Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
americancrewmc

A couple of questions...

I have a derm. app't on the 19th. I have not ever been to a derm, but my hope is that he will prescribe accutane, as my skin does not take well to topical creams. I would rather not waste time as a lab rat, where the derm. tried several methods that inevitably will not work. Will the Derm prescribe accutane rather than having me waste my time with antibiotics, topical creams, BP, etc?

Well, you joined the website 1 month ago. How long have you been researching acne; and what topical creams have you used? I concur, antibiotics are prolonging the inevidible; however, you should understand topicals are great for some people.

Accutane has many side-effects, which I'm sure you're aware of. If I was the dermatologist, and hadn't seen your condition (as you have not been descriptive here), I wouldn't prescribe you accutane. In other words, if you attach a picture and/or describe what kind of lesions you experience, I'd be able to construct a better answer for you.

if you're sure you want to take accutane.. let your derm know that you have taken alot of the topicals and minocin (lie) and that you dont wanna try anything else.. im sure he'll prescrive you accutane

Well, you joined the website 1 month ago. How long have you been researching acne; and what topical creams have you used? I concur, antibiotics are prolonging the inevidible; however, you should understand topicals are great for some people.

Accutane has many side-effects, which I'm sure you're aware of. If I was the dermatologist, and hadn't seen your condition (as you have not been descriptive here), I wouldn't prescribe you accutane. In other words, if you attach a picture and/or describe what kind of lesions you experience, I'd be able to construct a better answer for you.

I've had acne for 4 years. I think I know how my skin works by now.

Okay, background:

I had full blown acne as a senior in H.S. (17). It was the entire face, excluding the neck. I then went on Pro-active, which cleared my cheek are near my nose and my forehead. Nothing more. Currently, I am developing cystic-like acne on my neck, under my jawline, and a few on my chin. I also have had perpetual breakouts on my chin and mid cheek area. Secondly, I get about 2 pimples on my back once in a while.

Guest Marino

Are you serious? Lieing to a derm would be a really sad thing to do. Theres reasons why they just dont dont put anyone on accutane [no that I'm against accutane-just the lieing part].

Seriously americancrewmc dont lie, its for your own good, if topicals work youll save yourslef a hell of lot more money [accutane can cost some people thousands of dollars], time [topical vitamin A takes 3 months-accutane takes 6] and side affects [trust me on this one]. Notice im not promoting antibiotics? Thats coz they worked miracles for me in year 9 but my body [like everyone elses] adapted to the antibiotic and it became useless. Try a retinoid first [like Differin, RetinA] and see how you go, if not try an antibiotic [not a personal favourite] then go for accutane.

In my opinoin you should only go straight on accutane if you have severe acne or badly scaring. For moderate acne it should be a trial and error period first [3-6 months] with other alternatives. As for people with mild acne.... well acutanes just not for you. Again just my 2 cents there.

Guest Marino
if you're sure you want to take accutane.. let your derm know that you have taken alot of the topicals and minocin (lie) and that you dont wanna  try anything else.. im sure he'll prescrive you accutane

Sorry acne_suks, I meant to quote this guy biggrin.gif

I have a derm. app't on the 19th. I have not ever been to a derm, but my hope is that he will prescribe accutane, as my skin does not take well to topical creams. I would rather not waste time as a lab rat, where the derm. tried several methods that inevitably will not work. Will the Derm prescribe accutane rather than having me waste my time with antibiotics, topical creams, BP, etc?

Nope. Most likely your derm will make you try everything else before prescribing Accutane. Accutane is a last resort drug.