Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beautifulanyway

should I continue treatments

hello all,

I am new to the board and sooo glad I found it. I am a 37 yr old female with 17 yr old scars. I recently started seeing an esth. main goal was to have an Obagi blue peel. Of course I have to go through the steps prior to this peel which is what I am doing now. I have had 3 peels one surface and the last 2 were vitalize peels which I think (not sure) are medium peels. ( lot of reddness and peeling) I have noticed somevery slight improvement in one area.

but my main concern is I am now seeing more scars than before and things that look like cracked lines connecting the scars. When I spoke to my esth. she gave me the analogy of an old mirror being put away for many years and when you find it the surface looks great but when you wipe away all the dust and dirt you find cracks and dings you never knew where there.

I have what I would consider shallow scars (they dissappear when I pull on my skin) all along my cheeks and temple area but never really allowed them to stand in my way I won't lie I have felt of course self conscious from time to time because of them but it wasn't until recently that I felt the need to do something about it. I think because I am getting older and my skin isn't as tight anymore they were becoming more noticable to me, that was when I decided to see someone.

I am now afraid of continuing any further peels and am completely scared to death to try the blue peel. Can anyone give me insight? Has this happened to anyone else? Is this normal and should I continue with the peels? I am not looking for a miracle I just want some improvement but if it's at the cost of more marks on my face I could do without it.

P.S. please ignore spelling errors couldn't find my old reliable spell check button. biggrin.gif

Thank you all in advance for looking and responding.

Debbie

As far as I know as we get older our scars become more noticeable - as the collagen and elastin fibres break down; trust me, I am NOT looking forward to this at all. I thought peels were meant to resurface and help to stimulate collagen, however the effects seem to be different for everyone....I don't think they would hurt, but if you think things are getting worse maybe give it a couple of weeks before having any more.

As far as I know as we get older our scars become more noticeable - as the collagen and elastin fibres break down;  trust me, I am NOT looking forward to this at all.  I thought peels were meant to resurface and help to stimulate collagen, however the effects seem to be different for everyone....I don't think they would hurt, but if you think things are getting worse maybe give it a couple of weeks before having any more.

I wish I had never listened to the derm about laser for my son's scars. They were much less noticeable. It is like it zapped the skin underneath the scars so that there is nothing to support the skin on top and his scars are much more noticeable. Of course, the derm thinks they look better. Ha!

Debbie, I don't know about that old mirror story. Was that supposed to make you feel better???

I do know that Obagi stuff is way expensive. They will have you dishing out the money until the cows come home. You might want to do a search on Obagi and read all the old posts here. There is loads of info.

I used it for about three months and in the beginning, they acted like it would solve all my problems, but many dollars latter, they started to talk about the blue peel and that seems to be the way it goes...just $300 more and everything will be great....

Also, you might want to check out the 302 product info. Many people here are having good results and it is good for "not so young skin"

Best Wishes on your journey.

trieditall,

Oh, do I know it's expensive, I have sooooo many products I was put on to "prepare my skin" not just the obagi line though. Cost for 6 items over $300.00

then of course the series of peels 90 to 150 dollars a pop.

I have read about the 302 products on here and was actually thinking about it. To me it makes more sense to build up than to tear down the skin.

I was using a product line I bought from hsn and it helped to smooth out my forehead but I started to breakout from it so I had to stop using it.

Thank you for your suggestions I will dig deeper into the 302. Luckily I can get a refund on my purchase from the esth. if I am unhappy with the products.

minnymOuse sorry to hear that about your son. Will any of the damage change or is it permanant now. I REALLY hate when doctors promise us the moon and stars so they can fill there pockets with our money and as moms we want the best for our kids so we will do whatever we can to make them happy and to help to boost their self confidence. I really feel for you on this.

eternallyhopeful- I thought the same thing. My next peel is on June 1, by then I will have decided IF I will continue.

I wish I had never listened to the derm about laser for my son's scars.  They were much less noticeable.  It is like it zapped the skin underneath the scars so that there is nothing to support the skin on top and his scars are much more noticeable.  Of course, the derm thinks they look better.  Ha!

Oh no. Did your son get smoothbeam by chance? I had that and I feel it has wrecked my skin even more. My scars never bothered me so much as they do now, primarily because I scarred worse from smoothbeam w/ the terrible breakouts I got on it and my face looks saggier so the scars show more. Then when I told my doctor I wasn't happy and that I had to go on accutane b/c of the breakout, she said "no doctor in their right mind will put you on accutane, feel your face, it's SMOOTH." It SO is NOT! I can't believe they get away w/ this shit. evil.gif

I can totally relate to your experience with smoothbeam. The texture of my skin is definitely "rougher" after smoothbeam. And this was the clear area, it did nothing for my scars either. They say it's operator dependant, and my operator was supposedly going to be training others across the country for Candela. She has done nothing positive for my skin, only damaging it further, and now she'll be training others. It's such a joke. I don't know how they keep bringing people in for these treatments. Just preying on the scarred, bringing in the money. The whole time telling you about your improvement and how smooth your skin is getting. It's a crime.