Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
prettywoman_really

Calling all "HAIR" taners!

This is my first ever post so forgive me if I am breaking some protocol or anything but - I am an African-American woman in desperate need of a Relaxer for my hair. I am on my 7 week of 'tane' and so far side effects are not that bad. But if anyone knows, relaxers are usually done every 6 weeks, but for me I usually need one ever 4 weeks because my hair is very long and thick! So needless to say, I am WAY overdue!

Does anyone know if I can get a relaxer in my hair? Would it completely burn my scalp since the 'tane' is making my skin so sensitive? I have already given up waxing my eyebrows as recommended in the Rx booklet but I am dying without my relaxer!!! Please somebody help me!

Has anyone gotten a relaxer or perm? Has anyone waxed their brows without problems?

Thanks in advance!

You know, i am pretty sure i was bleaching my hair platinum blonde the last time i was on Accutane with no problems, similarly tough on the scalp. (I'm caucasian though, i know your hair is a lot different, but the scalp itself is about the same, yes?.) Honestly though this is a question you need to ask your dermatologist, and if they give you the go-ahead, make sure you warn your stylist that you are on a med that may cause your scalp to react differently and that they should watch really closely and discontinue immediately if your scalp appears to be burning.

Well, I'm a cosmetologist- so let me see if I can somewhat help you.

First of all, you MIGHT be able to get away with getting a mild/regular relaxer.. as long as it is gentle (What kind do you normally get?)

You said your hair is thick, so that's a good thing.. usually thick hair accompanies a thick scalp...which can take harsher chemicals.

BUT! You NEED to let your stylist know that you are on accutane. I can't stress that enough. He or She will have to make the judgement call on how healthy your hair is, and how long to leave the relaxer on for. I doubt you will get it as straight as you want, because extra caution needs to be taken while you are on tane... but it'll be better than without. I know it sucks, but it's only a few months!

Well, I'm a cosmetologist- so let me see if I can somewhat help you.

First of all, you MIGHT be able to get away with getting a mild/regular relaxer.. as long as it is gentle (What kind do you normally get?)

You said your hair is thick, so that's a good thing.. usually thick hair accompanies a thick scalp...which can take harsher chemicals.

BUT! You NEED to let your stylist know that you are on accutane.  I can't stress that enough.  He or She will have to make the judgement call on how healthy your hair is, and how long to leave the relaxer on for. I doubt you will get it as straight as you want, because extra caution needs to be taken while you are on tane... but it'll be better than without.  I know it sucks, but it's only a few months!

Oh yay!!! There's another girl on the forum who loves Frankie B's too. They're the best jeans.. Sevens are awesome, too!

Well, I figured you took super's.. so that's why I had mentioned mild or regular. Regular is probably going to be fine with your hair type. Just mention it to them, though. That's vital.

Your hair shouldn't be coming out in clumps, no. But, on Accutane- I believe that is somewhat the norm. About braiding it.. I'm not sure if this really matters, but I would think that's probably not the best idea. Braiding is pretty tight, and yanking at the scalp and braids usually do cause some hair to fall out when being taken out, dont they? (I don't do them unless I put in certain types of extentions, but it's usually on caucasion hair types. I have a girl in my salon that does all african american hair, and she was telling me something about hair coming out when the braids are taken out because the scalp is being pulled and can't breathe).. that could cause your hair to fall out more than it is. I could be completely wrong, but I'm just thinking maybe... What do you think?

Anyway.. Good luck girl, How's your skin??

Oh yay!!!  There's another girl on the forum who loves Frankie B's too.  They're the best jeans.. Sevens are awesome, too!

Well, I figured you took super's.. so that's why I had mentioned mild or regular.  Regular is probably going to be fine with your hair type.  Just mention it to them, though.  That's vital.

Your hair shouldn't be coming out in clumps, no.  But, on Accutane- I believe that is somewhat the norm.  About braiding it.. I'm not sure if this really matters, but I would think that's probably not the best idea.  Braiding is pretty tight, and yanking at the scalp and braids usually do cause some hair to fall out when being taken out, dont they? (I don't do them unless I put in certain types of extentions, but it's usually on caucasion hair types. I have a girl in my salon that does all african american hair, and she was telling me something about hair coming out when the braids are taken out because the scalp is being pulled and can't breathe).. that could cause your hair to fall out more than it is.  I could be completely wrong, but I'm just thinking maybe...  What do you think?

Anyway.. Good luck girl, How's your skin??

Hey pretty, No problem!!! You are so welcome.

Yeah, I definately think that braids might not be the best idea right now. Ask your stylist, of course. She could probably think something up for you to do for these next couple of months. Do you have a flat iron? You might want to invest in a flat iron, and really get in those roots with that. I think a flat iron is less damaging than a blowdryer because in order to get the hair straight- you have to pull, and pull and pull with a round brush (Unless you are relaxed, then just use the comb attachment) But a flat iron just glides over the hair. So, in my opinion- get a flat iron if you can!! Also, I always reccomend Aveda Composition Oils. They are specially formulated for the scalp, and I think you should do scalp massages in between relaxers with the oils so it keeps your scalp healthy and hydrated. (im sure u know this but dont do any massages right before a relaxer!)

Well, usually when people get bumped up from one dosage to another, it seems they get a 2nd breakout. So, that is pretty normal and should go away soon. My breakouts are so ridiculous.. I get hormonal breakouts too- and it's frusterating because it seems like nothing helps them. Are you on a birth control pill? Usually they say, that a bcp will help with hormonal acne. So far I have seen no change in mine. I just want Accutane!!

I want a glow! LOL What have you noticed about your skin being different on accutane? (moreso on the 40 mgs when you had the glow) Were you clear at that time? This whole process is so frusterating, isn't it? Well.. Just know that we are here for you whenever you have questions or concerns!!! Don't hesitate to write!

Sorry I'm not of African descent, but I do colour my hair with semi-permanent colour at the hair dresser's. It did irritate my scalp a lot when I did...I imagine that if I permed my hair it would burn my scalp! I'd wait if I were you.

My sister-in-law and neices are of African descent, and they straighten their hair somewhat by wrapping some papery stuff around their heads and sitting under one of those old-fashioned dryers for ages...it's quite the process. I must say that my favourite 'do on them is in tiny braids, especially when they pull them back into a ponytail.

Cashmira biggrin.gif