derm. I like it a lot, and would recommend it to those with sensitive skin.

I'm a bit skeptical on the M3 power. How many blades does it have 3? And it vibrates? That sounds like it's asking for irritation. I use a mach 3 turbo, it has 3 blades. I don't think the gel you shave with has much to do about irritation. How often do you shave? When shaving make sure you only go over each area once, this is important, also shave with the grain, not against, use long confident stroke. Try this out, and see if that doesn't improve your irritation.

Should I try something like Edge's Extra Protection gel?  Or Gillette's new Comfort Gel?

I guess my question is would more moisturizing help?  At this point I'd rather have a few new zits than an ingrown hair or razor bump.

Thanks.

Try using WAY more gel and make sure its really foamy.

I usually run warm water on my shaving area but since your in the shower while shaving, maybe you should be more gentle.

A REALLY good product for razor bumps and ingrown hairs is "Tendskin". I got a sample and have to say that it works wonders. Just apply it right after you shave and that usually sorts them out.